Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Today was not a good day with the CSRs

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
94 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:03 AM

I doubt that. To the best of my knowledge, N.E.W. agents handle all TEC calls, except for HR34 troubleshooting, and that practice ended a couple weeks ago, with N.E.W. taking over HR34 troubleshooting.

Let's take a look at the job description for one of the job listings in the Careers section of the DirecTV website:

Job Description
Customer Service Representative- Technical-12XXXXX

Description

Responsible for taking inbound calls from customers who are having technical issues with their equipment or services. This call type requires that the CSR be able to effectively troubleshoot through a variety of technical issues in order to solve customer's problems. CSR may need to provide billing and general support of first call resolution and customer satisfaction. CSR will need to:

Meet established call center productivity and quality standards and communicate in a professional and courteous manner with customers, co-workers and site leadership.
Ask questions and actively listen for responses for the purpose of validating data and determining customer issues.
Simultaneously navigate and update various on-line tools to assist in problem-solving and updating customer's account.
Effectively follow and execute actions using scripts and guidelines located in systems.
Work with the customer, troubleshoot through a variety of options in order to solve the customer's technical issues.
Determine when a technical issue requires that a service call be scheduled and follow-through on scheduling the appointment.
Assist customers with equipment needs such as upgrading equipment.
Input data and write comments into various computer systems in order to track information on customer calls.
Look for opportunities to up-sell to the customer such as adding sports packages or updating to premium channels.
Determine when a call or certain decisions need to be escalated for further review or approval.
Work in a team environment by supporting and assisting other team members as required.
Perform required job functions while maintaining individual performance standards and site specific performance standards such as meeting or exceeding site service level goals.
Stay up-to-date on all communications, processes, procedures and general call center information in order to better assist the customer and to ensure compliance with latest processes.

Full time employees will train 40 hours per week during 5 weeks of training and then adjust to their chosen shift. Shifts after training could include evenings, late nights, overnights and weekends.

To see a video portraying this position in the DIRECTV Tulsa Customer Contact Center, click on the link below.

http://www.directv.c...deos/tulsa.html

Sounds (and looks) like the agents in Tulsa do technical troubleshooting.

I would be happy to discuss the rest of your erroneous assertions, but only in PM and only if it goes no further than PM. I've been burned before by people taking my words out of context and making public what was only to be private.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,127 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:31 AM

"Someone" is going to have a lot more "free time" on their hands. :eek2:

Apparently an innocent rep was fired for it...

#43 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,863 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

Apparently an innocent rep was fired for it...

I'll wait and see how this plays out, as "going" was meant as in "the future".
A.K.A VOS

#44 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

CSR's are barely employable people that have to follow a script. Anytime you have people at that level you cannot give them any authority.

It's really a game... companies no longer wish to solve problems, just have them go away. Most people eventually give up on these carefully crafted programs and remain profitable customers.

And posters on this forum are notoriously difficult to work with. They mess around with their systems so much that they end up breaking it and then call us to fix it. Anytime you get a tinkerer that messes around on that level they start to think they know more than anyone else and become extremely difficult to work with.

It's really a game... customers no longer wish to solve problems, just have a technician come out with the latest upgrade and install it free of charge. Most of the CSRs finally give up listening to the inane ramblings, just stop responding and leave the "Expert" to solve his own problem since he knows so much.

#45 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

I doubt that. To the best of my knowledge, N.E.W. agents handle all TEC calls, except for HR34 troubleshooting, and that practice ended a couple weeks ago, with N.E.W. taking over HR34 troubleshooting. So if N.E.W. doesn't handle all TEC calls, it certainly handles the lion's share.

http://www.directv.c...protection_plan

That certainly seems to imply N.E.W. handles the technical support.

DirecTV agents from BGI and other queues send a LOT of technical calls to N.E.W. agents for troubleshooting, and, if appropriate, delivery of replacement remotes and IRD's. If these replacements need to happen, we get those calls, no matter how many hoops the customer has jumped through, apparently with DTV's own tech agents.

In fact, this makes N.E.W.'s participation in DirecTV all the more senseless, in my opinion. It doesn't matter if the customer spent an hour troubleshooting with DirecTV's tech agents. They get to start all over again, per our marching orders. I see the notes in the account from another agent, saying issue them a replacement, and I ignore it. If I don't, I get dinged. Get it? That's how the system works.

Couldn't the DTV agents simply handle the replacement on the same call, or does the DTV tech agent send the customer to ANOTHER tech agent to go through troubleshooting AGAIN? You see, in our queue, we MUST go through troubleshooting. No troubleshoot, no replacements.

The admission by the DTV fanboi just served the opposite purpose he intended: it shows that DirecTV, at least in my view, creates unneeded hoops for the customer to get what they pay for.

And speaking of the PP, it really only benefits customers with owned equipment, ensuring a free replacement, when appropriate, for their equipment, or a free tech visit. Customers with leased equipment would get a replacement if the problem is due to failure regardless, and the only benefit to them, as far as I see it, is that the PP would pay their shipping, which the customer could get waived if it's clearly a defect, and if they yelp loudly enough. Yet N.E.W. agents are to push, push, push the PP and the PPP.

Do they see a dime of commission?

No, but I'm very sure N.E.W. gets a cut per sale. So, really, the protection plan is kind of like Best Buy's protection plans, in my opinion: packaged to look useful, but at the end of the day, just another way to pump up the bill.

If DTV doesn't farm out 100% of its tech duties (since PP is part of that), then aren't they wasting their money? Seems to me that if they're going to farm out a queue, they'd go for the gold.

Seems to me-- and it's just my opinion-- N.E.W. is more of a liability than an asset, especially since their employees call out on a whim, and cause all sorts of long wait times. It's so bad that, depending on how the "one team" brainwashing works this month, N.E.W. may find itself without DirecTV. I'd laugh if that happened...I truly would.

OK, I've had enough. I sincerely hope that the members of this board understand this guy is not a typical agent. I started a 4 or 5 page rant but realized that may not be the best approach. Rather, just let me hope I meet this guy in a dark tavern so I can punch him in the face and shove Beernuts up his nose. I hope he gets fired soon.

#46 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,127 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

And posters on this forum are notoriously difficult to work with. They mess around with their systems so much that they end up breaking it and then call us to fix it. Anytime you get a tinkerer that messes around on that level they start to think they know more than anyone else and become extremely difficult to work with.

It's really a game... customers no longer wish to solve problems, just have a technician come out with the latest upgrade and install it free of charge. Most of the CSRs finally give up listening to the inane ramblings, just stop responding and leave the "Expert" to solve his own problem since he knows so much.

I know I've gotten frustrated when I tell the rep that I've rebooted the box, moved it to another TV and the problem followed using different cables, then the rep starts by asking me to reboot. I know there's a script, but some of us really do try the simple things before calling in. When I have a box saying it's overheating, and I say I currently have it on the floor and not in the cabinet, swapping the HDMI cable won't do anything...

That, and situations like where it took three appointments to get a CCK installed when I went to SWM and DECA (and the third tech said it would need to be rescheduled a fourth time), really gets frustrating.

Fortunately, I mostly call in about once a year to cancel HBO or something, since I can't do it myself.

#47 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,923 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

LOL...has been for two years. Where have you been? Hint, when they say "Thank you for calling DirecTV Protection Plans, my name is Billy-Bob, and I'm located in Virginia. May I please ask who I'm speaking with?" they're not only using poor grammar, but that is the script for N.E.W.'s work at home employees. But whether at home or in a call center, that's all N.E.W.

So that's what happened to the PP CSRs, huh? I've been wondering where they got those people from. I knew the CMG was siphoning off all the good PP CSRs.

Rich

#48 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,863 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

It may be time to let this thread fade, as there are things going on that will not be public.
A.K.A VOS

#49 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,620 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

I believe those are conflicting statements.

If you are on here or the DTV Forum you are looking for help to solve a problem. You tinker with it trying to solve that problem and usually trying to avoid having a tech come out to fix your problem.
Yes, you do learn things here so you are not totally ignorant of how things work.

You should realize and respect the fact that all people are not problem solvers. Lots of them would get terribly aggravated and confused if they tried what most of us on here do and wind up with a bigger mess than they had to start with. Yes, those people just want to call and say come fix it. I know people that this is the case for them.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#50 OFFLINE   Bigjohn4real

Bigjohn4real

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

It may be time to let this thread fade, as there are things going on that will not be public.

Please do!
HR34-700
HR24-100
HR24-200
HR22-100
H24-200
R16-500
D12-100
HR21-200
R16-500

Whole Home DVR Service
3 RVU Clients

#51 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

I know I've gotten frustrated when I tell the rep that I've rebooted the box, moved it to another TV and the problem followed using different cables, then the rep starts by asking me to reboot. I know there's a script, but some of us really do try the simple things before calling in. When I have a box saying it's overheating, and I say I currently have it on the floor and not in the cabinet, swapping the HDMI cable won't do anything...

That, and situations like where it took three appointments to get a CCK installed when I went to SWM and DECA (and the third tech said it would need to be rescheduled a fourth time), really gets frustrating.

Fortunately, I mostly call in about once a year to cancel HBO or something, since I can't do it myself.

I posted this tongue and cheek. Apparently, my ironic tone didn't carry over.

Most of the posters in this forum seem very reasonable most of the time.

My apologies.

#52 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

It's past time for a certain poster to go back to what he has admitted he likes to do, which is sit on his couch and scratch his jingleberries while assisting customers.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#53 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,863 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

It's past time for a certain poster to go back to what he has admitted he likes to do, which is sit on his couch and scratch his jingleberries while helping customers.

Couch & scratch, but that's about it. ;)
A.K.A VOS

#54 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

Let me just tell you how I handle those calls. When I have a customer who tells me they have done this and that, I explain that to ensure that we didn't miss any steps, I will go down the troubleshooting "guide". If the customer confirms they've done the step, it's good enough for me. I find that often, I'll get to a certain step and they'll say "No, I haven't tried that yet" and then they'll do it. Now, sometimes it resolves the issue, other times we move on. However, by my giving the customer the benefit of the doubt while keeping the option to try new steps that he may not have thought of, I can handle almost all of those who call in and say "I've already done the troubleshooting, I just need a..."

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#55 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

Couch & scratch, but that's about it. ;)

Yeah, if you notice I changed "helping" to "assisting" in my original post. You quoted an earlier version before I realize I had used the wrong word.

You're exactly right, vos. Couch and scratch but no help.

:sure:
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#56 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

OK, I've had enough. I sincerely hope that the members of this board understand this guy is not a typical agent. I started a 4 or 5 page rant but realized that may not be the best approach. Rather, just let me hope I meet this guy in a dark tavern so I can punch him in the face and shove Beernuts up his nose. I hope he gets fired soon.

And this makes you better than him how?

#57 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

And this makes you better than him how?

Because he adds nothing to the quality of DirecTV by showing up for work or by posting on this forum.

#58 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

And you know keyboard karate lol

#59 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,127 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

I guess my thought was that I try to help the situation, I don't call in just because I hit a wrong button or something. I now have an understanding of it, I just don't agree with the policy. There's no need for a tech to have to walk me through a process I have told them I already did, and I don't feel they should be written up if they bypass those, and just go to the things I didn't think of. I don't consider it good customer service to make a rep tell a customer to reboot again. I don't want a new box unless its needed. Setting up series links and losing recordings is no fun.

#60 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,127 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

Let me just tell you how I handle those calls. When I have a customer who tells me they have done this and that, I explain that to ensure that we didn't miss any steps, I will go down the troubleshooting "guide". If the customer confirms they've done the step, it's good enough for me. I find that often, I'll get to a certain step and they'll say "No, I haven't tried that yet" and then they'll do it. Now, sometimes it resolves the issue, other times we move on. However, by my giving the customer the benefit of the doubt while keeping the option to try new steps that he may not have thought of, I can handle almost all of those who call in and say "I've already done the troubleshooting, I just need a..."

I'm good with that method. What gets me is when they won't continue until I actually let it reboot, etc. A tech going through the list and my going "yep, did that" to confirm is fine with me. All the better if it qualifies as going through the required script.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...