Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM16 - 8 Tuners

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jmhenry5150

jmhenry5150

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

Hey guys...

I have a SWM16 but only need 8 runs (4x HR24-200, 4x H25-500).

When I got the SWM upgrade, the installer put in a SWM16 but it's not really needed as I only need 8 runs - With the 4 DVRs, there WERE 4 extra runs for dual tuners - so those aren't needed anymore.

So what I would like to do is take those extra 4 runs OUT of the SWM16 mix and hook them up to an external HD antenna...but that's down the road a bit.

In the meantime, I would like to remove the 4 extra runs from the SWM16, thus removing one of the splitters and cleaning up some clutter.

There is a 4-way splitter and an 8 way splitter coming off the SWM16. on the 8-way splitter, there is a connection to the ethernet device. I only want to keep the 8-way splitter - remove the 4-way.

Is all this making sense?

So my question is - what's the best way to do this?

How can I do this with the SWM16? There are 3 posts that have things hooked up in the far upper right of the SWM16, and I don't want to remove anything without knowing the best way to do it.

Can someone explain how / what those 3 posts should be hooked up to? Is what I want to do possible?

Or should I just try to get DirecTV to come out and put in a SWM8?

Any help would be appreciated as I don't want to mess it up :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jmhenry5150

jmhenry5150

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:52 AM

Attached is a diagram that is pretty close to my system - I want to remove a splitter and just hae 1 plitter in the system that feeds 8 tuners.

Attached Thumbnails

• swm-16-diagram.jpg

#3 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,696 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

I have a SWM16 but only need 8 runs (4x HR24-200, 4x H25-500).

Any help would be appreciated as I don't want to mess it up :)

While you may only have 8 runs, you have 12 tuners.
Each of the SWiM outputs can only support 8 tuners, so you can't have 12 without using both outputs.
A.K.A VOS

#4 ONLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

With 4 HDDVRs and 4 regular HD receivers that is 12 tuners it doesnt matter how many cables you have. You did need the SWM16 to run that many receivers now if you are going to disconnect the 4 HD receivers then you could just use "half of the SWM16" and elimanate the 8way splitter and just use the 4 way splitter with your 4 HDDVRs.

#5 OFFLINE   jmhenry5150

jmhenry5150

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

Boy am I confused now...

Is there an FAQ somewhere that will answer how this works?

I guess what I don't understand is, yes I have 12 total tuners but I shouldn't need 12 runs out to the TVs...8 total TVs should only be 8 runs...

No?

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,849 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

Boy am I confused now...

Is there an FAQ somewhere that will answer how this works?

I guess what I don't understand is, yes I have 12 total tuners but I shouldn't need 12 runs out to the TVs...8 total TVs should only be 8 runs...

No?

8 TV locations should be 8 coax runs, assuming one receiver/DVR/HMC/client per tv location.

The HMC has 5 tuners. A DVR has 2 tuners. A receiver has 1 tuner. An RVU client has no tuners but still needs a coax connection (but does not use an SWM channel).

However, SWM channels are based on TUNERS not Coax connections. So if you have 12 tuners, you need an SWM16, you can't support more than 8 tuners with an SWM LNB or an SWM8 switch.

Tuners, and coax connections are two different things. Don't get them mixed up with each other.

#7 OFFLINE   jmhenry5150

jmhenry5150

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

Hey Carl thx for the quick overview...

Now that I have that understood - what I don't get is how do I eleiminate 4 runs to the TV's...

The DVRs were at one time, setup for 2 runs each...now I only need one run each...

Is there a good wiring diagram that will show me how to do it?

#8 ONLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

Why would you want to elimanate the extra cables? You said you would be adding an external antenna down the road so just leave the cables and put a splitter in and hook your antenna up to the splitter then you have 4 rooms wired with antenna.

#9 OFFLINE   jmhenry5150

jmhenry5150

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

Why would you want to elimanate the extra cables? You said you would be adding an external antenna down the road so just leave the cables and put a splitter in and hook your antenna up to the splitter then you have 4 rooms wired with antenna.

Yes that's what I want to do...but these cables are currently connected to my SWM16...

I need to pull these off and seperate them...but I just don't know how.

I pulled what I thought was the 4 - one at a time and checked the TVs - all seemed OK but about an hour later things started going haywire so I put them all back the way they were.

#10 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,696 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

Yes that's what I want to do...but these cables are currently connected to my SWM16...

I need to pull these off and seperate them...but I just don't know how.

I pulled what I thought was the 4 - one at a time and checked the TVs - all seemed OK but about an hour later things started going haywire so I put them all back the way they were.

When you remove a coax from a splitter, that wasn't being used, you need to connect a termination to the port on the splitter. If you don't it can cause problems, which you may have found.

Pull a coax off the splitter and check all receivers.
Do they have a picture, yes/no
"No" go connect the coax back.
"yes" now install a termination on the splitter and pull another coax and repeat.
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   jmhenry5150

jmhenry5150

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

When you remove a coax from a splitter, that wasn't being used, you need to connect a termination to the port on the splitter. If you don't it can cause problems, which you may have found.

Pull a coax off the splitter and check all receivers.
Do they have a picture, yes/no
"No" go connect the coax back.
"yes" now install a termination on the splitter and pull another coax and repeat.

Excellent...

So if I isolate the 4 that are not needed, can I then completly remove the 4-way splitter and terminate the top post on the SWM16 then?

#12 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Thirsty from pretzels

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

Excellent...

So if I isolate the 4 that are not needed, can I then completly remove the 4-way splitter and terminate the top post on the SWM16 then?

No. Look at your thread title, jmhenry. You don't have 8 tuners. You have 12 tuners. You cannot connect all of your boxes to the same splitter, as SWiM-16 has two outputs and they can handle 8 tuners each.

Your DVRs, while now using a single coax connection, count for 2 tuners on the SWiM-16.

#13 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,696 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

Excellent...

As posted, you have 12 tuners and only 8 can be connected to "ONE SWiM OUTPUT" leaving you 4 that need to use "the other output".
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

Replace the two 8-way splitters in the picture you posted above with two 4-way splitters. Then hook up the 8 cable drops that go to your receivers to those 8 ouputs. That will make sure you don't overload either side of the SWM16.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#15 OFFLINE   jmhenry5150

jmhenry5150

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

Replace the two 8-way splitters in the picture you posted above with two 4-way splitters. Then hook up the 8 cable drops that go to your receivers to those 8 ouputs. That will make sure you don't overload either side of the SWM16.

THAT is exactly what I was looking for :)

#16 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,960 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

THAT is exactly what I was looking for :)

That won't work, he has a BB deca that is also hooked up to the 8 way.

You need to disconnect the four lines that aren't actually hooked up to the DVR and terminate the ports they where connected to, but that doesn't even make sense, because they shouldn't be hooked up now at all.

Can you take a picture of what ll is going on around your spliters and switches? And how many coax cables are actually screwed into your dvrs?

#17 OFFLINE   Johnnie5000

Johnnie5000

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

There are 3 posts that have things hooked up in the far upper right of the SWM16

The one in the middle is the power supply. Leave it alone. Disconnect that line and every tv will say 771-a.
The top one is 1-8, use that for your hr24s. The bottom is 9-16, use that for the 4 h25s and bb deca if possible.

#18 OFFLINE   jmhenry5150

jmhenry5150

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:43 AM

I had DirecTV come out and this is exactly what he did.

spam firewall