Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will D* Ever Have Channel Logos in the Grid?

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

I would rather leave out the logos, shift the channel numbers to the left, and add another 30 minutes to the guide data. I would also reduce the size of the banner and add a few more lines of channels.

I think they could easily keep the logos and add another half hour of time to the grid.
BAN the FCC!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 389 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

I think they could easily keep the logos and add another half hour of time to the grid.

Agree. Whether or not they add logos remains to be seen, but you never know. I hope they do.

#103 OFFLINE   pampaul

pampaul

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

Don't quote me on it, but I think my old dtv hughs director series receivers used to display logos in the guide??

#104 OFFLINE   jahgreen

jahgreen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

Putting to one side the extra 90 minutes of guide, which would be nice, I don't like the Dish Guide at all. Way too busy.

But I assume I'm in the minority. I also hate ESPN and Fox sports broadcasts, with running tickers and constant updates and silly sound effects and so on. I wish they'd quit taking away screen real estate and just let me watch the game. The fact they continue with all that garbage must mean most viewers enjoy it.
Panasonic 50px60U
(1) HR20-700, (1) HR21-100
Salamander Design Synergy Cabinet with plasma mount

DirecTV since 2004

#105 OFFLINE   slickshoes

slickshoes

Legend

• Registered
  • 257 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

Had a chance to play with the hopper guide @ blockbuster, and not only did it look better, had more time showimg but was also 10x faster than my HR34. There is no reason why directv can't have tje logos in the guide and speed it up, it was literally night and day speed wise.

#106 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

As far as I'm concerned, the HR34, and especially the C31 clients, are embarrassingly slow for 2012 hardware.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#107 OFFLINE   slickshoes

slickshoes

Legend

• Registered
  • 257 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

Yeah terrible, directv needs to seriously consider completely dumping this guide and all code, and start over, my Dish 722k guide and overall speed was 10x faster and that was 3 years ago, embarrassing if you ask me...

#108 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:51 PM

I think Dish would have had a winner if they didn't cripple the Hopper with only 3 tuners. I would go that route hands down, but a Whole Home DVR with 3 tuners is just plain stupid. They should have made a 6 tuner Hopper for large houses. I need 5 client boxes and with Hopper it would be impossible to have all the people using them at once.

I wish DirecTV would release an 8 tuner Genie. It would solve my issues and always have available tuners.

There is a market for units like this.
BAN the FCC!

#109 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

Putting to one side the extra 90 minutes of guide, which would be nice, I don't like the Dish Guide at all. Way too busy.

But I assume I'm in the minority. I also hate ESPN and Fox sports broadcasts, with running tickers and constant updates and silly sound effects and so on. I wish they'd quit taking away screen real estate and just let me watch the game. The fact they continue with all that garbage must mean most viewers enjoy it.

I agree with you, but the worst for silly sound effects is CBS. As much as I love the SEC, I hate it when Kentucky is on CBS instead of ESPN or Fox Sports South. The CBS sound effects drive me nuts (not to mention that more often than not, the game is only available in SD on a subchannel of my local CBS station, because they would rather show reruns of Andy Griffith than a Kentucky basketball game:nono2: )

#110 OFFLINE   darkpowrjd

darkpowrjd

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

Wouldn't mind an option to have this if you wanted it. I'm opposed to having one option or the other forced on you.

If you don't want them, fine, but just because you hate them, that doesn't mean I hate them along with you.

And if you want them, okay, but that doesn't mean I have to share that like.

Not sure where we got the notion that because one person doesn't want one thing or another, that we all have to abide by that. I wouldn't mind the option, regardless of if I would actually use it or not.

#111 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

Wouldn't mind an option to have this if you wanted it. I'm opposed to having one option or the other forced on you.

If you don't want them, fine, but just because you hate them, that doesn't mean I hate them along with you.

And if you want them, okay, but that doesn't mean I have to share that like.

Not sure where we got the notion that because one person doesn't want one thing or another, that we all have to abide by that. I wouldn't mind the option, regardless of if I would actually use it or not.

But options cost more in terms of programming costs and system memory usage. Logos might appear, or they might not, but I do not foresee an option to elect to show them or not. Personally, I think they are a waste of space, but if they are there, having an option to get rid of them would be an even worse waste of resource.

spam firewall