Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper froze, now not recording and all recordings gone

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

A weird thing happened today. The Hopper froze up while I was watching a football game a couple of hours delayed. I couldn't get it to unfreeze, although it played live tv from another channel just fine. I pushed the reset button and it rebooted, but now all my recordings are gone! It claims my HDD is 29% full with 0 recordings. So what is taking up the 29%?

But wait, that's not all! I set a timer to record Terminator 3 as a test case. The Daily Schedule thinks the recording is going on, but the red light on the front isn't on and it doesn't show up in my guide. Same thing on a timer for the NASCAR race. It shows as recording on the Schedule, but isn't in the guide.

I turned on an EHD, and it saw that fine. Then I tried to transfer a recording from the EHD back to the Hopper. I got the box where it calculates the time required, but it never came up with a time. I can switch to Live TV, but not cancel the transfer.

Is my HDD dying? Is there anything I can do to get my recordings back?
Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jefte1

jefte1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

no you will have to get another hopper..Mine did the same thing after only having the hopper for one day.I have 2 hoppers and it only did it on one of them.froze up than lost all recordings. It is the hard drive in the hopper that went bad.the one i have now is fine with no problems ..going on 1 month now.

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,750 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

Just disconnect power cord for a minute - do cold reboot.

#4 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:36 AM

Just disconnect power cord for a minute - do cold reboot.

I did that. No change. PTAT didn't record Sunday night, although the Hopper seems to think the timer fired. There is nothing in the guide though.

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,750 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

Before, dish DVR had HDD check in their menu three, need to check if 813 has it ...

#6 OFFLINE   jefte1

jefte1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

you will need to call tech out.As i said earlier mine did the same thing.. showed program was recording but it did not show up in folder or anything. tech came out said the hard drive in receiver went bad...replaced it and no problems since. also did reboots and all that.

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,750 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

Oh; now a tech could replace a hard drive inside of DVR ?

#8 OFFLINE   jefte1

jefte1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

no!!! the whole reciever will need to be replaced.I am just stating that what the poster had said all was happening with his hopper .The same problems were what happened with my hopper.After the tech installed a new hopper no problems have occurred.

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,750 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

did you lost all of your recordings ?

#10 OFFLINE   jefte1

jefte1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

yes all my recordings,i had over 40 recordings all were lost. pic froze..rebooted and did a unplug.when came back on all recordings gone...tech came out said it was the hard rive that went bad. replaced a month ago and since than no problems.Was told that the problem is they have so many hoppers in storage that sometimes they sit on the shelf's for too long collecting dust lol. anyway he said he has had to replace a few like that.

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,750 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

the tech gave you first excuse what would match your loss; without factual testing and seen its result it will stay as lame excuse

#12 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:37 AM

Dish is shipping me a new Hopper to self-install. Is there anything I should be aware of regarding connection to the Internet or Joey?

Obviously I don't have to worry about losing my recordings, since they're already gone, but what about timers? While playing around with system setup to try to restore my recordings, I found there is a menu option to "back up" timers and favorites to your remote. The CSR wasn't sure if it was enabled on Hoppers. Has anyone tried to back up and restore to a different Hopper?

#13 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,750 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

Yes it is enabled and working OK. Just Use it.

#14 OFFLINE   RASCAL01

RASCAL01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

Just unplug the old Hopper and plug in the new Hopper with all of the cables in the proper location.
RASCAL01
DISH 622, Hopper, Hopper2, Joey
TOSHIBA REGZA 55 LED/LCD 24O HZ
SONY AV 5.1 SOUROUND SOUND
SONY 3D BLUE RAY PLAYER

#15 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

OK Thanks.

#16 OFFLINE   jerry downing

jerry downing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

The remote will have to be "paired" to the hopper if it does not already come that way.

#17 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

That was pretty painless, although the authorization step could be improved. It was partly my fault, though. The Receiver number has a -50 at the end they don't want and they want the number of the old receiver first. They should be clearer about that.

#18 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,750 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

that ending "-XX" for R- or S- numbers is just control sum, to verify if the customer read digits correctly :)

#19 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

The new hopper seems to be working fine. Just one problem - my Joey can't see it. When I turn the Joey on, I get a screen that it is looking for a hopper, with a certain receiver number, please wait. I can wait as long as I want, and nothing more happens. If I go into system settings it says all the network settings Failed, even though I didn't change anything there and my Hopper sees the network just fine. Reset Connection again gives a dialog box that never completes.

Anything I can try before calling tech support?

#20 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 911 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

Is the error 1303? Have you tried resetting the MoCA connection? You can also unplug the Joey for 10 seconds and plug it back in to have the receiver reboot. Please let me know. Thanks.

The new hopper seems to be working fine. Just one problem - my Joey can't see it. When I turn the Joey on, I get a screen that it is looking for a hopper, with a certain receiver number, please wait. I can wait as long as I want, and nothing more happens. If I go into system settings it says all the network settings Failed, even though I didn't change anything there and my Hopper sees the network just fine. Reset Connection again gives a dialog box that never completes.

Anything I can try before calling tech support?

spam firewall