Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 Genie: Version 0x05D3 - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
302 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

I can't believe there is no optical out put on the Genie what were they thinking? Thanks to a great tech he was able to find a way to do it through my tv so I am good but still can't believe they left this out of the box.

For what is worth he told me they are working on a 10 tuner box now and should be out within the year

There is no way a tech knows that from a reliable source. Besides, ten tuners is too much for most D* systems.

LR: 50" Samsung plasma, Samsung bluray, HR24, Roku, Denon AVR-1912, URC MX-450 with RF.

BR1: 32" Sony LCD, H25, SnapAV HDMI balun.

BR2: 32" Acer LCD, HR24, Xbox One.

Bonus: 70" Vizio, H25, SnapAV HDMI balun

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#142 OFFLINE   Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

There is no way a tech knows that from a reliable source. Besides, ten tuners is too much for most D* systems.

Like I said take it for what it is worth

#143 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

Yeah, 10 tuners wouldn't make sense. It would have to have two coax inputs so it could run off of two legs of a SWM16, since each leg could only handle 8 tuners. then you'd have to keep track of which coax went to which input on the DVR because I would think that only one input would handle the 8 tuners, and the other would only handle 2.

Now a single DVR/HMC with 8 tuners I could understand, and I was kind of suprised that wasn't what DirecTV did with the HR34 in the first place. However, if they knew that the C31 wasn't going to be ready to be released at the same time as the HR34 then it makes a bit more sense. They would have had to keep the HR34 tuner count low enough to allow it to be used with a few (3) H25 or H24 receivers so they didn't have to install a SWM16 all the time.

I think a new HMC box with 8 tuners, that could stream out to 6 clients at a time would be a great idea, and I might even consider switching over to it.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#144 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:58 AM

I was recording a football game the other day. I pressed the play button now and then just to check the time and, as expected, the time bar line was orange, meaning the game was in fact recording to the hard drive. Everyone knows that. Then I keyed in a channel with the remote and the HR34 of course switched to that channel. Then I pressed the PREV button and went back to the football game. Guess what? The entire orange time line was gone. Somehow the HR34 erased the recorded football game all on its own.

#145 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

I was recording a football game the other day. I pressed the play button now and then just to check the time and, as expected, the time bar line was orange, meaning the game was in fact recording to the hard drive. Everyone knows that. Then I keyed in a channel with the remote and the HR34 of course switched to that channel. Then I pressed the PREV button and went back to the football game. Guess what? The entire orange time line was gone. Somehow the HR34 erased the recorded football game all on its own.

You sure about that, or did the HR34 just start using a different tuner than the one that was recording that channel? Is the game actually gone from the playlist?
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#146 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,342 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

The program isn't truly recording unless it shows up in List. It sounds like you lost the buffer for that game, which shouldn't happen, but seems to a bit more on the '34s than others.

A safeguard, one I use if I care at all about seeing whatever it is, is to actually hit the Record button. Too many ways the buffer can be wiped accidentally by the user, nevermind software glitches.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#147 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

I did a search for the AM21 in this thread and there were no hits, so I hope this is a new question. I just talked to DTV, and they told me that the AM21 (which allows for over-the-air recording) does not work with the HR34 (DTV likes to call it the Genie).

Is this true? That means there's no way to record OTA with this DVR. When you have a rain fade-out that means your out-of-luck.
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#148 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

I've read a few other threads and it sure seems like it works with the HR34, some of you guys are doing it.

So if DTV tells me it doesn't work, can I still order it from them? How much does it cost? I've got an order where they comped me an HR34, can I ask them to comp the AM21?

I really want OTA?
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#149 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

I can't believe there is no optical out put on the Genie what were they thinking? Thanks to a great tech he was able to find a way to do it through my tv so I am good but still can't believe they left this out of the box.

Steve, a coax digital connector is generally considered superior to an optical one, so if they were going to only have one type, it should be a coaxial one.

The supposition is that only having one type of digital output is a cost saving move.

Coaxial to optical converters are cheap, generally around $15. Here's a typical one from Amazon for $16.74.

http://www.amazon.co...tical converter

So how do you like your box?
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#150 OFFLINE   natureboy

natureboy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

Thinking about getting a Genie. A question I have is can you watch shows recorded on a another hd dvr H23 that is in the bedroom on a tv in the living room that is hooked up to the Genie.

#151 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,342 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

Thinking about getting a Genie. A question I have is can you watch shows recorded on a another hd dvr H23 that is in the bedroom on a tv in the living room that is hooked up to the Genie.

Yes. With Whole Home service, that is.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#152 OFFLINE   RD in Fla

RD in Fla

Icon

• Registered
  • 523 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

Anyone having an issue with YouTube? Internet is connected, Pandora works great, but any YouTube search I do comes back with "check your Internet connection." What gives?

#153 OFFLINE   srfrdan

srfrdan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

how do u get genie when the website says not yet available

#154 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

how do u get genie when the website says not yet available

You call and order.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#155 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:14 AM

This has happened to me a lot lately. It's happened before with other HR34 software. I am watching a recorded video. Then I switch to a tuner input and watch it for a while. Then I hit PREV to go back to the recorded video. It goes back when I hit RESUME, but to a place in the video way way earlier than when I originally left it. It keeps going back to that exact same earlier place repeatedly when I try the same thing again later on in the recorded video. Anyone else? Thanks.

Edited by jibberyerkibber, 24 November 2012 - 07:15 AM.
add stuff

#156 OFFLINE   tonydi

tonydi

Mentor

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

Mine doesn't do that, it returns to the recorded show within a fraction of a second of where it was when I switched away. Oh, I'm using the Exit button to drop out of the recording and back to live, in case the method makes a difference.

#157 OFFLINE   augisdad

augisdad

AllStar

• Registered
  • 120 posts
  • LocationKC area

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

3x over the weekend turned the TV on to a frozen buffer. Also had buffer dumped numerous times after watching a recording. FF sometimes jumps to reverse, and had it once jump all the way back to the beginning of a recording. Genie is off and I keep the HR34 unit on all the time.
HR20-100 since 2008 w/27" Sony SDTV
HR34 since 4/3/2012 w/47" Mitsubishi HDTV
HMC since 4/3/2012

#158 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

I have had all these issues and a few more scattered about.... Direct TV asked on FB the other day, "This season my holiday shopping list includes_______________! ,,, My answer was "The hope that a update comes out so the Genie can work as it should"

Cant say it any simpler than that.

#159 OFFLINE   drs23

drs23

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

DVRs falling off by that I guess you mean not on the combined playlist, is a common problem on these threads with the Genie nee HR34.

And most folks we see with DVRs don't really use them at all. Hardly any series recordings, once in a while a recorded program, don't use double play, have no idea that you can pick up the buffer if you don't turn it off (standby) don't ever build a buffer to skip commercials. No clue at all even when you explain the features and walk them through how to use them. All they have with a DVR is a remote instead of going up to the TV to twist a knob and change the channels. Yes some are running TVs with only a coax input and a knob to change the channels. So of course they are not going to run into any glitches. They never poke at that part of the software.

New to the forum. Found it by searching for a fix for the remote that quit working over the holidays in my wife's office. Glad I stumbled upon it!

As to the bolded: Hey! I resemble that remark!

I've had Direct TV for about 2 1/2 years now and didn't know about these features.

The bottom line as condensed as possible. My wife's remote went out over the weekend so I got online to see if I could find a fix and found this site. There was a post by one of the mods (female, don't recall her name) who mentioned an free upgrade to the Genie was being offered. I called DTV and after a brief time on hold the rep came back and informed me that I'm eligible for a free upgrade to the Genie plus one satellite receiver as well as a free replacement for the defective remote. After reading about all the issues with it from reading this forum all morning I'm not sure I did the right thing but it's being installed tomorrow morning.

Now the questions.

1) Where does one go to learn about the above mentioned features such as "build a buffer to skip commercials". How is this done?

2) Does anyone know if the "satellite" receiver has pause/FF features?

3) Is it possible to hook up my surround sound to these newer DVRs? I haven't even tried it since the DTV install because it itimidated the hell outta me. :D I'm sure there's got to be a way but I don't know that I have the right receiver, it's kinda old, probably obsolete in this arena.

That's it for now but I'm sure there'll be more to come.

Thanks
Sent from my keyboard using my short, fat fingers.

#160 OFFLINE   Capmeister

Capmeister

Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

1) Where does one go to learn about the above mentioned features such as "build a buffer to skip commercials". How is this done?

I just record the show and then start watching in about 15 or 20 mins in, from the beginning. You can also leave the tuner on that channel, hit pause, and 15 or 20 mins later, hit play again, and watch.

2) Does anyone know if the "satellite" receiver has pause/FF features?

Only if it's one of the DVRs (Digital Video Recorders). If it has an R in the model (HR22, HR34, etc.) it can do that.

3) Is it possible to hook up my surround sound to these newer DVRs? I haven't even tried it since the DTV install because it itimidated the hell outta me. :D I'm sure there's got to be a way but I don't know that I have the right receiver, it's kinda old, probably obsolete in this arena.

Sure.

For example, the HR34 has both digital audio out and optical audio out.

My TV has that, so I just use HDMI for everything into the TV and then go OUT from my TV to my surround system. Makes it easier for me. :)
--Cap

-------------------------
TVSHOWBOARDS.COM

Protected By... spam firewall...And...