Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help! I'm totally confused and need advice

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Justinphilly

Justinphilly

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:43 AM

First, I apologize if these questions have been answered in previous threads somewhere. I tried reading through, but found it overwhelming. Here's the situation I have, and I'm a total noob so bear with me.

Currently set up with the HMC, which I believe is the H-34. Also, I have 3 h25's. I have the whole home thing set up, so I can watch/delete things from any room.

Issue #1- I cannot pause/rewind TV. I know I can opt to record what I'm watching, and then rewind but that's too complicated for wife and mother in law. I'd like to have that option.

Issue #2- I cannot order or select to download on demand content. Again, I know I can hop on the HMC and do it, but again too complicated for wife and mother in law.

Issue #3- more often then not, when I am watching recorded content on one of my tv's that are using the h25's, in the middle of the recording a warning message appears "there was a problem with your recording due to an issue with start time. Please wait while we scan for viewable content" I think that's a close summary of the message. But basically, there's nothing to watch. I've been told that I could watch it from the HMC without issue but again, too complicated for the wife and mother in law.

So, I have what I have been told are h31's coming. My order says genie mini clients are enroute. 3 of them, to replace the h25's. I've been told that these will solve my problems. But after reading several threads here, I'm not sure.

So here are my questions.

1- am I going to lose the ability to record the 5 (I think it's 5) recordings at one time if I accept and activate these 31's and deactivate these 25's. if so, how many will I be able to record? Or should I say, how many will wife and mother in law be able to record??

2- am I going to be able to pause/rewind live tv on all tv's, without having to record etc?

3- am I going to be able to initiate on demand content on all tv's?

4- if I am going to lower the recording capabilities of the HMC for some reason with these new 31's, does keeping 1 of the 25's active and just retuning the 1 31's instead help at all?

5- am really getting the 31 IF my current order says genie mini client?

6- is this new reciever compatible with tv's that ARE NOT Samsung 6-7000 series tv's (I'm not sure which samsungs are rumored to be the only tv's that work with certain receivers, heck I'm not even sure which receivers I'm getting, lol). But the tv's I'm planning to use them with aren't samsungs at all, so whatever model is in the list is irellavent.

7- I've read people having issues with being Able to delete stuff from the HMC while on the 31. Is this something that has been fixed? I currently can delete using the 25, and obviously am sharing content with all tv's. I'd like to keep this functionality with these new 31's. any advice?

8- cost isn't an issue. Well, that sounds stupid. I got the 31's for $99 each, but they credited my dtv account the total i spent on this order (long story). Just wanted to throw that out there to answer any qestion as to why would i have spent the $$ on the 31's.

9- is anyone else having the same problem I'm having with the error message with recordings? Is this an issue that would e solved or made worse with these new clients?

10- I'm still sharing all content with all tv's if I use these new receivers right? I mean, if i opt to record I'm watching while in my master bedroom, it's being recorded to the HMC, right? Even with these new receivers?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,416 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:04 AM

You will be able to rewind/pause from the C31s. They do use tuners from the HR34, but only when they are in use for live TV. I believe they can initiate downloads.

A RVU TV like the Samsung is not needed.

Edited by dpeters11, 01 November 2012 - 05:13 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,242 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:34 AM

You should read this First Look at these units http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=208146

#4 OFFLINE   Wyannuzzi

Wyannuzzi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 42 posts
  • LocationShavertown PA

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:51 AM

Is getting a new wife and mother in law an option. :). Sorry, couldn't resist.
HR34-700
HR24-100
H25-100
H25-100
H25-100
HR24-100

#5 OFFLINE   Justinphilly

Justinphilly

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:55 AM

Most likely not. I've had her for awhile, and while she has some mileage on her, she's paid off.

#6 OFFLINE   shuye

shuye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:57 AM

First, I apologize if these questions have been answered in previous threads somewhere. I tried reading through, but found it overwhelming. Here's the situation I have, and I'm a total noob so bear with me.

Currently set up with the HMC, which I believe is the H-34. Also, I have 3 h25's. I have the whole home thing set up, so I can watch/delete things from any room.

Issue #1- I cannot pause/rewind TV. I know I can opt to record what I'm watching, and then rewind but that's too complicated for wife and mother in law. I'd like to have that option.

Issue #2- I cannot order or select to download on demand content. Again, I know I can hop on the HMC and do it, but again too complicated for wife and mother in law.

Issue #3- more often then not, when I am watching recorded content on one of my tv's that are using the h25's, in the middle of the recording a warning message appears "there was a problem with your recording due to an issue with start time. Please wait while we scan for viewable content" I think that's a close summary of the message. But basically, there's nothing to watch. I've been told that I could watch it from the HMC without issue but again, too complicated for the wife and mother in law.

So, I have what I have been told are h31's coming. My order says genie mini clients are enroute. 3 of them, to replace the h25's. I've been told that these will solve my problems. But after reading several threads here, I'm not sure.

1- am I going to lose the ability to record the 5 (I think it's 5) recordings at one time if I accept and activate these 31's and deactivate these 25's. if so, how many will I be able to record? Or should I say, how many will wife and mother in law be able to record?? The HMC (HR-34) has 5 tuners - the 31's borrow 1 tuner from the HMC when watching live TV, so if 3 people are watching live TV on 3 different 31's, the HMC would have 2 tuners available to record.

2- am I going to be able to pause/rewind live tv on all tv's, without having to record etc? Yes

3- am I going to be able to initiate on demand content on all tv's? Yes

4- if I am going to lower the recording capabilities of the HMC for some reason with these new 31's, does keeping 1 of the 25's active and just retuning the 1 31's instead help at all? See answer to #1

5- am really getting the 31 IF my current order says genie mini client? I would think so - you can call and ask to check status

6- is this new reciever compatible with tv's that ARE NOT Samsung 6-7000 series tv's (I'm not sure which samsungs are rumored to be the only tv's that work with certain receivers, heck I'm not even sure which receivers I'm getting, lol). But the tv's I'm planning to use them with aren't samsungs at all, so whatever model is in the list is irellavent. Certain models of Samsung TV's are RVU capable which means that they can act like a 31 when connected to an HMC without actually having to need the 31 box itself. For all other TV's you will need the 31 client itself

7- I've read people having issues with being Able to delete stuff from the HMC while on the 31. Is this something that has been fixed? I currently can delete using the 25, and obviously am sharing content with all tv's. I'd like to keep this functionality with these new 31's. any advice?Yes, if you get the 31 set up correctly. I have seen posts of people having this issue where Whole Home could not be activated due to what appears to be the 31 being set up incorrectly. I think this has been fixed but not sure - not everyone is having this issue

8- cost isn't an issue. Well, that sounds stupid. I got the 31's for $99 each, but they credited my dtv account the total i spent on this order (long story). Just wanted to throw that out there to answer any qestion as to why would i have spent the $$ on the 31's.

9- is anyone else having the same problem I'm having with the error message with recordings? Is this an issue that would e solved or made worse with these new clients?

10- I'm still sharing all content with all tv's if I use these new receivers right? I mean, if i opt to record I'm watching while in my master bedroom, it's being recorded to the HMC, right? Even with these new receivers?

Yes, the HMC is the DVR so with your current setup with the H25's and with your future possible setup with H31's, all content is recorded and stored on the HMC

HR34-700 - owned
HR24-500 - owned
H24 - owned
Nomad

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,203 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

Done that 3 times, doesn't help anything.

Rich

#8 OFFLINE   OlderNDirt

OlderNDirt

Mentor

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

Most likely not. I've had her for awhile, and while she has some mileage on her, she's paid off.

Didn't know that was possible. I been making triple payments for almost 38 years and still can't see an end in sight.

#9 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

C31 and Genie Client are the same thing.

#10 OFFLINE   Justinphilly

Justinphilly

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:40 AM

Didn't know that was possible. I been making triple payments for almost 38 years and still can't see an end in sight.

There's the issue right there. Making triple or any payments makes her think you have $$. I pay mine the minimum allowed by law, making her think that's all I have. Lol.

#11 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

I have all 3 issues and they aren't offering me free boxes and I've got HR22s and H21s dinosaurs.

#12 OFFLINE   OlderNDirt

OlderNDirt

Mentor

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

There's the issue right there. Making triple or any payments makes her think you have $$. I pay mine the minimum allowed by law, making her think that's all I have. Lol.

Oh! You're talking about money here! :lol:

#13 ONLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

I'm looking into trading in mine, who is 42, for a pair of 21's. :)
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#14 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

1- am I going to lose the ability to record the 5 (I think it's 5) recordings at one time if I accept and activate these 31's and deactivate these 25's. if so, how many will I be able to record? Or should I say, how many will wife and mother in law be able to record??

You will always have five tuners that can be used for recording AND/OR live tv. Think of them as a pool to choose from, and if you watching live tv anywhere, you would only have four tuners to record shows on other channels with. You can record a show and watch the same channel at the same time too.

2- am I going to be able to pause/rewind live tv on all tv's, without having to record etc?

YES

3- am I going to be able to initiate on demand content on all tv's?

YES

4- if I am going to lower the recording capabilities of the HMC for some reason with these new 31's, does keeping 1 of the 25's active and just returning the 1 31's instead help at all?

Again, its all about total tuners in use. If you are not watching LIVE tv on a c31, then it has no affect on your recording abilities for the genie. Personally, I recommend recording everything you ever watch.

5- am really getting the 31 IF my current order says genie mini client?

Yes. Same thing.

6- is this new reciever compatible with tv's that ARE NOT Samsung 6-7000 series tv's (I'm not sure which samsungs are rumored to be the only tv's that work with certain receivers, heck I'm not even sure which receivers I'm getting, lol). But the tv's I'm planning to use them with aren't samsungs at all, so whatever model is in the list is irellavent.

The c31s work with any tv. The actual genie will work with certain samsungs at the moment without any need for a c31. In time, hopefully more tvs will be included in that.

7- I've read people having issues with being Able to delete stuff from the HMC while on the 31. Is this something that has been fixed? I currently can delete using the 25, and obviously am sharing content with all tv's. I'd like to keep this functionality with these new 31's. any advice?

It should. That issue only hits a few people and is a bug that will get fixed. If you run across that issue, let us know.

How much live tv do you watch vs recorded tv? If you watch mostly recorded tv, its a no brainier. If you watch mostly live tv its a no brainier. Its only debatable to get c31s if you do a lot of both at the SAME time IMHO. (ok, there is one other thing to know, the c31 isn't quite as quick as the h25, that's things a speed demon!)

I haven't seen that issue with my c31s. Cant say anything about the h25s though, I have no active right now. Do the recordings play fine on the genie itself without that iussue?

Yes

See all my red ink.. :)

spam firewall