Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Still Need 2 dishes to get HD?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tjdean

tjdean

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

I'm thinking of switching back to Dish. When I had them a few years ago I needed 2 dishes on my roof since their HD satellite was in a different location. Would I still need 2 dishes? I'm in upstate NY.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

I'm thinking of switching back to Dish. When I had them a few years ago I needed 2 dishes on my roof since their HD satellite was in a different location. Would I still need 2 dishes? I'm in upstate NY.

Doubtful. I had two when I left years ago...and now that I am back I have one.

#3 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:01 PM

You will need at least 61.5 and 72.7 for Eastern Arc you should be able to use just 1 dish. For Western Arc you need the satellites at 110/119 and 129 again you should be able to use 1 dish. It is possible with either arc you might have a location that is obstrucked and needs more than 1 dish

#4 OFFLINE   RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:38 PM

This is something that would really need to be determined on site by a technician. We do have a 1000.4 EA DISH antenna that would allow you to pick up the proper orbital locations for all your programming including HD. The only exceptions to this would be if there was an obstruction blocking line of sight, or if you had international programming. A second dish would be required in order to receive the international channels off of the 118 orbital location.

#5 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,772 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

A better response depends on you providing at least a general location, such as "near Wichita Kansas". (example only).
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,929 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:30 PM

Use www.dishpointer.com and www.dishuser.org, there you'll find sats where are your channels locating, include LiL and international if there any.

#7 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 730 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

A better response depends on you providing at least a general location, such as "near Wichita Kansas". (example only).

Would the location change much in this equation? I thought that people either had the EA or the WA and only had a split arc (i.e. 2 dishes) as a last resort if they couldn't get all of the satellites from their arc due to obstructions.

I guess if someone is in the WA and he had service before, at least they knows they can get at least two of the three satellites.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#8 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,772 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

Yes- it DOES matter - in my location, (Raleigh Durham NC market) - we can get HD from either Western Arc OR Eastern Arc (depending on line of sight). However - most locations aren't that fortunate - their HD is on EITHER Western Arc OR on Eastern Arc - not both - so yes - for HD it does matter. If you are just SD - then it doesn't, as all that is done from 110 / 119 .
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Protected By... spam firewall...And...