Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Does am21 have to hookup to dvr?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   diamatron

diamatron

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:40 AM

I have the hr34 with clients and HDTV boxes. Can the an21 connect anywhere in my network of recievers? Or only At the 34 location.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,940 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:44 AM

It needs to be connected to a regular (Non Client) receiver. Also, ONLY that receiver will have access to it (Unless it's connected to the HR34, then clients will have access to it).

#3 OFFLINE   diamatron

diamatron

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

Thanks. I was just making sure because the clients do have USB.

Anyways. I passed on the install today. The tv repair wanted 700 dollars to get my antenna system to digital compatibility.

I currently have a channel master 1160 he said. It has a pre amp but I don't have the power supply or it. It's on a rotor but don't have the control box.

So I didn't do anything. I maybe I will look online for a control box an see if my rotor turns. I assume its from 1984 when the house was built

#4 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,940 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

The clients do have a USB port? Hadn't noticed that before. Not that it would reallly have any practical purpose (That I can think of) , but now I'm wondering what would happen if you connected the AM21 directly to the client? Not at home right now, and won't be until around 7-Somebody wanna play? lol
And $700 to "Convert" you to digital? There isn't any need, or even any way , to "Convert to digital.'' There aren't analog and digital antennas. Either the antenna picks up the station or it doesn't, regardless if the staion is being broadcast in analog or digitally. You can get a rotator for MUCH cheaper. The only question is whether that's the appropriate antenna for your area and what stations you're trying to grab.

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,666 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

Does your television set have an antenna input and a built in tuner? If so, connect your existing outdoor TV antenna (not your dish) to your TV and check for reception on your local channels. If you get them on your TV directly, chances are good you will get them on an AM21. If you don't get them on your TV, chances are very good you won't get them on an AM21.

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,656 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

Connecting the AM21 to a C31 does absolutely nothing, and in fact the USB port's pretty much useless too.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,138 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

Anyways. I passed on the install today. The tv repair wanted 700 dollars to get my antenna system to digital compatibility.

I currently have a channel master 1160 he said. It has a pre amp but I don't have the power supply or it. It's on a rotor but don't have the control box.

So I didn't do anything. I maybe I will look online for a control box an see if my rotor turns. I assume its from 1984 when the house was built

I'm still using the old USF/VHF OTA antenna that was on the roof of my house when I bought it in 1971. The only upgrade was replacing the twin leads with coax. I got all the available OTA channels with my HR20 and get over 100 channels when connected to my TV set. Of course that includes many sub-channels; one station has ten separate feeds. I am 36 miles from Mount Wilson, where most of the TV broadcast antennas are located.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#8 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,707 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:00 PM

There is no such thing as a digital vs analog antenna. The antenna doesn't care.

If it has a preamp and it can't be powered, remove the preamp, bypass it.
Point the antenna at stations towers, manually one time if you have to, and you will get lots of stations on the AM21.

#9 OFFLINE   diamatron

diamatron

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:08 AM

The antenna repair guy explained to me how digital signals need digital antenna. Compared them to Satelite.

I figured channel 48 was channel 48. Frequency is the same. Now I do think a digital amp could possibly be better in theory.

It only makes since to try my antenna first. Let you know how it works out.

#10 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,039 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:27 AM

digital or analog...it has nothing to do with it, it has to do with what frequencies the antenna can receive (UHF/VHF...) and also the frequency rating of the amplifier and/or splitter used.

#11 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:36 AM

The Channel Master 1160 if that is what you have is a really good VHF/UHF antenna, many people online wish they had them. If your "Antenna" guy is telling you it needs replaced tell him to take a hike.

Now the pre-amp, and rotator might need replaced (if you even need them), but definitely don't let him replace that antenna unless it is damaged beyond repair.

Post a link to your TVfool results here and I'm willing to bet someone can tell you if you really need a pre-amp and rotator or not. Be sure to include an estimated height on the antenna as that can make a big difference.
http://www.tvfool.co...apper&Itemid=29

Don't worry your address won't show up when you link your results here, just the results.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#12 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

I used to have a Channel Master antenna and pre amp. Had it on my roof about 50FT all together. I could pick up all of the Nashville, TN , Chattanooga, TN , Knoxville, TN and even Alabama sometimes (living in middle TN). It was wired in to a RF 3 injector that allowed my TV to pick up all the channels then my BUD (locked on to Galaxy 7) would RF on 3. I miss those Analog signal days. But digital or analog the Antenna doesn't matter. Antenna can't differentiate between a digital or analog signal.
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

spam firewall