Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hoppy blurry guide?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   galaxie428

galaxie428

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

I was at my parents visiting this past weekend and they just had the Hopper and 1 Joey installed. They do not have HDTV's, just SD. The picture looked ok but the guide was almost impossible to read. It almost seemed blurry. I had to strain my eyes just to see what was on the guide. I know not many people still have SD TV's but do any of you have this issue?

I went through the menu and I did not see anything that would help the issue. I tried different settings with the resolution because the installer had it set to 1080i but I didn't think 480i looked any better.

The installer told them it would be better if they had HD but I find that a little unacceptable. Now they think they need to try to get an HDTV which they do not have the money for.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

I mirror SDTV's for my shop and quest areas....you're right the guide is almost unreadable. I thought I read this was going to be addressed at some point but obviously it has not.
Thank you and
Best of luck

#3 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

They may want to change the guide to the large setting. It would only show 3 rows at a time, but would be easier to read.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,839 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

I wouldn't say 1080i TV screen has no blur or fuzzy edges for the EPG screen ...

#5 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:39 PM

I wouldn't say 1080i TV screen has no blur or fuzzy edges for the EPG screen ...

What......?:lol:
Thank you and
Best of luck

#6 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:09 PM

They may want to change the guide to the large setting. It would only show 3 rows at a time, but would be easier to read.

Currently NO such setting on the HOPPER
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#7 OFFLINE   RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:47 PM

Is the TV connected with component/RCA cables? Also is the screen format 16:9 or 4:3?

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,584 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:58 AM

If it is an SDTV and connected through the SD outputs on the receiver, then I don't think the resolution settings actually matter... You only get 480i from the composite output anyway... so that probably explains the blurry look.

Beyond that, it probably doesn't help if the output has tiny text if the screen is a small SDTV screen.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#9 OFFLINE   galaxie428

galaxie428

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:31 AM

Thanks all.

Is the TV connected with component/RCA cables? Also is the screen format 16:9 or 4:3?

The TV only has coax, S-vid and RCA for inputs so RCA is what is connected to it from the Hopper.

The installer had the screen resolution set for 16:9 for an SD TV. I changed it to 4:3 but to be honest, I could not tell there was much difference. I assume it should be set for 4:3 but I don't know why the installer had it set for 16:9.

Beyond that, it probably doesn't help if the output has tiny text if the screen is a small SDTV screen.

It isn't a small tv, it is a 36". I mean I wouldn't consider that too small.

#10 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

I concur with the above post, I've done those things also...to no avail. Clearly SD is not considered in the equation...and that's understandable, can you even by a SDTV anymore? My old TV's are 20 inchers, "programmed obsolesce"...I suppose.
Thank you and
Best of luck

#11 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

Currently NO such setting on the HOPPER

I'll have to check this when I get to work, if it is there I will post back how to change. If it isn't, I am sorry for posting incorrect info.

#12 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

I'll have to check this when I get to work, if it is there I will post back how to change. If it isn't, I am sorry for posting incorrect info.

There definitely is no such setting on Hopper.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#13 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

There definitely is no such setting on Hopper.

I looked... in the menu, click on "Settings", click on "Format TV", click on "Screen Adjustment" in that menu you will see a "plus" (+) button. It will enlarge the guide screen.....sort of, enough for older eyes like mine..? not really.
There is obviously room for improvement, wether we'll ever see it for the lowly SD...? probably not.
Oh, when done click on close.
Thank you and
Best of luck

#14 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

I looked... in the menu, click on "Settings", click on "Format TV", click on "Screen Adjustment" in that menu you will see a "plus" (+) button. It will enlarge the guide screen.....sort of, enough for older eyes like mine..? not really.
There is obviously room for improvement, wether we'll ever see it for the lowly SD...? probably not.
Oh, when done click on close.

That's for overscan. If you zoom it in too much it cuts off elements on the sides of the screen.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#15 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

I looked under all the settings on the Hopper and there is no adjustments for the size of the guide. I would hope Dish is considering adding this feature in the future.

#16 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

The Hopper/Joey system is designed for HD TVs. Dish has other receivers for SD or HD/SD households. It sounds like the OP selected the wrong receiver setup for now.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...