Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will D* Ever Have Channel Logos in the Grid?

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

Maybe it's not for everyone, that's why I suggested a way to toggle it.

Not sure how long you've been a customer but most know by now that DirecTV gives no real options for UI customization. Turning recording tips on/off and hiding SD dupes, or all HD channels, is about it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

I don't know. Comparing the Dish guide to the Direct guide in my pics above has the E* guide clearly less cluttered and easier to read (to me) while at the same time presenting more info and a longer time period. The dish guide has larger clear text and the color scheme is easier on the eyes.

I think our definition of clutter is different than yours then.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#23 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

Please state the manner of acquisition and pixel dimensions of those JPGs.

Pics are simply linked to reviews of services found on Google. I really want to get to the local satellite shop because I heard he has both systems setup and I can get some hands on.
BAN the FCC!

#24 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

I don't really care about the logos but I sure wish DirecTV would hire some engineers from Dish! The guide has much more info and is much much quicker to navigate. Anyone that disagrees should stop by a reseller that has both side by side. Night and Day difference moving around the guide.

I'm afraid if DirecTV tried to add the amount of info that Dish has in the guide it would take an already too slow and clunky guide and move it over to 'usable'. If they added logos it may just completely kill the guide - it can't handle the in-guide ads it has now.

#25 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,132 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:43 PM

Total clutter. That looks nasty.

I disagree. I think it looks fabulous and colorful and artsy. However, I'd add some magenta and fuschia to it. Spice it up a little. In fact, some mildly flourescent colors like optic yellow/green would be neat.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#26 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

Total clutter. That looks nasty.

Simple changes and it can look pretty slick, I don't think the clutter has anything to do with the channel logos. I like the logos if they are done right. (Some are still outdated and/or wrong, look at Fox Sports Detroit's)

Posted Image

#27 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,104 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

How do you differentiate between similar logos. How do you tell the difference between fox sports Midwest and fox sports north?

Remember you still have the call sign (in addition to the logo) below the channel #...

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DirecTV

5-LNB SlimLine w/SWM16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#28 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 543 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

This is one issue I can honestly reply to with:
I Don't Care.

#29 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

Remember you still have the call sign (in addition to the logo) below the channel #...

But the OP wants to take away the call sign.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#30 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 644 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

One thing I really like about the Dish grid guide is the placement of the channel logos along the side. The Moxi does this as well. It seems like such a simple idea that one has to wonder what is D* thinking? It makes finding channels far easier scrolling the guide by looking at/for logos versus a jumble of letters. Plus it just plain looks nice. Any inside info on if we will ever see this? Seems like it would be pretty simple to implement Just one of the things I noticed while comparing services.

I like the idea, it could be an on/off option in the menu. We already have the logos in the banner, don't think it would take much to get em' in the guide.

#31 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,467 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

Pics are simply linked to reviews of services found on Google. I really want to get to the local satellite shop because I heard he has both systems setup and I can get some hands on.

Well, that's the way to do it. Pictures in the case of the ones you found lie, due to widely different size and quality for the different screens. The Dish one comes from their site, so you'd expect it to be nicely polished and a Hi rez image.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#32 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,467 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

This is one issue I can honestly reply to with:
I Don't Care.

The devil, you say!

#33 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

I had Dish for 7 years and now DirecTV for 9. The new Dish guide is much better then what I remember from the Dishplayer and 501 days. Both my wife and I think it is much easier to read and looks nicer then the current DirecTV guide.

#34 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,256 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

So, the logo does what, then?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#35 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,671 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:27 PM

How is getting rid of all the call letters in favor of channel logos going to "clutter the guide". If anything it'll reduce clutter and make it easier. Simple solution is have a menu option to toggle it on or off.

Does D* color code grid items to themes? IE: green for sports? I'd guess they do red for a recording or scheduled recording.

I know a big complaint I heard was ads in the guide for PPVs. Now I can see how that would clutter it up.

The gradient color in all the grids is very distracting away from the titles. Pulls your eyes in multiple directions.

However I do like the more hours. That's the only thing that better. Everything else is extra junk that adds nothing but possibly looks for some people. Function for everyone is far more important than looks for a few.

I'd think it'd be more helpful to give us two guide orders, channel name and channel number, than logos or no logos.

#36 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:58 AM

Well, I think D* could make many improvements in the guide grid. While finally HD, it's very boring (black with varying shades of gray) and most other companies have much more appealing guides.

As for the logo's, I could go either way, but it would be nice to have them on the locals, as I have no idea which is which based on the call letters.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#37 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:54 AM

So, the logo does what, then?

That has always been my question whenever threads like this come up. What is the point of the logo?

#38 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,467 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:59 AM

That has always been my question whenever threads like this come up. What is the point of the logo?

I think it may be because some people are more visually oriented than others, and hence prefer them. I think they're useful in Quicktune, which I rarely use.

I look for them only when a question comes up.

#39 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:12 AM

I would agree with you, IF the locals had ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX instead of KDFW, KXAS, WFAA, and KTVT. I have no idea what those are.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#40 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,467 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

I would agree with you, IF the locals had ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX instead of KDFW, KXAS, WFAA, and KTVT. I have no idea what those are.

Put 'em in Quicktune, or use the iPad app. Then you'll learn without effort what each is.

spam firewall