Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 Genie: Version 0x05D3 - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
302 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

Jib - maybe you need to add toner?? :D
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

HR34 0x5d3 12:30 pm PST.

That Looks fun!

#103 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:04 PM

The autocorrect is again too short after a 2x sprint through commercials. Almost always needs another 12 to 18 seconds rewind. My reactions are a bit better than average, I think.

Also, and this is a continuing problem: When watching a recording and having some graphic overlay (timebar or info, say), EXIT sometimes clears the graphic (correct) and sometimes exits the recording (very incorrect).
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#104 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:21 AM

This is for my HR34 friends. What do you think?

"I was watching my TV yesterday in the split screen mode. One picture was from my HR34 and the other was from my HR24. Both receivers were tuned to the same station, MSNBC 356. Both tuner pictures were in real-time, i.e. no delay. I was doing this to check my PROGRAM GUIDE for each receiver and still watch and listen to the program in the other split screen. Then came a fade to black to a commercial break. Guess what? The HR34 screen had one set of commercials and the HR24 screen had another completely different set of commercials! Then after the commercials, a fade to black and the regular identical 356 program came back simultaneously in both screens, i.e. both tuners. Anyone? It's been many years since I took LSD."

#105 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,606 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:52 AM

Probably one had local commercials loaded to be inserted into the program, and the other receiver didn't.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#106 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:42 PM

This morning my lovely wife said "The TV is all screwed up". A recorded program was supposed to be playing. But instead the top half of a still frame would pop up for a split second and then the screen would go black for a second then the half frame flashes on ad infinitum. No response to the remote. So RBR and it started working.

It was bad as an HR34, it is horrible as a genie. Does not grant wishes very well.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#107 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

This morning my lovely wife said "The TV is all screwed up". A recorded program was supposed to be playing. But instead the top half of a still frame would pop up for a split second and then the screen would go black for a second then the half frame flashes on ad infinitum. No response to the remote. So RBR and it started working.

It was bad as an HR34, it is horrible as a genie. Does not grant wishes very well.

You need a different unit. Im sorry, but your issues are far to often and above the norm IMHO. It's either your wiring and system, or an actual bad receiver. I'd ask for a replacement.

My folks, who don't participate in any ce testing etc, have had one for six months, and the only complaint I ever get from them is some of the other DVRs falling off, and im pretty sure that's actually a issue with the other units and not the HR34 at their house. And I hear about every tech issue they ever have.

#108 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

DVRs falling off by that I guess you mean not on the combined playlist, is a common problem on these threads with the Genie nee HR34.

And most folks we see with DVRs don't really use them at all. Hardly any series recordings, once in a while a recorded program, don't use double play, have no idea that you can pick up the buffer if you don't turn it off (standby) don't ever build a buffer to skip commercials. No clue at all even when you explain the features and walk them through how to use them. All they have with a DVR is a remote instead of going up to the TV to twist a knob and change the channels. Yes some are running TVs with only a coax input and a knob to change the channels. So of course they are not going to run into any glitches. They never poke at that part of the software.

#109 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

DVRs falling off by that I guess you mean not on the combined playlist, is a common problem on these threads with the Genie nee HR34.

And most folks we see with DVRs don't really use them at all. Hardly any series recordings, once in a while a recorded program, don't use double play, have no idea that you can pick up the buffer if you don't turn it off (standby) don't ever build a buffer to skip commercials. No clue at all even when you explain the features and walk them through how to use them. All they have with a DVR is a remote instead of going up to the TV to twist a knob and change the channels. Yes some are running TVs with only a coax input and a knob to change the channels. So of course they are not going to run into any glitches. They never poke at that part of the software.

You issues seem to go far beyond lost buffers and DVRs dropping of the playlists... Which I think is more of a hr2x issue than a genie issue... Have your DVRs gotten the latest firmware for the hr2xs?

#110 OFFLINE   tom74

tom74

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

No, I sure don't. Unless you're running out of room, I'd let 'er go as she is, and then do some investigating. History may reveal something, and do please report what you find!

I left the duplicate recordings alone and they were all recorded twice. If you clear out the series and reset it up it fixes the problem however, it seems that the cause of the duplicate recordings is any receiver resets. When a reset is done that is when duplicates show up in the to do list. You reset the series and all is fine until the next reset. With my particular duplicate issues it seems to pick on series setups from local channels ( abc, NBC, CBS, Fox). I have yet to see it with a national cable channel series recording.

#111 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,606 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

I left the duplicate recordings alone and they were all recorded twice. If you clear out the series and reset it up it fixes the problem however, it seems that the cause of the duplicate recordings is any receiver resets. When a reset is done that is when duplicates show up in the to do list. You reset the series and all is fine until the next reset. With my particular duplicate issues it seems to pick on series setups from local channels ( abc, NBC, CBS, Fox). I have yet to see it with a national cable channel series recording.

Interesting! I wonder if something in the coding of the locals could be making that happen. (?). I've not seen anyone post that the duplicates are a persistent problem, at least not as you've described.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#112 OFFLINE   don s

don s

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

So.... Though my replacement HR34 is allowing me to see recordings on the other DVRs in my home, I am again starting to experience drop offs again where remote viewing is dropped.

I can for now reset the box and multi room viewing get re-established (which I was unable to do with the other unit), but it is still really irritating that I still am having issues with remote viewing. DTV continues to say it is a "known issue", but it is getting infuriating. I'm just glad that for the moment I have a workaround. Annoying, but better than nothing for now.

DTV needs to get this software fixed soon ...

#113 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:14 AM

So.... Though my replacement HR34 is allowing me to see recordings on the other DVRs in my home, I am again starting to experience drop offs again where remote viewing is dropped.

I can for now reset the box and multi room viewing get re-established (which I was unable to do with the other unit), but it is still really irritating that I still am having issues with remote viewing. DTV continues to say it is a "known issue", but it is getting infuriating. I'm just glad that for the moment I have a workaround. Annoying, but better than nothing for now.

DTV needs to get this software fixed soon ...

What firmware do have on all your units?

How is your system wired? Are you using deca? How is your system bridged to the Internet?

#114 OFFLINE   don s

don s

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:07 AM

What firmware do have on all your units?

How is your system wired? Are you using deca? How is your system bridged to the Internet?

The DTV installer set it all up in Feb of this year, and all was fine for a long time. WH was working fine until a firmware update on the HR34 about 4 months ago broke the whole home functionality between my HR34 and the HR24s. The latest firmware is on the 34 and the 24s.

It was all working ... until it suddenly wasn't. It clearly was the software. After the update I would lose multi-room viewing with the 34. The HR 34 couldn't see recordings in other rooms and vice versa. The HR24s all continued to work just fine between each other. I tried resets and static IPs, etc. Nothing fixed it. After months of calling DTV and being told it was a "known issue", I finally got a replacement HR34, figuring I had nothing to lose.

The new box worked just fine for 5 days or so. However now it is - AGAIN - occasionally losing connection with the other DVRs - it can't see recordings in other rooms and vice versa. (The HR24s all continue to work just fine between each other). The difference with this box so far is that I can reset it and regain multi-room viewing apparently. I couldn't even to that with the previous unit.

The WH problem is not consistent, it is not presenting for all users, and apparently is quite known to DTV. It is irritating to the Nth degree for me at this point - especially considering that there were no issues at all with me before August or so ..

#115 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:08 AM

The autocorrect is again too short after a 2x sprint through commercials. Almost always needs another 12 to 18 seconds rewind. My reactions are a bit better than average, I think.

I've been harping about the HR34's failure to autocorrect after FFWD > PLAY ever since I got mine nine months ago. My HR23 and HR24 autocorrect just fine. As many times as I posted about this, and as many times I have written DTV, it appears they are not concerned with this issue.

#116 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

You issues seem to go far beyond lost buffers and DVRs dropping of the playlists... Which I think is more of a hr2x issue than a genie issue... Have your DVRs gotten the latest firmware for the hr2xs?

Do you have a Genie nee HR34?

#117 OFFLINE   tonydi

tonydi

Mentor

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

I've been harping about the HR34's failure to autocorrect after FFWD > PLAY ever since I got mine nine months ago. My HR23 and HR24 autocorrect just fine. As many times as I posted about this, and as many times I have written DTV, it appears they are not concerned with this issue.

I don't know if it's that they aren't concerned, or if they can't reproduce it. My HR34 works perfectly with the autocorrect, always has. My neighbor's does as well.

Same with most of the issues that Jerry_K, has, neither of us sees hardly any of his problems.

I've got the HR34, two H25's and one HR24 with whole home and internet. Never had an issue with seeing/playing recordings across the network. I also use static IP's for everything, the boxes and my TV's.

That being said, there seem to be a few common things that everyone sees, like the weird deal with deleting a future recording and having it tell you it's recording, yet that's survived one firmware update unfixed.

All in all, mine's working pretty well. I think the only bug I've got is that future recording thing. I just hope and pray that they don't break something in future updates.

And I need to stop posting how well mine works because I just know I'm going to jinx things. :eek2:

#118 OFFLINE   EyeRonik1

EyeRonik1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:12 PM

Perhaps I'm the only one but, has anyone else looked at their "to do list" and seen series recordings set-up to record in duplicate ( 2 recordings for the same episode at the same time) even though only one series recording is set-up? I'm not sure yet if it will actually record twice or if it just the list that is funky.

I frequently have the same program recording multiple times. This is far from the biggest issue I have so with my HR34 so I haven't pursued it.

The biggest problem by far is performance. Most of the time performance is fine, much of the time it is quite slow, and occasionally (about once a week) it can take minutes to open the Now Playing list. A reboot fixes it but I don't want to interrupt current recordings.

It often takes so long that the window times out and exits before it populates.

#119 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

Do you have a Genie nee HR34?

Yes I do. 100 series links. Some are boolean arsls. Watch remote recordings and live often. To and from the genie. I just don't see the stuff you post that no one else seems to either. I have the delete from to do list bug and such, which is getting worked on, but you have some really outlier issues IMHO.

#120 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

The DTV installer set it all up in Feb of this year, and all was fine for a long time. WH was working fine until a firmware update on the HR34 about 4 months ago broke the whole home functionality between my HR34 and the HR24s. The latest firmware is on the 34 and the 24s.

It was all working ... until it suddenly wasn't. It clearly was the software. After the update I would lose multi-room viewing with the 34. The HR 34 couldn't see recordings in other rooms and vice versa. The HR24s all continued to work just fine between each other. I tried resets and static IPs, etc. Nothing fixed it. After months of calling DTV and being told it was a "known issue", I finally got a replacement HR34, figuring I had nothing to lose.

The new box worked just fine for 5 days or so. However now it is - AGAIN - occasionally losing connection with the other DVRs - it can't see recordings in other rooms and vice versa. (The HR24s all continue to work just fine between each other). The difference with this box so far is that I can reset it and regain multi-room viewing apparently. I couldn't even to that with the previous unit.

The WH problem is not consistent, it is not presenting for all users, and apparently is quite known to DTV. It is irritating to the Nth degree for me at this point - especially considering that there were no issues at all with me before August or so ..

So it sounds like you have 628 on your hr2xs. It also sounds like your system is setup to work over deca but you haven't said how your system is bridged to your home network.

A couple things. One do you have unpn turned on your router? If so its likely causing issues.

Personally as a test I'd disconnect your deca cloud from the home network, completely reset all networking settings and in all dtv boxes and then see what happens not using any fixed ip addresses or interacting with you home network. Let them get their own 169 addresses and talk to just themselves and see if anything changes. It's simple to do and may help elevate your frustration.

spam firewall