Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 Genie: Version 0x05D3 - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
302 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   don s

don s

Mentor

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

So it sounds like you have 628 on your hr2xs. It also sounds like your system is setup to work over deca but you haven't said how your system is bridged to your home network.

A couple things. One do you have unpn turned on your router? If so its likely causing issues.

Personally as a test I'd disconnect your deca cloud from the home network, completely reset all networking settings and in all dtv boxes and then see what happens not using any fixed ip addresses or interacting with you home network. Let them get their own 169 addresses and talk to just themselves and see if anything changes. It's simple to do and may help elevate your frustration.

Thanks for the suggestions.
-My system is bridged via ethernet via the DECA Broadband connector to my home router
- I have tried previously disconnecting from the home network with the old box, that didn't help.
- I did have uPNP turned on withing the router. I'll try turning it off and see what happens (though I might need it for other applications.)

Thanks again ...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

Yes I do. 100 series links. Some are boolean arsls. Watch remote recordings and live often. To and from the genie. I just don't see the stuff you post that no one else seems to either. I have the delete from to do list bug and such, which is getting worked on, but you have some really outlier issues IMHO.

None that are not reported from time to time by others too.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#123 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

A couple things. One do you have unpn turned on your router? If so its likely causing issues.

Personally as a test I'd disconnect your deca cloud from the home network, completely reset all networking settings and in all dtv boxes and then see what happens not using any fixed ip addresses or interacting with you home network. Let them get their own 169 addresses and talk to just themselves and see if anything changes. It's simple to do and may help elevate your frustration.

I'm having an issue with my DirecTV Genie system (1 HR34 and 2 C31s) where the C31s will lose the ability to watch video (live or recorded) after a certain period of time.

I've tried numerous things to no avail. I'm curious as to what the effects are of disconnecting my HR34 from the Internet? Do I just lose the On-Demand functionality and obvious Internet services (youtube, etc). I'd be willing to forgo those features for now if I can get my C31 receivers to stay running and not have to reboot my HR34 daily to keep MRV working. I just want to make sure that I'll continue to receive updates to the programming guide and that the WHDVR will continue to work as normal without an Internet connection.

#124 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,318 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

I'm having an issue with my DirecTV Genie system (1 HR34 and 2 C31s) where the C31s will lose the ability to watch video (live or recorded) after a certain period of time.

I've tried numerous things to no avail. I'm curious as to what the effects are of disconnecting my HR34 from the Internet? Do I just lose the On-Demand functionality and obvious Internet services (youtube, etc). I'd be willing to forgo those features for now if I can get my C31 receivers to stay running and not have to reboot my HR34 daily to keep MRV working. I just want to make sure that I'll continue to receive updates to the programming guide and that the WHDVR will continue to work as normal without an Internet connection.

The disconnect from the Internet is a way to help determine where the issue may be coming from, not really a fix IMHO. With that said, all guide data and firmware updates come via sat, so there is zero worry about that if you disconnect the Internet.

I saw someone mention it looks like they have been pushing out a new update for the c31s so you might want to see what happens after you get that. What firmware do you have right now on your c31? Press and hold select on the remote for 12 seconds or longer, and then release and you will have a screen pop p on the c31 that will tell you your current firmware....

How often are glowing video? There is a coax network signal strength screen I can point you to to see if maybe your issue is related to your wiring.

#125 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:33 PM

The disconnect from the Internet is a way to help determine where the issue may be coming from, not really a fix IMHO. With that said, all guide data and firmware updates come via sat, so there is zero worry about that if you disconnect the Internet.

I agree that it's more of a troubleshooting tool than a fix. But if it's between leaving it disconnected vs. having to reboot the HR34 daily, I'll take the former. It's good to know it shouldn't cause any ill effects for my usage.

I saw someone mention it looks like they have been pushing out a new update for the c31s so you might want to see what happens after you get that. What firmware do you have right now on your c31? Press and hold select on the remote for 12 seconds or longer, and then release and you will have a screen pop p on the c31 that will tell you your current firmware....

Indeed, I also received an update for the C31 today. I'm running version 0x709 now. The date next to the version shows as 11/2 as opposed to today's date, though. I forget what the old version was that it was running? I'm pretty sure the old date was on 10/19, though.

How often are glowing video? There is a coax network signal strength screen I can point you to to see if maybe your issue is related to your wiring.

Glowing video? My C31 devices have stopped showing video (live or recorded) within 24 hours of a RBR of the HR34. It has occassionally gone a little longer although I can't remember it going for more than two days without running into this problem.

If you want to pass along that coax network signal strength screen, I'll be more than happy to run through those test.

For now, I'll let this new C31 version run with the Ethernet still connected to the HR34. I should know within a day or so if it resolved the issue or not.

#126 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,318 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:08 PM

I agree that it's more of a troubleshooting tool than a fix. But if it's between leaving it disconnected vs. having to reboot the HR34 daily, I'll take the former. It's good to know it shouldn't cause any ill effects for my usage.

Indeed, I also received an update for the C31 today. I'm running version 0x709 now. The date next to the version shows as 11/2 as opposed to today's date, though. I forget what the old version was that it was running? I'm pretty sure the old date was on 10/19, though.

Glowing video? My C31 devices have stopped showing video (live or recorded) within 24 hours of a RBR of the HR34. It has occassionally gone a little longer although I can't remember it going for more than two days without running into this problem.

If you want to pass along that coax network signal strength screen, I'll be more than happy to run through those test.

For now, I'll let this new C31 version run with the Ethernet still connected to the HR34. I should know within a day or so if it resolved the issue or not.

The date is the date the software was finished being built, not the date it was downloaded. :)

What, doesn't everyone's c31 glow ominously? Haha.. Love autocorrect sometimes.

Press guide and right arrow at the same time on the front panel of your HR34. Then in the system diagnostics screen choose coax network, and post your results. Then also choose phy rate mesh and let us know what that says...

You might even want to post all that in the ask vos thread here...

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=200715

You shouldn't need to reboot daily to get the c31s to work right.

#127 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:10 PM

The date is the date the software was finished being built, not the date it was downloaded. :)

Ahh! That makes sense.

Press guide and right arrow at the same time on the front panel of your HR34. Then in the system diagnostics screen choose coax network, and post your results. Then also choose phy rate mesh and let us know what that says...

Here are the results from those two tests:

Posted Image

Posted Image

You might even want to post all that in the ask vos thread here...

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=200715

You shouldn't need to reboot daily to get the c31s to work right.

I read through the thread a bit and it looks like my numbers should be within acceptable levels? It doesn't appear that the problem lies within my home wiring, but if you see something that I don't, please tell.

Thanks again for all the help!

#128 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,318 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

Ahh! That makes sense.

Here are the results from those two tests:

I read through the thread a bit and it looks like my numbers should be within acceptable levels? It doesn't appear that the problem lies within my home wiring, but if you see something that I don't, please tell.

Thanks again for all the help!

That dropped session count at 37 is a big problem.. I suggest asking vos (veryoldschool) in that thread what he would suggest. Curios, are these the only three things in your system? No other recovers? Did they use a 4 way splitter or eight way?

#129 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

That dropped session count at 37 is a big problem.. I suggest asking vos (veryoldschool) in that thread what he would suggest. Curios, are these the only three things in your system? No other recovers? Did they use a 4 way splitter or eight way?

In that thread, there was another guy who had a dropped session count of 52, but VOS replied back to him with "Dropped session count is due to the C31s, so you'll need to dismiss that for now". So I assumed my 37 was alright, but I'll post in that thread to make sure.

Yes, I just have three receivers in my system for now. The one HR34 and two C31 clients.

They used a 4-way splitter for my install.

#130 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:53 AM

Indeed, I also received an update for the C31 today. I'm running version 0x709 now.

The C31 issue isn't resolved for me. I just unplugged the HR34 from the network to see if that will have any positive effect.

I wonder if I should move this topic to the C31 thread? Seemingly, that is the receiver that is getting hung up? But then again, it's a reset of the HR34 that always fixes the problem?

#131 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,318 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:13 AM

The C31 issue isn't resolved for me. I just unplugged the HR34 from the network to see if that will have any positive effect.

I wonder if I should move this topic to the C31 thread? Seemingly, that is the receiver that is getting hung up? But then again, it's a reset of the HR34 that always fixes the problem?

Give vos more info and ask what else he might suggest in his thread. Since you have disconnected it from the net, personally, I'd also reset all network defaults too.

#132 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:24 AM

Give vos more info and ask what else he might suggest in his thread. Since you have disconnected it from the net, personally, I'd also reset all network defaults too.

VOs was really helpful in this thread that I posted about the issue with other things that I might try. Sadly, I've pretty much run through the gambit of things to try with his help, but to no real avail.

We'll see if being disconnected from the IP network does anything. My network settings should still all be the default settings, but I can reset those as well just to be sure.

#133 OFFLINE   Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

After reading this thread I am not sure I want my new box tomorrow it seems like the same issues over and over again with D* I have benn with them for over 15 years now and some things just never change.

#134 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:02 PM

After reading this thread I am not sure I want my new box tomorrow it seems like the same issues over and over again with D* I have benn with them for over 15 years now and some things just never change.

Got my HR34 a couple of months ago, I have no problems with it.
HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#135 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

But Steve is right.

I had this exact same question before I got mine. Yes, it is typical DirecTV, fixing the software after it's been released. But the level of frustration isn't nearly as bad as it has been in the past. I've had problems with this software but it is one recording dropped, not a dozen. Since I rebooted, it hasn't come back. More than 99% of the time my HR34 preforms very well.

It's still quirky - yesterday the Delete option mysteriously disappeared from the menu just as I was getting ready to delete a show. Simply closing and reopening the window solved the problem. I really wish DirecTV would fix the fast scan so that it stops correctly, like all the other DVRs. It's stuff like that.

I like mine a lot and would get it again in an instant.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#136 OFFLINE   Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

Glad to hear some good reports I know these boards are for problems and you never hear the good stuff

#137 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,318 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

Glad to hear some good reports I know these boards are for problems and you never hear the good stuff

Genie kicks but overall. A few people have some major issues, as would be expected, but fort he majority, the most the small issues aren't even noticed, if they even have them. Its well worth it to have a genie.

#138 OFFLINE   don s

don s

Mentor

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

So it sounds like you have 628 on your hr2xs. It also sounds like your system is setup to work over deca but you haven't said how your system is bridged to your home network.

At the risk of jinxing things, after following your advice and turned off uPNP on my router, and so far I have had a solid multi-room connection without a single drop. It's been a week now. I can't say if that was it for sure - as there were a mix of causes I suspect - but I do know for about a week it has been great. <fingers remain crossed> Thanks !

#139 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:32 PM

Started having delays entering commands from the remote which started a couple days ago. Had to wait 20 to 30 seconds and then it would run through all the commands. Also, about 30 second delay when exiting from a recording, while a couple new programs were recording. Did a reset and its been good for a day or so.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#140 OFFLINE   Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

I can't believe there is no optical out put on the Genie what were they thinking? Thanks to a great tech he was able to find a way to do it through my tv so I am good but still can't believe they left this out of the box.

For what is worth he told me they are working on a 10 tuner box now and should be out within the year

Protected By... spam firewall...And...