Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Forced to watch commercials

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,202 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

If you can't skip the commercial at least you can hit the mute button and not have to listen to it...

Much more important things in life to worry about...
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   csgo

csgo

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

Our Local Programming Stations have done something in the past 60 days so now you cannot FF through commercials. If you try it will take you to the beginning of the program or the end and nothing in-between. Not a DTV issue but a local broadcast issue.

If a network or local station could put in a 'code' that would control a DirecTV receiver in any way (especially not allow you to skip commercials) they would have been doing it for years. Neither can prevent you from skipping commercials unless DirecTV allows them to do so.

I have seen several instances in recent months where I could not skip DirecTV inserted commercials, but I could fast forward thru them.

#23 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,356 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:53 PM

If you can't skip the commercial at least you can hit the mute button and not have to listen to it...

Much more important things in life to worry about...

It's a slippery slope though. Would you say the same if you couldn't fast forward through commercials at all (at least on a channel you watch a lot)?

#24 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,202 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

It's a slippery slope though. Would you say the same if you couldn't fast forward through commercials at all (at least on a channel you watch a lot)?

The only place I've noticed not being able to fast forward through commercials is on commercial network ondemand programs. I have been able to fast forward through the opening credits on Showtime and HBO ondemand series. I use FiOS. though, so I don't know if this applies to DirecTV.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#25 OFFLINE   Combat Medic

Combat Medic

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:57 PM

have you noticed how much HBO, Showtime, etc cost. this is because there are no commercials on those channels. so now take very single channel in your package and times it by lets say $10.00 just to be fair. you would be be paying upwards of $1000 a month if it was not for those beautiful commercials…

Glad we have commercials

No I wouldn't. I only watch a small handful of channels so at your $10/channel/month my bill would go down.
Also, HBO isn't $12/channel/month it is $12/block/month. So in your example everything owned by Disney would be lumped together for $10/month.

#26 OFFLINE   CATCRAW

CATCRAW

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:09 AM

I do not get my Local Channels from DTV as they are not available in my area. I utilize an AM-21 for my OTA channels.

#27 OFFLINE   Bstacey

Bstacey

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

This isn't exclusive to directv. I have the same thing on Comcast. Some ondemand networks (abc for sure) prevent fast forwarding commercials.

#28 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 921 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:07 PM

Geez....
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

spam firewall