Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Missing most HD programming, but not all...advice?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mthr1

mthr1

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:04 AM

Hello! I am new to this forum, but I have been a Dish customer for a while. I am recently having an issue that I am hoping is storm Sandy related.

For the last several days, I have not been able to tune into the majority of my HD programming. I can tune into about half dozen of my HD channels properly (ESPN, HBO-E, TNT, local channel 8 & 19 in cleveland, and a couple of others).

All other HD channels will say that HD signal is lost and reverting to SD equivilent. A good handful of others will say that it's a complete signal loss.

Is this a hardware issue? There is some medium cloud cover, but nothing menacing. It's the grade of weather that I would normally not have an issue with with my HD programming.

Granted, it has rained in Cleveland for a whole week...and maybe I have some rooftop issues with my Dish hardware, but for the most part everything looks intact up there.

I have done the obvious...soft reboots, hard restarts, etc. I am using a 722K.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

Hello! I am new to this forum, but I have been a Dish customer for a while. I am recently having an issue that I am hoping is storm Sandy related.

For the last several days, I have not been able to tune into the majority of my HD programming. I can tune into about half dozen of my HD channels properly (ESPN, HBO-E, TNT, local channel 8 & 19 in cleveland, and a couple of others).

All other HD channels will say that HD signal is lost and reverting to SD equivilent. A good handful of others will say that it's a complete signal loss.

Is this a hardware issue? There is some medium cloud cover, but nothing menacing. It's the grade of weather that I would normally not have an issue with with my HD programming.

Granted, it has rained in Cleveland for a whole week...and maybe I have some rooftop issues with my Dish hardware, but for the most part everything looks intact up there.

Thanks.

Have you gone to menu-6-1-1 and checked your signal strength on 129 bet it is lower than it was a week ago. Call and get on the service call list, and yes hurricane damage is at your cost but if you met your deductible the insurance company should pay.

Edited by boba, 02 November 2012 - 08:58 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

The check switch test indicates if a satellite signal was lost. I can setup a technician visit for you if you'd like. Please let me know. Thanks.

Thanks.

#4 OFFLINE   mthr1

mthr1

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

The check switch test indicates if a satellite signal was lost. I can setup a technician visit for you if you'd like. Please let me know. Thanks.

It is clearing up tomorrow afternoon. I will perform a check switch tonight and see what birds I'm able to see and see if conditions change any tomorrow. I don't expect it to. What's weird is how few of HD channels and a couple of the locals are fine while the others are all shot.

Another look on the roof shows both dishes to be in place, all lnb seem intact and present, and the switch on the outside wall seems intact with all connections visually verified. I indexed the alignments of each dish with a marker when they were aimed the first time and there doesn't appear to be movement. So who knows...maybe a bad lnb?

I'll report the check switch findings and would likely love to have a technician appointment set up. Would it be best to set that up with you via PM? Phone?

I appreciate your help. Thanks!

UPDATE: Normally, I see birds 110, 118, 119, and 129. Check switch doesn't see 129. Sats 110 and 118 are around 56-58 signal strength (somewhat low, as I think they are usually in the 70s), 119 is around 82, and 129 isn't showing any signal strength. The weather cleared up pretty much yesterday afternoon, so that wasn't a factor when I ran the check. Could any of this be wet connections?

Edited by mthr1, 02 November 2012 - 06:00 AM.
Updated results

#5 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

It is probably a dish that has moved 1/32" or less, just enough to affect the signal.

#6 OFFLINE   mthr1

mthr1

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

It is probably a dish that has moved 1/32" or less, just enough to affect the signal.

That's not much of a margin of error.

#7 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

There is no margin for error you are on the satellite or your not. No signal on 129 you are not on the satellite.

#8 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

If you are getting 118 satellite plus the other 3 satellites, you should have 2 dishes. If you aren't getting 129 satellite, we need to schedule a technician. Please PM your account number to me so I can assist you further. Thanks.

#9 OFFLINE   mthr1

mthr1

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

There is no margin for error you are on the satellite or your not. No signal on 129 you are not on the satellite.

Yes, apparently I am learning that.

#10 OFFLINE   mthr1

mthr1

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

If you are getting 118 satellite plus the other 3 satellites, you should have 2 dishes. If you aren't getting 129 satellite, we need to schedule a technician. Please PM your account number to me so I can assist you further. Thanks.

Yes, I do have two dishes on my roof to accommodate the 4 sats. I will leave you the information that you requested in a PM. Thanks for your efforts in getting me fixed here, Ray.

#11 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

Yes, apparently I am learning that.

There is very little margin for error..dont forget that the satellites you are aiming at are in geostationary orbit about 22,000 miles up there, if you are off by just a little, you could completely miss them.

#12 OFFLINE   mthr1

mthr1

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

Everything is fixed. Ray from DIRT got a technician out in a couple of days and they changed everything! It was like getting a new install...everything is working fine and better than my original installation.

The techs were great and response was fantastic. Ray was awesome and contantly kept in touch to make sure everything was going that way it needed to go the entire way.

Kudos and much thanks to Ray for doing what he does for his customers!

#13 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

I was glad to help! Please let me know if you need further assistance. Thanks.

Everything is fixed. Ray from DIRT got a technician out in a couple of days and they changed everything! It was like getting a new install...everything is working fine and better than my original installation.

The techs were great and response was fantastic. Ray was awesome and contantly kept in touch to make sure everything was going that way it needed to go the entire way.

#14 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

Yep-Ray (and the other DIRT members I've worked with) have all been great!

#15 OFFLINE   RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

We definitely appreciate the positive feedback!

#16 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,205 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:40 PM

When you're shooting at something 22,000 miles away, you can't just point the gun in the general direction.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

Protected By... spam firewall...And...