Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

R-22 Setup Question

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

I have two R-22-100 receivers connected to an SWM8 and have recently installed a Slimline dish. I seem to have good signal across all the satellites on both receivers.
On the upstairs receiver, in settings, I have a menu selection to "Hide HD Channels" or "Show All Channels". On the R-22-100 downstairs this selection is grayed out and I cannot change it. Any ideas why this may be? :confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,651 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

Try having the problem 22 reauthorized from DirecTV by either a CSR or doing in online from your account.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

If you don't have any other receivers on your acct, chances are one was activated on an HD acct. R22's by themselves do not count as HD receivers, unless they are on an acct that has other H/HR models active.

#4 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

If you don't have any other receivers on your acct, chances are one was activated on an HD acct. R22's by themselves do not count as HD receivers, unless they are on an acct that has other H/HR models active.

OK that makes sense, I had purchased them from two different people.
So when I get another HD receiver and activate it they will both show the HD channels. I just seemed strange that I can pull up the HD guide on one but not the other.
Ticks me off that I cannot active HD with just these two receivers that I have to get another one. (Whole home DVR as well) even though they are capable of it. :mad:

#5 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,210 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

OK that makes sense, I had purchased them from two different people.
So when I get another HD receiver and activate it they will both show the HD channels. I just seemed strange that I can pull up the HD guide on one but not the other.
Ticks me off that I cannot active HD with just these two receivers that I have to get another one. (Whole home DVR as well) even though they are capable of it. :mad:

Call them and tell them you have the HD dish and want to activate HD programming.
See what they have to say. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#6 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 798 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

Call them and tell them you have the HD dish and want to activate HD programming.
See what they have to say. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

If he doesn't have an actual HD receiver or HD DVR on the account, there is no point in doing that.

The R22 is considered an SD DVR by the system. You can't add HD on to an account if there are only R22s on the account. Because the system treats it the same as if it was an R16.

The receiver can receive HD, but unless you have another HD receiver on the account it will only work as SD.
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,487 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

For whole home, you'll need two additional boxes, or replace one of the R22s. You need at least one HR box and at least one H box, or a C31 with a 34.

It was quite big news when they let it get HD at all, it wasn't always allowed even the way it is now.

#8 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:19 AM

Many people bought the R-22's thinking they had found a loophole into getting cheaper HD DVR's...when they closed that loophole there was quite a fuss. People don't like it when they cant milk the system and get away with it.. :lol:

#9 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

Many people bought the R-22's thinking they had found a loophole into getting cheaper HD DVR's...when they closed that loophole there was quite a fuss. People don't like it when they cant milk the system and get away with it.. :lol:

Not sure how it would be "Milking the System" as you would still have to pay DVR and MRV fees. And whether I would be paying an additional reciever fee on their "Real" HD receiver or my "Wanna-Be" HD receiver would not be any difference to them. And as a Dtv subscriber for 20+ years I think I can probably get a free upgrade. :confused:

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,380 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

Not sure how it would be "Milking the System" as you would still have to pay DVR and MRV fees.

It was thought to be a win because you could theoretically pay only $7 (at the time) instead of $17 ($10 for HD Access). By the time WHDS (the additional cost version of MRV) rolled around, this theory had long been proven flawed.

Flawed theories die hard with DIRECTV though as people are still "buying" leased receivers thinking that they are owned (an example, not necessarily the case here).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#11 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:09 AM

It was thought to be a win because you could theoretically pay only $7 (at the time) instead of $17 ($10 for HD Access). By the time WHDS (the additional cost version of MRV) rolled around, this theory had long been proven flawed.

OK I understand now. I am just a little frustrated because I think if the unit is "capable" of it they should allow it. (Personal Opinion)

Depending upon what they will give me for being a loyal customer I may just put one of my (H)R-22's on the shelf.

Flawed theories die hard with DIRECTV though as people are still "buying" leased receivers thinking that they are owned (an example, not necessarily the case here).

Yes I have to thank everyone at DBS Talk for the information I received when looking at buying my R-22's :D I was able to call Dtv and check to make sure they were able to be activated.
There are a lot of receivers out there that cannot and even the sellers don't know it. (some do, and don't care) they think that since they paid for it it's theirs...

#12 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,210 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

OK I understand now. I am just a little frustrated because I think if the unit is "capable" of it they should allow it. (Personal Opinion)

Depending upon what they will give me for being a loyal customer I may just put one of my (H)R-22's on the shelf.

Yes I have to thank everyone at DBS Talk for the information I received when looking at buying my R-22's :D I was able to call Dtv and check to make sure they were able to be activated.
There are a lot of receivers out there that cannot and even the sellers don't know it. (some do, and don't care) they think that since they paid for it it's theirs...

If you upgrade to Whole Home DVR service I think you will be pleased with how little bit the upgrade cost is.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#13 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

If you upgrade to Whole Home DVR service I think you will be pleased with how little bit the upgrade cost is.

$3.00 is not a bad deal. it would increase my recording ability to 4 Tb. The only bummer is that I have to watch all the shows and clear off the drive to be able to attach one to the new receiver. Or have an extra HD receiver sitting doing nothing... :rolleyes:

#14 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,210 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

$3.00 is not a bad deal. it would increase my recording ability to 4 Tb. The only bummer is that I have to watch all the shows and clear off the drive to be able to attach one to the new receiver. Or have an extra HD receiver sitting doing nothing... :rolleyes:

$3 is he extra cost per month for the connectivity of your receivers to each other.
Where do you get 4 TB of storage ?
The R-22s have a small drive, the HR2XX have from 320 to 500 gigabytes drives. The HR34 has 1 TB.

I was referring to the actual hardware and the installation cost.

Example: I upgraded from an R15 to an HR24 ( was lucky to get that ). They changed me to SWM technology, rewired to the receivers and redid the ground all for less than $100.

#15 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

$3 is he extra cost per month for the connectivity of your receivers to each other.
Where do you get 4 TB of storage ?
The R-22s have a small drive, the HR2XX have from 320 to 500 gigabytes drives. The HR34 has 1 TB.

I was referring to the actual hardware and the installation cost.

Example: I upgraded from an R15 to an HR24 ( was lucky to get that ). They changed me to SWM technology, rewired to the receivers and redid the ground all for less than $100.

I have 2 Tb drives in each of the receivers. With Whole Home DVR it would span across both drives.
I already have a SWM8 in the system and the two receivers see each other across my network they just won't comunicate because I'm not activated (Or eligible). :nono2:
Dtv will not have any installation cost (other than a SWM splitter) All they need to do is send me the equipment.

I guess the real reason I don't want to upgrade right now is because of the two year agreement that would be required.
I would happily pay the $10.00 per month fee for HD I'm just not sure I should commit to two more years of high bills. (Not sure where my job is going)
Comcast is starting to look really good with their "No long term commitment" deal. (Although I admit I have not read their fine print)

Edited by dazed&confuzed, 09 November 2012 - 12:18 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,321 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

If he doesn't have an actual HD receiver or HD DVR on the account, there is no point in doing that.

The R22 is considered an SD DVR by the system. You can't add HD on to an account if there are only R22s on the account. Because the system treats it the same as if it was an R16.

The receiver can receive HD, but unless you have another HD receiver on the account it will only work as SD.

What if he is in a MPEG4 only market? Would that make a difference?
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#17 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 798 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

What if he is in a MPEG4 only market? Would that make a difference?

Nope, it is considered a Standard Definition MPEG4 DVR. So he would get the locals (in HD) but everything else would get SD only, unless there was another HD receiver on the account. I think the R22s were originally made specifically for MPEG4-only markets.

Edited by JBv, 09 November 2012 - 07:03 PM.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

spam firewall