Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will D* Ever Have Channel Logos in the Grid?

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:03 AM

Meh. I prefer simple and clean. Flashy does little for me.

Agree! The screen looks way too "busy" but I would like an extra hour.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:01 AM

Agree! The screen looks way too "busy" but I would like an extra hour.

I can take or leave the extra hour. Fios is 2.5 hours. It gets a but busy but fios also likes to be stylish so it is hard to tell if the busy feel comes from the style or the extra data. Probably the style.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#63 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,173 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

I can take or leave the extra hour. Fios is 2.5 hours. It gets a but busy but fios also likes to be stylish so it is hard to tell if the busy feel comes from the style or the extra data. Probably the style.

I'd like three hours. Although 2.5 would likely do the trick. My goal is to be able to see all primetime on my locals on one screen.

#64 OFFLINE   AMike

AMike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 380 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

I found this on google. This is an image of the old guide from one of the Hughes boxes. The logos were sporadic in the guide and it was color coded based on the type of programming.

I like the Dish guide as it shows more programming in one screen.

Attached Thumbnails

• directvprogramguide3.jpeg

DirecTV subscriber 1999-2011, 2012 - present
Comcast subscriber 2011-2012, 2013 - 2014

#65 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,173 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

I found this on google. This is an image of the old guide from one of the Hughes boxes. The logos were sporadic in the guide and it was color coded based on the type of programming.

You could also turn the logos on and off with that guide. I be fine with that option, but DirecTV will never give us an option like that.

#66 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

Always hated the Hughes GUI. I had a Sony receiver I liked a lot more.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#67 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,188 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

. . . .

I don't see an issue with how this looks:

Posted Image

I think the above looks better than:

Posted Image
. . . .

Yep, a thousand times better, but DirecTV doesn't have the resources to implement Guide improvements. EoS
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#68 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

Yep, a thousand times better, but DirecTV doesn't have the resources to implement Guide improvements. EoS

Or maybe they choose to not have a noisy, jumbled mess.

#69 OFFLINE   mcl77

mcl77

AllStar

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:16 AM

speaking of the direct tv guide.
is there a way to get rid of that picture of the highlighted show in the upper right corner of the guide? or even that direct tv logo in the upper right as well??
sometimes i get some image retention of those two logos if it stays on the guide for too long.

#70 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,171 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:32 AM

And I had the RCA receiver and liked it better than either the Hughes or the Sony. I agree that 2.5 hours would be nice, but more important to me is elimination of the clutter and high contrast. I like the white on black and no logos.

#71 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,171 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:38 AM

It's a matter of a quick look since most providers don't put channels in logical or alphabetical order. Plus it just looks better. Dish manages to get the letters AND logo in the side bar. I find much easier to eyeball a logo scrolling fast among hundreds of channels versus trying to pick out letters. Also depends on how smooth the guide scrolls because the Time Warner box I currently have is crap and can't keep up. I've had them for 5 years and the channel alignment is so bad I still don't know what most numbers are. Some channels appear in the guide 3 or 4 times, then have a separate totally different HD number. I guess having a toggle option would be best for those who don't want it.

I don't see an issue with how this looks:

Posted Image

I think the above looks better than:

Posted Image

I still do not understand why anyone would scroll through the guide to look for channels. One scrolls through the guide to find out what is on. Who cares what the channel is? What is important is what the program is. I much prefer the cleanness of the DirecTV guide.

#72 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

I still do not understand why anyone would scroll through the guide to look for channels. One scrolls through the guide to find out what is on. Who cares what the channel is? What is important is what the program is. I much prefer the cleanness of the DirecTV guide.

A lot of times I may know the channel I want, but not the number. I don't bother memorizing the thousand some odd channel numbers beyond my favs. So, something might be on an obscure channel and I can catch it scrolling the guide. I find the Dish Guide to be be clean AND informative by giving number & logo, more time, better contrast and larger text. The DirecTV guide looks bland with little info. This is going to be a personal preference issue which is why a toggle option would be nice.

At this time, I'm awaiting an OTA solution for the Hopper which could be a deal breaker if they scrub it. Dish seems to have more HD channels that I want at a better price as I study them both. I could care less about sports. I abandoned sports some time ago when the costs got out of control.

So, I'll continue to evaluate and the Guide is merely a consideration while doing so. Another huge concern is actual DVR performance. The Time Warner DVRs have horrible conflict resolution and routinely miss recordings even when not conflict exists. The Time Warner whole home stinks because the DVRs only share the recorded list. So, you always end up with duplicates because someone thinks their show isn't going to record because it is set in another room.
BAN the FCC!

#73 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

My Sony B65 was my favorite of the (non-DVR) GUIs. One of my favorite things about it was the logos.

I agree with others about not liking the colors in the GUIDE grids... an ugly mess, IMHO.

#74 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

My Sony B65 was my favorite of the (non-DVR) GUIs. One of my favorite things about it was the logos.

I agree with others about not liking the colors in the GUIDE grids... an ugly mess, IMHO.

I remember my Sony only having logos in the tile views.

#75 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

I remember my Sony only having logos in the tile views.

I can't speak for them all, but the B65 model had an option to show logos in the Guide, no logos in the Guide (more content), PiG, no PiG, etc.

#76 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

I can't speak for them all, but the B65 model had an option to show logos in the Guide, no logos in the Guide (more content), PiG, no PiG, etc.

Mine didn't have all that. I think I had a B2.

#77 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,381 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

So, the logo does what, then?

The logo transcends/survives both channel number changes and callsign changes. If the logo changes, it changes everywhere.

What good is the channel number or callsign in comparison? It won't help you if you're viewing in another market.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#78 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,495 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:23 PM

While it doesn't happen a lot, there are times when thing like The Presidential Debates are on, or perhaps disaster coverage is on, and I'd like to watch one network over another.

Or, I'm setting up a recording that I know is on ABC (for example), but not for another week. Often, I do that from the guide instead of Search and it's a bit easier if I'm on the right channel to begin with.

There have been other times when a Network is showing a sporting even that goes extra long. I might get home and want to watch the ending, but it's no longer listed in the guide (because it was supposed to be over).

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#79 OFFLINE   FlyBono24

FlyBono24

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:58 AM

I don't really care about the logos but I sure wish DirecTV would hire some engineers from Dish! The guide has much more info and is much much quicker to navigate. Anyone that disagrees should stop by a reseller that has both side by side. Night and Day difference moving around the guide.

I'm afraid if DirecTV tried to add the amount of info that Dish has in the guide it would take an already too slow and clunky guide and move it over to 'usable'. If they added logos it may just completely kill the guide - it can't handle the in-guide ads it has now.

I totally agree, I'd rather see 3 hours of programming on the screen than D*'s measly 1.5 hours. It would make browsing for movies to DVR a LOT quicker.

#80 OFFLINE   silkypimp

silkypimp

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

Total clutter. That looks nasty.

I agree, I don't know about everyone else but I know which channels are which without having to see the logos.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...