Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Unable to relocate SWM: 771A

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Big Don

Big Don

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

I wanted to relocate my SWM to my basement, where all of my cables, splitters, etc., are centrally located. However, I get a 771A error.

I have one line from the LNB to the 4-way splitter in my basement. Two outputs are in use, the cable from the DC power pass port and another cable to my HD DVR. The other two outputs are not terminated.

The cable from the SWM power pass runs to the SWM, currently in my bedroom, and then to my bedroom HD receiver. All I did was move the SWM to the basement on the same bedroom line. In other words, the SWM is now closer to the splitter but otherwise no difference in connection. However, I get a 771A error.

Perhaps I need to terminate those other outputs on the splitter? Any other thoughts or expertise would be much appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,999 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

Are you sure that is your SWM? A SWM requires 4 lines from the LNB and the output of the SWM goes to your various receivers.

From what you describe, it sounds like you are referring to the SWM power inserter (the SWM itself may be integrated into the LNB). Unused splitter ports should be terminated, as should be an unused port at the output of the power inserter.

#3 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,021 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

... A SWM requires 4 lines from the LNB and the output of the SWM goes to your various receivers.

No it doesn't - many users have a SWM LNB. (One wire from the LNB)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#4 OFFLINE   Tech_1438

Tech_1438

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

I wanted to relocate my SWM to my basement, where all of my cables, splitters, etc., are centrally located. However, I get a 771A error.

Perhaps I need to terminate those other outputs on the splitter? Any other thoughts or expertise would be much appreciated.

Yes, the unused ports on the SWiM splitter should be terminated. That is not causing your current issue, though.

Place the SWiM Power inserter BEFORE the splitter. Attach the cable from your Dish to the Power to SWiM port on the Power Inserter. Attach a cable from the Signal to IRD port on the Power Inserter to the IN port on the 4-way splitter.

Good Luck!!

#5 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,999 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

No it doesn't - many users have a SWM LNB. (One wire from the LNB)

But that wouldn't be located in a bedroom :)

#6 OFFLINE   Big Don

Big Don

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

Thank you for correcting me: it is indeed the SWM power inserter (says SWM ODU on it). I will try moving it before the receiver, though based on the layout of the basement, I would prefer to have it after the splitter. I'm still mystified as to why my moving the PI closer to the splitter (but after it) would cause this issue; I didn't change the order in which were hooked up. Is it possible to be too close?

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

Thank you for correcting me: it is indeed the SWM power inserter (says SWM ODU on it). I will try moving it before the receiver, though based on the layout of the basement, I would prefer to have it after the splitter. I'm still mystified as to why my moving the PI closer to the splitter (but after it) would cause this issue; I didn't change the order in which were hooked up. Is it possible to be too close?

That is the connector that needs to go to the dish [or the Out Door Unit].
The distance doesn't have an affect, but there is only one port on the splitter [which is marked] that passes DC.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...