Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Help with seeing if I could use and existing dish

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stevev68

Stevev68

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:29 AM

I am trying to see if i could use an existing dish at a piece of property i bought at the lake so i could just take my reiver when i go to the lake. I tried hooking it up already and it would work but not sure if its lined up with the satellite. How do i know if it will work or not. The existing one on the propoerty says its a Slimline but not sure how i tell if its a 3 or a 5 or any othe information. Also i just upgraded my equipment at the house with HD receievers and the put a new dish on the house and it also says Slimline on it. Do you think i just need to have the dish lined up with the satellite and if so, whats the best way to get this done. Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,557 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

If the dish is mounted, it is probably already aligned.

My first guess would be to assume that it is a SWiM dish and as such needs a Power Inserter. You'll need to know how many outputs there are on the LNB assembly to be certain.

Once you've figured that out, you'll know whether you need the PI or you just need to go through the receiver setup and tell it which dish your using.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   Stevev68

Stevev68

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:20 AM

It only has one LNB. So what does that mean?

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,853 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

There are several things you need to check. First, start with your home setup. On one of your receivers, press the dash button (bottom left on remote) and see if a window opens up saying "SWiM Connected". Also, look at the dish and see if it has one big "knob" or 3 "knobs" visible on the LNB assembly. One "knob" means you have a 3LNB dish, 3 "knobs" means you have a 5LNB.

Check the dish at your cabin as far as the single or triple LNB covers (3 or 5 LNB dish). If they are the same, it will make things easier, but you can still use it either way. More information on dish and LNB is located here: http://hr20.dbstalk.......able FAQ.pdf

The biggest issue will be whether or not the dish at the cabin is an SWM or regular dish. About the only certain way is to carefully remove the LNB assembly from the end of the mounting arm and look at the connector(s) on it. If there is only one connector where coax can be connected, it is an SWM LNB. If there are four connectors, it is not SWM. Before actually taking the LNB out, look and see how many coax wires are coming from the dish. If there is only one, you won't be able to tell for sure, but if there are 2 or more it will be a strong indicator the dish is non-SWM.

What you really want is to have the same type of LNB at both locations. If your home dish is a 5LNB SWM, then you want a 5LNB SWM at the cabin.

If the dish at the cabin is SWM, then you will need a power inserter in addition to a receiver, in order to use it. You can buy power inserters here: http://www.solidsign...&sku=7440900270

Solid Signal also sells LNB assemblies, so if the one at the cabin is not the same as the one at your house, you can buy just the matching LNB and install it to the dish at the cabin. Just be careful to not move the dish itself when you are working on the LNB assembly.

Once you've got matching LNB assemblies, and a power inserter if you need one, hook up your receiver and see if it works. The dish is probably aligned properly.

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,557 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:12 AM

It only has one LNB. So what does that mean?

That means that it is an SL3 LNB (capable of receiving 99W, 101W and 103W).

What it DOESN'T tell you is whether it is SWiM or legacy and that's what's important. You can tell that with a full model number (though this isn't well documented) or whether there are four F connectors or one (the easiest method).

In future, you should carefully photograph the LNB so you can easily and surely answer these questions.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

spam firewall