Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will D* Ever Have Channel Logos in the Grid?

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

One thing I really like about the Dish grid guide is the placement of the channel logos along the side. The Moxi does this as well. It seems like such a simple idea that one has to wonder what is D* thinking? It makes finding channels far easier scrolling the guide by looking at/for logos versus a jumble of letters. Plus it just plain looks nice. Any inside info on if we will ever see this? Seems like it would be pretty simple to implement Just one of the things I noticed while comparing services.
BAN the FCC!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,901 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:08 AM

No.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

I'm sure I'm not the only person who finds the call letter jumble obsolete. One would think more subs would demand/request this. Such a basic update that makes sense.
BAN the FCC!

#4 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,776 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:16 AM

Let's hope not. The Guide is already cluttered enough as it is.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#5 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

One thing I really like about the Dish grid guide is the placement of the channel logos along the side. The Moxi does this as well. It seems like such a simple idea that one has to wonder what is D* thinking? It makes finding channels far easier scrolling the guide by looking at/for logos versus a jumble of letters. Plus it just plain looks nice. Any inside info on if we will ever see this? Seems like it would be pretty simple to implement Just one of the things I noticed while comparing services.

Actually, it seems like such a waste of space to me. To make the logos legible, the line height would have to be larger, so there would be fewer channels shown on one screen. If I want to know what is on a specific channel, I know the channel number, so I go to that number. If I am scrolling through the guide looking for a program that interests me, I do not care what channel it is on. Logos in the guide take up space and add no additional useful information.

#6 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

How is getting rid of all the call letters in favor of channel logos going to "clutter the guide". If anything it'll reduce clutter and make it easier. Simple solution is have a menu option to toggle it on or off.

Does D* color code grid items to themes? IE: green for sports? I'd guess they do red for a recording or scheduled recording.

I know a big complaint I heard was ads in the guide for PPVs. Now I can see how that would clutter it up.
BAN the FCC!

#7 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,901 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

I'm sure I'm not the only person who finds the call letter jumble obsolete. One would think more subs would demand/request this. Such a basic update that makes sense.

Letter jumble? They all make sense. It's not like A&E is listed as AYEANDEEH. Do you really need a logo to figure out what FX is? :lol:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#8 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,432 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

How is getting rid of all the call letters in favor of channel logos going to "clutter the guide". If anything it'll reduce clutter and make it easier. Simple solution is have a menu option to toggle it on or off.

Does D* color code grid items to themes? IE: green for sports? I'd guess they do red for a recording or scheduled recording.

I know a big complaint I heard was ads in the guide for PPVs. Now I can see how that would clutter it up.

Get rid of letters, heck no.

Addition of logos may work but logos only are deceiving and not all that useful.

I'm fine with how it is. Fios has letters and logos and the logos add nothing for me. In fact, they confuse and distract me.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#9 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

It's a matter of a quick look since most providers don't put channels in logical or alphabetical order. Plus it just looks better. Dish manages to get the letters AND logo in the side bar. I find much easier to eyeball a logo scrolling fast among hundreds of channels versus trying to pick out letters. Also depends on how smooth the guide scrolls because the Time Warner box I currently have is crap and can't keep up. I've had them for 5 years and the channel alignment is so bad I still don't know what most numbers are. Some channels appear in the guide 3 or 4 times, then have a separate totally different HD number. I guess having a toggle option would be best for those who don't want it.

I don't see an issue with how this looks:

Posted Image

I think the above looks better than:

Posted Image

And D* has them on the app guide:

Posted Image
BAN the FCC!

#10 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,432 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:50 AM

Good for you that it works for you. How do you mentally keep up with all the changing logos? How do you differentiate between similar logos. How do you tell the difference between fox sports Midwest and fox sports north?

As I said, I have them on fios and they distract me. Not everyone is the same. They work for you. Good. Don't make it out that it is a no brainer and that everyone would want them. We do not all want them. I could live with them but prefer that they aren't there.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#11 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:53 AM

It may sound like a good idea but there might be a very good reason why it's not like that. Having network logos on there like that might reduce the performance of the guide system. Or it could just possibly be low priority in their list of things to do. It would be nice but it's not something I couldn't live without since I just memorize the channel numbers. They will probably add it in eventually if that's what everyone else is doing to their guides.

#12 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

Good for you that it works for you. How do you mentally keep up with all the changing logos? How do you differentiate between similar logos. How do you tell the difference between fox sports Midwest and fox sports north?

As I said, I have them on fios and they distract me. Not everyone is the same. They work for you. Good. Don't make it out that it is a no brainer and that everyone would want them. We do not all want them. I could live with them but prefer that they aren't there.

Maybe it's not for everyone, that's why I suggested a way to toggle it. I basically don't watch sports, so I only pay attention to major networks and have no use for regionals.

It may sound like a good idea but there might be a very good reason why it's not like that. Having network logos on there like that might reduce the performance of the guide system. Or it could just possibly be low priority in their list of things to do. It would be nice but it's not something I couldn't live without since I just memorize the channel numbers. They will probably add it in eventually if that's what everyone else is doing to their guides.

The Hopper can breeze through them and I think their guide looks far better. Was just wondering why D* didn't have them and if they might ever. It's not a deal breaker as I compare the two services. It's just something I'd like to see. I'm more concerned with D* catching up to other providers in basic HD. They seem to be lacking many channels we watch in HD. I do love the Genie and C-31 clients. 5 tuners with streaming OTA is pure win. Still no OTA for Hopper and limited to 3 tuners. Not as easy a choice as I thought. Leaving Time Warner is an easy choice!
BAN the FCC!

#13 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,908 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

It might be helpful to keep them sorted by channel number. That way the locals (of Network tv) are usually numbered how they would be the old fashioned way.

Second, for the most part, DIRECTV® bunches the channels intelligently; far easier to find what you want, and skip the rest.

Third, the logos take up room, and can be distracting.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#14 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

Those two screen shots are interesting. Note that the Dish shot shows three hours, while the DirecTV shot show just 90 minutes.

I wish I could see three hours of guide data at a time instead of 90 minutes. Much more helpful if trying to browse the three hours of primetime without doing it in two passes or doing a bunch of left-right scrolling.

The logos might be handy, but I wouldn't want them to take away even more room from the grid.

Can the channels be sorted alphabetically? (HR34)

#15 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

I don't know. Comparing the Dish guide to the Direct guide in my pics above has the E* guide clearly less cluttered and easier to read (to me) while at the same time presenting more info and a longer time period. The dish guide has larger clear text and the color scheme is easier on the eyes.
BAN the FCC!

#16 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,908 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:09 AM

I don't know. Comparing the Dish guide to the Direct guide in my pics above has the E* guide clearly less cluttered and easier to read (to me) while at the same time presenting more info and a longer time period. The dish guide has larger clear text and the color scheme is easier on the eyes.

Please state the manner of acquisition and pixel dimensions of those JPGs.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#17 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,432 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

Static pictures are one thing. The issue I have with fios is as I am scanning through. The logo movements are distracting to me.

And I have issues with discerning different logos

#18 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

In order to work it would have to be a combination of logo plus channel name, becaues some channels logos are just too similar and can't be distinguished from each other. So I would have hate to have to sacrifice more horizontal screen space to add a column for logos...

Edited by Drew2k, 01 November 2012 - 06:59 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

I strongly disagree about the color scheme being easier on the eyes. I find white on black much easier to read than black on grey.

Since DirecTV gives the local channels their OTA channel number, and DirecTV rarely renumbers the other channels, it is easy to remember the channels I watch and what they are. I only go to the guide to see what is on, and if I do that, I am more interested in the description of the program than I am with whether it is on TNT or TBS.

#20 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,776 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

I don't see an issue with how this looks:

Posted Image

Total clutter. That looks nasty.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

spam firewall