Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What would be my best upgrade path ?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rorkin

rorkin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

I currently am past my 2 year commitment so I am considering an upgrade.

Currently have old dish with 4 wire output.. No swm in system.

Have a HR 21
3 H20's
and 2 AR 21 for local

Dish Distributed by zinwell 6 x 8

All fed by 2 coax to each unit for Dish and 3rd for OTA.

Home network is wireless/n.

H21 is connected through game adaptor to download guide .
Only one that is capable of Networking.

Looking to upgrade recording capabilities and to multi room viewing

Tv's are all Sony LED but at least 6 years old.

Suggested approach and configurations welcome..

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

I would start by calling Directv and seeing what upgrade they have avabile for you. might be able to get a full upgrade for less then you might think, that includes replacment of the H20's to H21+ for MRV compatableity and swim dish upgrade. If they extend an offer of an addional HDDVR for what you deam resonable, might as well run with it for replacing one of the H2x's, (no billing change unless you add as addional room) you can also look at a genie upgrade will proly cost more than a MRV upgrade but will also net you the top of the line unit currently avabile.
As for what upgrade path would be best that depends on what you want to get out of the upgrade and how much you want to spend.

Edited by otaliema, 05 November 2012 - 12:06 PM.
phraseing.

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,832 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

If you call DIRECTV they may offer you a free HR34 Genie and clients as well as a SWM upgrade. That would be the way to go to replace your DVR and receivers. It would give you the ability to record up to 5 things at the same time and pause live TV in any room.

The only issue is that you could only watch or record a total of 2 off-air streams in the entire home. Would that be a problem?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   rorkin

rorkin

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

If you call DIRECTV they may offer you a free HR34 Genie and clients as well as a SWM upgrade. That would be the way to go to replace your DVR and receivers. It would give you the ability to record up to 5 things at the same time and pause live TV in any room.

The only issue is that you could only watch or record a total of 2 off-air streams in the entire home. Would that be a problem?

I would have to think about that but probably not an issue.. If I added another off air receiver would that bump that up to 3 off air recordings ??

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,832 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:58 PM

It would not. The HR34 Genie can only support one AM21. You would need to add a second DVR.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

I currently am past my 2 year commitment so I am considering an upgrade.

Currently have old dish with 4 wire output.. No swm in system.

Have a HR 21
3 H20's
and 2 AR 21 for local

Dish Distributed by zinwell 6 x 8

All fed by 2 coax to each unit for Dish and 3rd for OTA.

Home network is wireless/n.

H21 is connected through game adaptor to download guide .
Only one that is capable of Networking.

Looking to upgrade recording capabilities and to multi room viewing

Tv's are all Sony LED but at least 6 years old.

Suggested approach and configurations welcome..

Depending on your status and history with DirecTV, you will most likely be met with a Whole-Home Upgrade that would cost just the install ($49) or delivery ($19.95). That would include a 2nd HDDVR and an HD IRD. Your other H20 would also be swapped out for an MRV compatible unit at no cost. You'll end up with 2 HDDVRs and 2 HD IRDs. You'll get the option for CCK upgrade, too. Take it and dump the wireless adapter in your hr21. Your bill will go up $3/month for the MRV, but otherwise should stay the same. Tech will take 2-3 hours to set it up since you'll get a new SWM system, LNB, switches, half as many cables, etc. If they try to give you an HR22, I would refuse the install. Have 'em put it in the tech notes. Just an insider tip.

You may get an option for a discounted HR34, but I wouldn't plan on it. I have seen a couple of discount offers but they are few and far between. I've never seen one offered at no cost for existing customers.

Should be easy with any technical agent that has been working longer than a month or so. Just put the AM21s on the HDDVRs. Installation has been wide open the last week or two, except of the east coast and I'm getting way more than half set up within 24 hours. Give us a call.

Edited by smitbret, 05 November 2012 - 03:29 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   rorkin

rorkin

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

Not sure what you mean about the HR-22-- Would that be an offer on the 2nd Recorder ??

What model should the 2nd recorder be ?? Forgive me what is a cck upgrade .. I have not looked at this stuff in a while

#8 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,812 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

The HR2x series DVRs are all considered equivalent by DirecTV. Therefore you could get an HR21, HR22, HR23 or HR24. Some people prefer some of those models over others. I have had and used all with no problems, however smitbret is suggesting you should not accept an HR22 (ask for an HR24 instead). Whether or not you will be able to actually do that will depend entirely on the installer you get and what equipment is on his truck. Personally, I would not refuse the install because of an HR22.

CCK is Cinema Connection Kit. There is also a WCCK (Wireless CCK). This is the interface between your DirecTV equipment and your home network for internet access for the DVRs.

#9 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

Ok, here is my situation. I am off contract. I have 4 HR20's all connected with the whole home/swim/etc. The HR20's are slow with the remote, bringing up guide, changing channels. But I am able to record 8 channels at once, plus download capability on all four. I think the 4 HR20 draws a lot of electricity.

I have Cox and U-Verse (or Dish) as other options.
It's only tv!

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,423 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:42 PM

I think it's about 40 watts each.

I don't think you'll find a DVR that uses much less than that, other than something like the Genie that could replace two DVRs.

Even the best scenario at UVerse wouldn't allow that much HD at once.

#11 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:28 AM

If your contract is up, mention Dish and the hopper, they will defend the genie, say yeah but I can get the hopper for free.... For me that got me a free genie and free instal, since it was just a swap anyways.

But if you go the Genie route, when it works it is great, when it bugs out not so good. Overall i love it, yet it does have its issues that after a year now of it being out is inexcusable.

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,423 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:00 AM

Hopper isn't bug free either.

#13 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:55 AM

Hopper isn't bug free either.

Never claimed it was, or suggested to get one, but the shear notion of leaving for the hopper makes DTV shriek and they couldn't have been quicker to get me one for free. My bro did the same thing, so its worth a shot if you have some leverage.

spam firewall