Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will D* Ever Have Channel Logos in the Grid?

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

Yes, I could do that, but I never use quicktune and don't own any apple products.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,464 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

I would agree with you, IF the locals had ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX instead of KDFW, KXAS, WFAA, and KTVT. I have no idea what those are.

The channel number doesn't do it for you? Well, there goes all the money they've spent on their branding campaigns.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#43 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

The channel number doesn't do it for you? Well, there goes all the money they've spent on their branding campaigns.

The fake channel numbers that they not only build their branding around but also set up their technology to fake in the digital world.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#44 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,117 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

The fake channel numbers that they not only build their branding around but also set up their technology to fake in the digital world.

Cause that is a lot easier than trying to get everyone to relearn their channel numbers after the digital switch.....

#45 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

I would agree with you, IF the locals had ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX instead of KDFW, KXAS, WFAA, and KTVT. I have no idea what those are.

I do not remember the call signs of my local stations, either, but I do know that PBS is 4, CBS is 5, ABC is 11, NBC is 17, and Fox is 50. I even know that 22 is CW, 28 is My Network TV, 40 is Univision, and 47 is ION, even though I never watch those.

I do not look at the guide to find out which number is which network. I only look at the guide to find out what is on at the time. If I find something that peaks my interest, I do not care what the channel name is - I just hit "ok" and I am there.

#46 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

Cause that is a lot easier than trying to get everyone to relearn their channel numbers after the digital switch.....

Doesn't seem to help people who need an icon to find ABC in their own home...
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#47 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

Total clutter. That looks nasty.

I would find it very useful to use the channel logo's. I like it alot and wondered if Directv would change the guide to that. Hopefully some day they will.

#48 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

Nope.

I still know which channel numbers are what station in Detroit, even though I haven't lived in that Market in 30 years, but I don't know the Dallas stations after being here 12 years. I've had a DVR since moving here and don't even pay attention to that type of thing - and I don't watch the local news which probably accounts for how most people know them (i.e. News8, etc.)

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#49 OFFLINE   AirShark

AirShark

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:40 PM

I think it looks cleaner without the logos. I don't like the multi-colored jumble that is the Dish guide.

#50 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,723 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

I'm definitely spoiled living in the NYC market where we have these stations - try to guess what networks they are owned by? WCBS, WNBC, WABC

The other two networks are on WNYW (Fox) and WPIX (CW), so out of towers staying in hotels would benefit from the logo here, for sure.

#51 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

I don't see an issue with how this looks:

Posted Image

Thats gorgeous is that 6 channels and 2 & 1/2 hrs in that guide? That's innovative and absolutely amazing wish Directv had this.

#52 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,208 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

Thats gorgeous is that 6 channels and 2 & 1/2 hrs in that guide? That's innovative and absolutely amazing wish Directv had this.

Nice graphic, but I do believe it's a professionally done web image.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#53 OFFLINE   myselfalso

myselfalso

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:23 PM

Nice graphic, but I do believe it's a professionally done web image.

Search the Internet for other pictures of the guide. They look the same.
I have been a DirecTV subscriber since 2005.

A few channels I'd still like to see DirecTV add are:
CSPAN3, the PAC-12 Network(s), BBC World and more international news channels.

#54 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:21 AM

When I get to my local shop, I'll try to take some actual screenshots to post. However, I think the Dish GUI is superior to the DirecTV from what I've been finding. That said, a GUI is not a deal breaker - just an important consideration.
BAN the FCC!

#55 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:16 AM

When I get to my local shop, I'll try to take some actual screenshots to post. However, I think the Dish GUI is superior to the DirecTV from what I've been finding. That said, a GUI is not a deal breaker - just an important consideration.

Meh. I prefer simple and clean. Flashy does little for me.

#56 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,916 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

Whether one GUI is better thn another is most definitely subjective.

#57 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,208 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

Search the Internet for other pictures of the guide. They look the same.

Not sure what point you're making.

My caution was that a pro image of X will generally make an amateur, cellphone shot of a screen of Y look like shinola.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#58 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,812 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:50 AM

FWIW, I will always hold out hope for DirecTV adding channel logos in the Guide (and Playlist/To Do List/Series Manager, etc.).

For those who don't like them, DirecTV used to have other manufacturers that offered the ability to turn them off.

#59 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 618 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

This is only available on DISH's VIP920 receiver, on their other receivers the program guide is light blue on gray, with no logos. Though, this guide also does show 2.5 hours, as well.

#60 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 618 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

I would be happy with a lighter background and darker foreground for the DTV programming guide; ideally let the customer choose their own colors. Also, increase the time span to 2.5 hours; just like their web version. Also, one would have the capability to turn off the channel advertising in the guide. Finally, the ability to see the program description without having to hit "More info" when viewing clicking on a program in the guide.

As for logs, they look nice, but take up room that could be better used to increase the time period one is viewing in the guide.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...