Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DVR Programming Note Due To Sandy

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

I always check my "to do" list a day or two in advance to see what adventures my DVR's are up to.

Last week, CBS (and maybe some other networks) decided to show reruns of current programs because they must have figured that a considerable number of viewers weren't watching due to Sandy. One good example is "2 Broke Girls". Nevertheless, the PROGRAM GUIDE was never updated. I have this CBS show (among others) set up to record all first-run episodes. Last week, it recorded the rerun which was pretty funny anyway. Now comes THIS week and the program guide says the same episode from last week is again scheduled but the STUPID DVR thinks it has ALREADY RECORDED IT so it doesn't appear in the to do list!!

So, here is an advisory: CHECK YOUR TO DO LIST CAREFULLY this week to avoid nasty surprises!! You can force a one-time recording of such shows by simply highlighting them in the guide, pressing select, and then RECORD ONCE.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 989 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

There were a few times in the past when I recorded a series and a particular episode was preempted due to a special newscast (usually weather related). It would've been helpful if there were a way to tell the DVR the recording was "no good" so that a future rerun of that episode would record automatically.

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,351 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:36 PM

I noticed last week my DVR recorded half of mike and Molly, looking at it I did realize it was a rerun, not what the guide showed. I checked it this week, same description and says its set to record.

#4 OFFLINE   DC_SnDvl

DC_SnDvl

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

I was out of town Monday and my DVR cancelled all of my monday recording due to "program changes"

Why can't Directv get the guide data from a source that is going to get it correct. Tribune F's it up all the time.

I always check my "to do" list a day or two in advance to see what adventures my DVR's are up to.

Last week, CBS (and maybe some other networks) decided to show reruns of current programs because they must have figured that a considerable number of viewers weren't watching due to Sandy. One good example is "2 Broke Girls". Nevertheless, the PROGRAM GUIDE was never updated. I have this CBS show (among others) set up to record all first-run episodes. Last week, it recorded the rerun which was pretty funny anyway. Now comes THIS week and the program guide says the same episode from last week is again scheduled but the STUPID DVR thinks it has ALREADY RECORDED IT so it doesn't appear in the to do list!!

So, here is an advisory: CHECK YOUR TO DO LIST CAREFULLY this week to avoid nasty surprises!! You can force a one-time recording of such shows by simply highlighting them in the guide, pressing select, and then RECORD ONCE.

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,351 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:34 PM

There aren't exactly that many games in town. And Tribune relies on being given reliable data.

#6 OFFLINE   DC_SnDvl

DC_SnDvl

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

You would think they would be able to get 15 year old episodes of the Simpsons correct, but they show up as marked first run more than not.

There aren't exactly that many games in town. And Tribune relies on being given reliable data.

#7 OFFLINE   Mr_A1

Mr_A1

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

My guide updated the same night when CBS pulled the new episodes and my series links reacted accordingly. I also have notice my guide updates the CBS programs on Sundays when football runs over. It may be that the guide will update based on how quickly the station sends the info out.

Setup:
HR24-100(CE 0x08A3) direct connected from Slimline-3SWM Dish & Ethernet Connected Internet.

Connection: HR24 -HDMI-> Yamaha YSP-3000 -HDMI-> Samsung C7100 3D-LED TV.

#8 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,780 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

Out of the main 3, Tribune is actually the best. The other two aren't any better. TV Guide's listings are horrible. The third one is FYI Television and they are a complete joke, just ask any FiOS DVR user where you miss recordings because every few weeks they give some shows alternate names. (Avengers vs The Avengers, Mythbusters vs Myth Busters, etc)

A LOT of it is the networks fault though, Nickelodeon refuses to send accurate weekend listings for their networks until the last minute, and if they make a change to regular schedule after the initial generic schedule for the month came out, instead of updating the whole month, they just send a new revision every week, resulting in bad residual data remaining. (i.e. old original air dates if they change the rollout of premieres with only a few days notice)

Edited by KyL416, 08 November 2012 - 09:44 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,351 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

You would think they would be able to get 15 year old episodes of the Simpsons correct, but they show up as marked first run more than not.

But how is it coded by the network? Comedy Central dies the same thing, which is why I use a Boolean. It's not tribunes job to correct what the network provides.

#10 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

What made no sense to me during that whole thing was that there was nothing to indicate it was a rerun. The "first aired" dates were all 11/5
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

spam firewall