Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Thinking of getting HR34 and C31's. Some questions.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

My current setup is with 4 HR series DVR's(20-22's no HR24's) and an H24 receiver in the kitchen. 9 tuners in total. 8 recordable.

Would I benefit in any way from having the HR34 and a few C31's? We mainly record to 2 HR's currently. 1 HR gets very little use now as our daughter is away at college and comes home every few weeks. So would be looking at 2 maybe 3 C31's to replace the H24 and 2 of the HR's.

If I were to move to the HR34 and 2 C31's I would still have the same number of tuners but lose 1 recordable feed. 5 from HR34, 4 from 2 HR's. The C31's would use a tuner each from the HR34, so 7 recordable tuners. Is that correct?

Anything I would be giving up if I were to be watching multiple TV's with C31's connected at same time? Happens more during holidays when we have family over and kids want to watch their thing etc.

Sorry for being a bit long winded, just want to be sure I am not giving up functionality if I get upgraded equipment. H24 and 1 of the HR's have been acting up so trying to look ahead to a phone call with D* and my potential requests for upgrades from my Protection Plan benefit.

Also, since the C31's do not have a tuner per se, do we still have to pay the $6 fee?
Equipment
HR22-100(VOD/MRV) SWM/DECA connected via HDMI on Panasonic TC-P58S2
HR24-200(VOD/MRV) SWM/DECA connected via HDMI on Panasonic TH-50PZ85U
HR21-700(VOD/MRV) W/AM21 SWM/DECA connected via HDMI to Sony KDL-46V3000
HR22-100(VOD/MRV) SWM/DECA connected via HDMI to Westinghouse 37"LCD
H24-200 SWM connected via HDMI to Samsung 24" LCD

AU9 Dish , SWM-16, SWS-8 Splitter

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

I'm not sure you'd gain or lose a whole lot. The C31s do have a monthly fee, same as the receivers. Changing to C31s would mean smaller, quieter boxes than the DVRs, the ability to schedule everything on one device, and fewer concerns about recording conflicts.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   GreenScrew

GreenScrew

Mentor

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

I've been considering the same thing. I have basically the same setup as you but with one additional H24 and an AM21. I need another tuner location and thought it might make sense to go to the HR34 and 3 C31s in place of an HR24 and the two H24s. I would gain a couple tuners for recording as long as the C31s aren't in use at the time and it provides the additional viewing location I need. I assume i would incur an additional monthly $4.99 charge for the added viewing location. The benefits I've gathered researching here are as follows:

Basically, the C31s provide full HRxx experience - trick play (pause, rewind, ff), on-demand, pandora, etc
The HR34 adds 3 recordable tuners vs hr2x, the C31 only occupies a tuner if active (in my case works well since they are in less used locations - garage, game room, bar
Guessing the HR34 may also up the recording capacity from the current HR2x receivers (bigger disk?)
My h24s don't seem to support 30 sec skip (only slip?) which is another big benefit of the c31s for me
Also, of benefit to me is getting caller ID at all c31 locations since I don't have phone lines there but would have the hr34 plugged in to one
Sounds like downside my be a little slower/laggy performance from the c31s but hopefully the hr34 has the bugs worked out by now?

One thing that isn't clear to me - is it confirmed that the protection plan provides this "free" upgrade that is claimed by posters here?

Edited by GreenScrew, 05 November 2012 - 07:12 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,134 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

PP has more features in Texas regarding equipment upgrades.

HR34 does have a larger drive, and supports bigger external drive. It also supports 100 series links, instead of 50.

30 skip works on the 24. It's not enabled by default on any box, it's 30 slip instead. Do a keyword search for 30skip to enable it.

#5 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,573 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

Before doing anything else, you should determine how many tuners do you need to be recording at the same time. If no more than 5 then go for the HR34 and how many C31s would be needed to service the TVs.

I don't believe C31s count as having a tuner as it uses one from the HR34.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,134 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

Correct, C31s do not count toward the SWM tuner limit. There is a limit of 3 C31s though.

#7 OFFLINE   Podkayne

Podkayne

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

The same monthly fee applies for an HR2x, C31, or H25. The HR34 has five tuners, you may want to retain your best behaved HR2x for some more recording flexibility, or as backup for shows you really like. The C31 vs. H25 discussion is already getting rich on the forum; I had to take the H25 because it connected easily to my legacy tube TV...C31 only had HDMI and a 10pin round AV plug used for an array of adapters, none of which are in stock (classic vapor ware). IMO both are very capable boxes and you would probably be happy with either in your situation.

#8 OFFLINE   GreenScrew

GreenScrew

Mentor

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

Ah, so the PP only provides technology upgrades if you live in Texas? That's crappy, but I'm guessing some state law that D* is abiding by which doesn't apply to me in Wisconsin.

What might I expect to pay for an HR34 and 3 C31s having been on D* for 4 years with no current commitment? Guessing I'd get no credit for relinquishing my "leased" HR24 and two H24s. Suspecting what I've been contemplating to upgrade may become less attractive. :confused:

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,134 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

Or could be a test market, not sure myself. As for what kind of deal you might get, some have gotten a good deal in my opinion. I paid $400 for mine, so that's subjective.

#10 OFFLINE   Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 247 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

PP has more features in Texas regarding equipment upgrades.

HR34 does have a larger drive, and supports bigger external drive. It also supports 100 series links, instead of 50.

30 skip works on the 24. It's not enabled by default on any box, it's 30 slip instead. Do a keyword search for 30skip to enable it.

Thanks for the information all.

Regarding, 30 second slip vs. skip. Is the slip where you see the 30 seconds go by and can see what it is slipping past and skip just literally skips forward 30 without seeing what it is skipping?

When viewing a program recorded from another DVR, the 30 seconds takes a while to go by, maybe 3-4 seconds or so. Is that typical with the Genie and clients?

Forgot to mention, I do have a AM21 connected to my HR in our master bedroom. Only use it when we have bad weather go through and need to see weather maps etc.
Equipment

#11 OFFLINE   Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 247 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

The same monthly fee applies for an HR2x, C31, or H25. The HR34 has five tuners, you may want to retain your best behaved HR2x for some more recording flexibility, or as backup for shows you really like. The C31 vs. H25 discussion is already getting rich on the forum; I had to take the H25 because it connected easily to my legacy tube TV...C31 only had HDMI and a 10pin round AV plug used for an array of adapters, none of which are in stock (classic vapor ware). IMO both are very capable boxes and you would probably be happy with either in your situation.

Will most likely be keeping 2 of the HR's and getting rid of the oldest silver box HR. Need to be sure which of my receivers are showing as owned as I had the HR10 a long time ago switched out as owned. Cannot remember which one it was though. :confused:

About to call DirecTV to get on schedule. Have roofing company coming out on Friday to replace roof from hail damage. They will put dish back up, but no guarantee of signal after they put it back up. Hope to get a Saturday morning appointment.
Equipment

#12 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

Thanks for the information all.

Regarding, 30 second slip vs. skip. Is the slip where you see the 30 seconds go by and can see what it is slipping past and skip just literally skips forward 30 without seeing what it is skipping?

When viewing a program recorded from another DVR, the 30 seconds takes a while to go by, maybe 3-4 seconds or so. Is that typical with the Genie and clients?

Correct on the 30 skip/slip. get good with skip and the average commerical break is under 15 seconds even on a MRV set up.

The slip time is the same as FFx1 speed so 3 to 10 seconds on MRV remote viewing is normal. the Skip feature dose have about a 3 to 5 second delay start when using MRV other wise it's the same as using it on a localy recorded program.

The response time on dvr controls with MRV is due to network speed the faster your home network the lower the delay. (as i understand it and have found with my own system)

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#13 OFFLINE   Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 247 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

Correct on the 30 skip/slip. get good with skip and the average commerical break is under 15 seconds even on a MRV set up.

The slip time is the same as FFx1 speed so 3 to 10 seconds on MRV remote viewing is normal. the Skip feature dose have about a 3 to 5 second delay start when using MRV other wise it's the same as using it on a localy recorded program.

The response time on dvr controls with MRV is due to network speed the faster your home network the lower the delay. (as i understand it and have found with my own system)

Tested out the skip feature and really like it. Sooooo much faster than slip. It makes the MRV usage much better. With this "new to me" feature, I cancelled the HR34 and clients replacement. Was kind of on fence to be on a new 2 years commitment as I just got off the last 2 year one.

I had DirecTV out yesterday and since it was raining they would not do any dish re-peaking etc. :nono2:. They need to come back out next Saturday morning.

Had our roof replaced on Friday/Saturday morning and they put dish back up and could get no signal. Went up after they left and tweaked it a little bit and able to get all SD channels and only my locals in HD at this point. Only changed the elevation on the dish. Did not want to mess with moving it any further.
Equipment

#14 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

Tested out the skip feature and really like it. Sooooo much faster than slip. It makes the MRV usage much better. With this "new to me" feature, I cancelled the HR34 and clients replacement. Was kind of on fence to be on a new 2 years commitment as I just got off the last 2 year one.

I had DirecTV out yesterday and since it was raining they would not do any dish re-peaking etc. :nono2:. They need to come back out next Saturday morning.

Had our roof replaced on Friday/Saturday morning and they put dish back up and could get no signal. Went up after they left and tweaked it a little bit and able to get all SD channels and only my locals in HD at this point. Only changed the elevation on the dish. Did not want to mess with moving it any further.

Glade to hear the 30 skip is working great for you. *try hitting it 6 times in a row no pause between hits, on a commerical break ;)*
If you where getting a smokin deal on the genie might consider reupping the order just cancle the C31's and just install the genie as long as you stay under 16 tuners you will get MRV in all the rooms and will gain all the new toys the genie has. +3 tuners and +100 hours, PIP etc if replacing a HDDVR currently installed.
As for the repeak in the rain, yeah Monther nature is the only person I will never argue with. :nono2:

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#15 OFFLINE   Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 247 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

If you where getting a smokin deal on the genie might consider reupping the order just cancle the C31's and just install the genie as long as you stay under 16 tuners you will get MRV in all the rooms and will gain all the new toys the genie has. +3 tuners and +100 hours, PIP etc if replacing a HDDVR currently installed.
As for the repeak in the rain, yeah Monther nature is the only person I will never argue with. :nono2:

Guess the rain was a sign to not get the upgrade. :lol: Understood about all the new toys etc. I can live without it though, have plenty of options for recording.
Equipment

#16 OFFLINE   Big Dawg 23

Big Dawg 23

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

I called Directv a few times look at the Genie because of capacity needs and tuners. directv wouldn't given me a reasonable offer on the Genie/HR34. They did offer me a new DVR. I already had a r22 & hr22. R22 is now a HD receiver. After getting MRV and a new HR34 I am glad I went the way I did. I have an iPad that I used to control all the DVR except checking the recording lists. The installer was great and talk in depth about Genie. He felt if you already have multiple DVR just get MRV and you will be pleased. So far I like my set up. Of course the only improvement would be the removal of delay on starting a show from another DVR.

#17 OFFLINE   whitestripes1

whitestripes1

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

Is their a monthly fee if your TV is connected via RVU ? Is it the same as a receiver fee ?

#18 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,061 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

Is their a monthly fee if your TV is connected via RVU ? Is it the same as a receiver fee ?

Yes, and yes.

#19 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

Yes, DirecTV charges $6/month for all RVU clients, whether it is a C31 thin client, a Samsung RVU TV, or any future RVU client that isn't out yet (I'm personally hoping they start coming out with RVU client Blu-Ray players).
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#20 OFFLINE   Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 247 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

Had my rescheduled due to rain service call this past Saturday morning. Guy was very good. He tweaked the dish very quickly, had me stay in front of receiver while he was out tweaking since his signal meter was acting up. :lol: He only had to peak one satellite since I had worked on it a bit and got my HD channels back on Monday last week.

He also replaced our H24 that was acting up, pretty much every morning would have RBR to get it's signal back. Since then, have not had to reset.

When he did a system test on our living room receiver(HR20), he noted a hard drive failure on it. All that receiver does is make lots of hard drive noise. He went ahead and replaced that one too, he replaced it with an HR24.

All in all a good service visit from which I ended up getting a couple new receivers.
Equipment

Protected By... spam firewall...And...