Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will D* Ever Have Channel Logos in the Grid?

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

I agree, I don't know about everyone else but I know which channels are which without having to see the logos.

I think the Dish GUI is far more informative. However, I prefer to see the logos. This is another case of having a toggle on/off option in the menu for those that don't like them.
BAN the FCC!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,071 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

I think the Dish GUI is far more informative. However, I prefer to see the logos. This is another case of having a toggle on/off option in the menu for those that don't like them.

Informative? I see no extra data there. Except the Hopper icons.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#83 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 368 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

Personally, I would prefer to see the logos. An option to display them or not would be a good idea.

#84 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

Informative? I see no extra data there. Except the Hopper icons.

More time in the grid is mainly it and easier to read. Just personal opinion. I don't think the D* guide is bad, I just would like the option of logos. Again a simple toggle on/off would appease both sides.
BAN the FCC!

#85 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Registered
  • 891 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:22 PM

I would also like to see logos in the guide, more time and I think the Dish guide does look nicer.

#86 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,071 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

More time in the grid is mainly it and easier to read. Just personal opinion. I don't think the D* guide is bad, I just would like the option of logos. Again a simple toggle on/off would appease both sides.

I have no issue with more time but the guide looks distracting to me. Icons and graphics everywhere.

I use a busy guide with fios. Clean and simple is actually better. Static shots on a computer do not indicate how it is to use.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#87 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

Anyone noticed there is now more space on the left side of the guide? Perhaps this is a sign of logos coming?

Edited by DodgerKing, 18 November 2012 - 08:53 AM.

#88 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:40 PM

Any notice there is now more space on the left side of the guide? Perhaps this is a sign of logos coming?

Came across this and love it. Very subtle with the logos, shows more channels as well. Only thing I'd like is slight more time in the grid and color coding of grid boxes for when a show is recording - IE: the grid box is red. They don't need to color grid boxes for categories. I just like the highlighted red boxes so when scrolling you see what's recording or scheduled to record.

Posted Image
BAN the FCC!

#89 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Registered
  • 891 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:45 PM

Now that looks pretty nice!
If you want to see what is recording, the show always has an orange circle with a R in it, in the guide.

#90 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:51 PM

Now that looks pretty nice!
If you want to see what is recording, the show always has an orange circle with a R in it, in the guide.

I did notice that just now as I was searching YouTube for video of the Genie! Thanks. Looking at the above pic, I can see where trying to cram more time in could jumble up the Guide. My Time Warner DVR shows the same time frame as in the picture but is 4:3 so all the titles are mashed together or cut off. It seems having less time allows for an easier to read grid. That said, they could probably squeeze in another hour without causing a problem because they use the 16:9 to it's fullest.
BAN the FCC!

#91 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 368 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:08 AM

Came across this and love it. Very subtle with the logos, shows more channels as well. Only thing I'd like is slight more time in the grid and color coding of grid boxes for when a show is recording - IE: the grid box is red. They don't need to color grid boxes for categories. I just like the highlighted red boxes so when scrolling you see what's recording or scheduled to record.

Posted Image

Looks good. Where did you find this guide with logos? Is it real or designed by someone else?

#92 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 368 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:36 AM

Any notice there is now more space on the left side of the guide? Perhaps this is a sign of logos coming?

I believe you're right. Never noticed it before. Hopefully, they'll add logos to the guide.

#93 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,071 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:39 AM

Even with logos dumped in, you can easily see how much cleaner and less junked up the directv guide is.

I'd only add a half hour. Too much data actually makes it harder to comprehend.

#94 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,106 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

Or maybe they choose to not have a noisy, jumbled mess.

Oh, I don't know, that doesn't seem to be a factor since the whole Cinema, PPV, Genie, VOD, My Directv thing is a noisy, jumbled mess.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#95 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

Anyone noticed there is now more space on the left side of the guide? Perhaps this is a sign of logos coming?

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have the logos to the left of the channel numbers,
but,
that extra space is there probably for the fact that a lot of TVs have varying amounts of overscanning and cut off different amounts of the picture.
The small picture at the top also stops at the same place that the channel numbers do.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#96 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

Looks good. Where did you find this guide with logos? Is it real or designed by someone else?

Came across it while searching images to comparing competing guides. It's a mock up of what the person would like to see I believe. It is a clean interface even with the logos added in this manner.
BAN the FCC!

#97 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 368 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:51 AM

Came across it while searching images to comparing competing guides. It's a mock up of what the person would like to see I believe. It is a clean interface even with the logos added in this manner.

Thank you. Like the way it looks with logos. Maybe Directv will update the guide, who knows.

#98 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:25 AM

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have the logos to the left of the channel numbers,
but,
that extra space is there probably for the fact that a lot of TVs have varying amounts of overscanning and cut off different amounts of the picture.
The small picture at the top also stops at the same place that the channel numbers do.

There wasn't that much space there before

#99 OFFLINE   mhking

mhking

Icon

• Registered
  • 540 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

That's really crisp and clean - I'd certainly have no problem with that, myself.
Wish list of channels for D*: C-Span 3; BBC World News; Sky News International; CBC Newsworld; France24; EuroNews; Eurosportnews; Setanta Sports News; ABC News 24 (Australia); Australia Network (soon to be ABC Asia Pacific); Al Jazeera English; Russia Today; NHK World; DW-TV -- Heck, how about an entire English-language international tier so I don't have to keep switching to my Roku?

#100 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,013 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:19 AM

I would rather leave out the logos, shift the channel numbers to the left, and add another 30 minutes to the guide data. I would also reduce the size of the banner and add a few more lines of channels.

spam firewall