Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

microsoft says no win7 sp2

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JcT21

JcT21

Legend

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:20 AM

seen this on my facebook newsfeed...

for all of us sticking with windows 7 it looks like microsoft has no plans to put out an sp2 :eek2: looks like they are trying to force us to windows 8. i read a post by another user from the maximum pc facebook page saying...

"They will have to when Windows 8 Tanks, like Vista.. I do not want my screen to look like a Elementary School Classroom."

i tend to agree. windows 7 is pretty good as it is. the update process is long after a re-install but for me its still better than 8.

http://www.maximumpc...e_pack_2_you234

Xtra + HD Extra Pack
SiriusXM subscriber

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,747 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

A security rollup would be nice.

#3 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 809 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

I'd be happy if they could get all the dumb .Net patches into a single patch for each version. Having installed 4 servers in the past couple of days, the .Net patches kill me. Install .net, reboot, install 1st round of .net patches, reboot, install 2nd round of .net patches, reboot, install 3rd round of .net patches, reboot. What's that Windows Update, more .net patches. OK, install them and reboot .........

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#4 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

I'd be happy if they could get all the dumb .Net patches into a single patch for each version. Having installed 4 servers in the past couple of days, the .Net patches kill me. Install .net, reboot, install 1st round of .net patches, reboot, install 2nd round of .net patches, reboot, install 3rd round of .net patches, reboot. What's that Windows Update, more .net patches. OK, install them and reboot .........

+1
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#5 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,729 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

I have no intentions of going to Windows 8 until they make trivially easy to not use that damn Metro GUI interface. It's totally useless unless you have a tablet type input/output device. I LIKE the basic Windows 2000 style interface. Windows 7 isn't bad.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#6 OFFLINE   fmcomputer

fmcomputer

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts
  • LocationYpungstown. Ohio

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

Windows ME, Vista and now Windows 8

#7 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

seems like since me every other os has been a flop me, vista, 8
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#8 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,799 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

Windows 8, and no SP2 for Windows 7 is going to push a lot of people to Linux or Mac. If they want to buy new hardware they'll go Mac, if not they'll install Linux on existing hardware.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#9 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

Windows 8, and no SP2 for Windows 7 is going to push a lot of people to Linux or Mac. If they want to buy new hardware they'll go Mac, if not they'll install Linux on existing hardware.

What is the big draw for SP2? I am perfectly happy with all 4 of my Windows 7 boxes as they are now. Am I missing something?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,747 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

Not the average user. They'll just stay on 7. If they move to Mac it won't because there won't be a SP2.

#11 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

Yeah, I don't really see the big deal. I thought the Service Packs were GENERALLY just all the previously released updates, in one large update? By THAT logic, technically, I have SP2 on my computer right now. It's just a nightmare when you first install Windows lol

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,747 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

Generally yes. There have been times they added functionality, but they generally avoid that now.

If you want an easier time installing fresh, slipstream the updates. Not as easy as it used to be, but certainly possible.

http://www.pcworld.c...ng_and_usb.html

spam firewall