Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

BlockBuster"s service...or lack of..

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 901 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

I sent this to BB this morning...a lot a good it will do...:rolleyes:

I have set my Queue to have the next available DVD sent.....that said do you only have one copy of such films as Prometheus, The Raven and Dark Shadows.....?
For 3 or 4 weeks I've been on the Short Wait List, which is ridiculous! Come on BlockBuster you had to go down to my 8th choice in the Queue to find a movie to send me....! for the last 3 weeks.......?
I'll be posting this at Satellite Guys and DBS also perhaps others have had it with this type of terrible service! And to add insult to injury the last DVD was unplayable...!

Edited by 356B, 05 December 2012 - 11:06 AM.

Thank you and
Best of luck

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

I think they are putting most of their eggs in the streaming business. As is Netflix and Amazon.

#3 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

Discs by mail has very rarely sent out brand new titles due to the high demand for them. It is easier to get these titles by exchanging your mailer for them in a nearby location. Of course, if you do not have a location near you then you are out of luck.

#4 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 901 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

Discs by mail has very rarely sent out brand new titles due to the high demand for them. It is easier to get these titles by exchanging your mailer for them in a nearby location. Of course, if you do not have a location near you then you are out of luck.

Not always, in fact until recently I guess I was lucky...or picked unpopular newly released DVD's. And the location....? my nearest location...I think...is 2 hours away...So as you say I'm SOL....for now.
Thank you and
Best of luck

#5 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

Same problem here.... almost 3 weeks and no DVD's and 8 out of 9 in my queue are available.

UPDATE.....
I just went to the dish web site and removed Blockbuster from my account and was prompted to keep the service for 1/2 price. I still selected the option "No Thanks."

Not even for free.... Back to NETFLIX........

Edited by tommiet, 06 November 2012 - 06:11 PM.

**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#6 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

Your situation can't be typical or everybody would jump ship. The DVD (blu-ray) I just received was mailed 24 hours after they received my last one and I only had two of eight available. I have had no complaints during the past 12 months.

#7 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

See if you can save some money and try canceling your BB. May save you some money.
**** HARDWARE *****
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#8 OFFLINE   martzta

martzta

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

I too have had to wait weeks to get anything in the mail. When I complained they told me that to avoid long waits I needed to have at least 10 titles in my my queue that are available. Everything I want to watch is not available by mail and usually takes months to become available. I did find it was easy to exchange locally and most if not all are available but of course I have to drive to the store. Still debating on dropping the service.

#9 OFFLINE   ggotch5445

ggotch5445

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

So far, we have been quite happy with the BB disc service, and find it quite comparable to Netflix.

However, I will say that we rarely are looking to get a movie to watch as soon as it comes out on Blu-ray. My wife and I are big film fans, but the need to see films as soon as they are newly released on disc are tempered by: 1. We rarely have the time to view more than 3 or 4 films during a typical week; 2. We own a fairly large library of fave movies on disc that we often watch; 3. As soon as we see interesting films being released theatrically, or read a favorable review of a newly released Blu-ray, we simply add it to our BB queue. Consequently, we always have 60+ movies in the queue, so the newest films do not come up in their turn, to be sent to us, until likely a year or so later. No problem since all of the movies that arrive in their turn will still be new to us.

We have always felt, whether we were still with Netflix or BB, that this kind of disc program was a perfect opportunity to view "smaller" films, that maybe did not receive large theatrical exposure, as well as those titles that were big box office hits. So consequently our queue is loaded with titles, and rarely are we given a delay in the arrival of the next title to be sent from our queue.

As I write this, the latest movie we received from BB is sitting on the coffee table, as yet unwatched, though we received it a week ago, as we have not yet had the time to screen it yet.

So I guess we cannot judge whether BB is lax in getting new films out to its subscribers, but our advice obviously is to build up one's queue a bit so one is not disappointed by likely delays with new, much-in-demand titles.

#10 OFFLINE   jpeckinp

jpeckinp

Legend

• Registered
  • 225 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

Same problem here.... almost 3 weeks and no DVD's and 8 out of 9 in my queue are available.

UPDATE.....
I just went to the dish web site and removed Blockbuster from my account and was prompted to keep the service for 1/2 price. I still selected the option "No Thanks."

Not even for free.... Back to NETFLIX........

You lose some channels doing this also. When I noticed them in the guide I realized I didn't watch those stations anyway so it didn't make a difference.

#11 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

You lose some channels doing this also. When I noticed them in the guide I realized I didn't watch those stations anyway so it didn't make a difference.

With my new Netflix account, I get more for less. Netflix its integrated into my internet ready TV, so no messy boxes to use. I'm happy and saving $2.00 a month... Weeeeeee
**** HARDWARE *****
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#12 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 571 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

Happy with the "free" disk. Most in queue are "short wait, but I seem to be getting at least 1 per week, often the short wait ones. I only put newer releases in queue, streaming stuff is usually too old for me. Belong to Amazon Prime for streaming (and faster free shipping), mostly for TV shows.

I may drop BB (especially if they drop the free disk), the extra HD movie channels seem to be getting "old", and I never seem to find anything worth watching.

#13 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:39 AM

Signed up with Netflix @ 6:00 pm one night and added 3 DVD's to my queue. Had a dvd the NEXT DAY! Blockbuster and Netflix both have a local distribution center local, but BB on its best days takes about a week to report they received my DVD and in this case, 3 weeks to get me the next one on my queue. At best BB would only allow me to get one or 2 dvd's a month. For $10.00, that's just too much. I believe they throttle the delivery to save money.

If your happy with BB, that's great. But nice to have options.
**** HARDWARE *****
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#14 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 324 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

Signed up with Netflix @ 6:00 pm one night and added 3 DVD's to my queue. Had a dvd the NEXT DAY! Blockbuster and Netflix both have a local distribution center local, but BB on its best days takes about a week to report they received my DVD and in this case, 3 weeks to get me the next one on my queue. At best BB would only allow me to get one or 2 dvd's a month. For $10.00, that's just too much. I believe they throttle the delivery to save money.

If your happy with BB, that's great. But nice to have options.

It only takes about 3 days to do a turn around for me and I guess I do not want the ones that are popular, because they are sent out as soon as they receive the one I send back.

#15 OFFLINE   russ9

russ9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

Well, they have slowed down enough that it's taking well over a week between discs. Three days to receive, 1 more to process (unless it's Saturday, it's clear they don't work weekends) then two or three more for me to get my disc. And, for the most part anything "new" takes months to become available.
Dishing it up since 4-4-1997
vip722K hooked up to a bunch of stuff. Like a bigger TV.

Soon to be on Dish network, explained by a BBC spokesman

#16 OFFLINE   rocat1997

rocat1997

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

I've had 1 movie on the list for almost 6 months and it still says very long wait. I do, however, like the ability to go to the store for an exchange. I can get any movie, but, no games. i do wish games were exchangeable at the store. Plus, dropping it back at the store, causes the next disc to be mailed. It's got it's trade off's. If we didn't have a store close, I probably would cancel.

#17 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 931 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

Do you guys have the box checked to get DVD or blue ray which ever is avl first? Or just DVD? Does the setting help on turn a round time?
"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#18 OFFLINE   rocat1997

rocat1997

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

I believe I have mine set that my first preference is blue ray if available.

#19 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 901 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

I believe I have mine set that my first preference is blue ray if available.

Same here, perhaps that can contribute to the delays. We're spoiled with the quality but I may change that and see what happens. :sure:

I changed the settings in my list of 8 "short wait" and came up with one "now" available...a B Horror movie about Chernobyl.....so much for that. :lol:

Edited by 356B, 11 November 2012 - 10:37 PM.

Thank you and
Best of luck

#20 OFFLINE   BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj

Mentor

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:25 AM

They need to work on their availability and keep their disk sets whole. I've got several "Disk 1 of 2" or "Disk 2 of 2" in my queue under "Not currently available". I think what happens is that disks within a multiple disc set break due to attrition and Dish/BB does not replace the individual ones. Having pieces of the sets fall into the Not Available list over time gives a poor impression of BB to customers. They could turn this into a bonus by actually buying another copy of the disc and sending out a "we heard your request and replaced the disk -- it's available again" e-mail. But I've never seen that happen.

I also think that the one disc at a time business model does not draw customers into Dish. Instead of giving people a taste of what they could get with the more expensive options, it highlights problems inherent with using the postal service as a delivery mechanism. I haven't added any two hour movies to my queue, for instance, because the view / wait ratio is too low. After waiting for days (assuming the disc is available now), it seems I'd just take the disc out of the mailbox, watch it for two hours (or four with commentary/extras) and put the disc back in the mailbox the same day. That's the best case. The wait time can be doubled if the disc arrives broken. Instead, I use Dish to watch television series or old black and white movie serials where you have a dozen or so episodes. Then I can spread my viewing out over a week or two. But those tend to be multiple disc packages so I often find broken sets. This economy of view and wait would change if we could have two discs at a time, but dish disincentivizes people from that because they show their worst side and expect people to pay to see better.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...