Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

ASK DBSTalk: Recording HD and SD at the time

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Remlee

Remlee

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 01:04 PM

Just received my 921. How does the group suggest I record a HD channel and a SD channel at the same time?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 01:23 PM

Set a timer for a HD channel. Set a timer for a SD channel. Watch both channels record at the same time. It's really that simple - you don't have to do anything special.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#3 OFFLINE   Remlee

Remlee

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 01:35 PM

Set a timer for a HD channel. Set a timer for a SD channel. Watch both channels record at the same time. It's really that simple - you don't have to do anything special.

Mark:

Dish is telling me that I need to change the settings in the menu from 1080 to 480 manually (or vice versa), If I change it to 1080, the SD program records in 1080 and appears on my 16:9 screen in a 4.3 square image. If I record a HD channel in 480, what now?

This is probably a really stupid question.

#4 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 01:52 PM

There are no stupid questions. :)

I don't understand Dish's response to you. It makes very little sense. All recording happens before the display options are applied to the output being sent to the television. So, SD material is recorded as SD. And HD is recorded as HD. Makes no difference if your 921 is set to display 1080i or 480i.

Now, what will make a difference is how your television will deal with SD material upconverted by the 921 to 1080i. If it's like mine, you won't be able to strech the square 4x3 image to fill the 16x9 screen. But, that's what the aspect ratios on the 921 are for (of course the stretch one doesn't work very well yet).

You're other option for displaying SD recorded material is to watch it via svideo or composite video in 480i, and then your television stretch modes will work. Or, you can set the 921 to output 480p via component or DVI and your television stretch modes may work.

That's probably what they were trying to tell you, but this has nothing to do with recording. Just viewing.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#5 OFFLINE   Remlee

Remlee

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 01:58 PM

There are no stupid questions. :)

I don't understand Dish's response to you. It makes very little sense. All recording happens before the display options are applied to the output being sent to the television. So, SD material is recorded as SD. And HD is recorded as HD. Makes no difference if your 921 is set to display 1080i or 480i.

Now, what will make a difference is how your television will deal with SD material upconverted by the 921 to 1080i. If it's like mine, you won't be able to strech the square 4x3 image to fill the 16x9 screen. But, that's what the aspect ratios on the 921 are for (of course the stretch one doesn't work very well yet).

You're other option for displaying SD recorded material is to watch it via svideo or composite video in 480i, and then your television stretch modes will work. Or, you can set the 921 to output 480p via component or DVI and your television stretch modes may work.

That's probably what they were trying to tell you, but this has nothing to do with recording. Just viewing.

I appreciate your help.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...