Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

BlockBuster"s service...or lack of..

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

Too late for me.... already have my 2nd DVD from Netflix. I dumped them last year after the rate hike, but tucked my tail where the sun does not shine and signed back up... HAPPY.......
**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

I just looked at the new releases for next week. Not one is available in blu-ray. That's a first.

#23 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 991 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

From my perspective, the service is slow but I have not had a problem getting BluRay disks. I get at best 1 a week. It take 2 days from when I drop a disk at the Post office for them to acknowledge and another day to ship. So if I drop it in the mail on Monday, I get another disk by Friday or Saturday. Pretty Slow but I do like being able to get BluRay at no extra cost.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#24 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 889 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

I really don't see how Dish justifies charging for BB. I got a year for free for various reasons but if I had to pay.....? They apparently have only a few popular or new releases copies because if you pick a new release for the queue you either wait in some cases for weeks, or get a movie down the queue which is available currently....way down the queue... or they discriminate against promotional customers (non paying) and the paying ones....This is routine, today got a message I was receiving the 9th pick on my queue, I have 11 in the queue. I have no experience with any of the other rental houses, maybe they all do this...but I doubt it..
On the other hand this feature may be in the process of being phased out, or at the least a sever cut in available inventories, many stores have closed also.... Regardless paying customers or anyone else should not be expected to put up with this type of shallow business. If BB/Dish must go deep into a customers queue for an available movie something is very wrong....
Thank you and
Best of luck

#25 OFFLINE   rocat1997

rocat1997

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

I find their service ok, I too have several movies on very long wait. And the store doesn't carry it. I've also had issues with discs coming broke. They do always send another but that just extended my wait. I wish all their inventory could be streamed.

#26 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 991 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

It does make you wonder what happened to all of those disks from the BB stores that were closed. Obviously postage and handling are a sizable expense for a mailed disk operation so maybe they are throttling us. I can't seem to do better than 1 disk a week and I have had no trouble getting my disks but I have been working through the whole Mad Men series from the beginning.
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#27 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 889 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

I find their service ok, I too have several movies on very long wait. And the store doesn't carry it. I've also had issues with discs coming broke. They do always send another but that just extended my wait. I wish all their inventory could be streamed.

Perhaps I expect to much...they claim new releases this week and next. Yet I wait weeks for new releases...? I don't get it? Or are they hoping we rent via VOD and pay rather then wait for the next available copy? double win for Dish....
Thank you and
Best of luck

#28 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

Don't forget, you also get about 20 additional channels and streaming through their HD dvr receivers.

#29 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 889 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

Don't forget, you also get about 20 additional channels and streaming through their HD dvr receivers.

Yes I'm aware of that and I watch a few of those occasionally but that does not excuse the poor service with the BB side.
Thank you and
Best of luck

#30 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

Look Blockbusters is not Netflix, we know this. It is about half the speed but IT IS HALF THE PRICE if you have Dishnetwork already accounting for all the extra channels you get.
Blockbusters should advertise this, half the price but half the speed perfect for those that dont whatch a new movie ever 3-4 days like most.
"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#31 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 889 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

Look Blockbusters is not Netflix, we know this. It is about half the speed but IT IS HALF THE PRICE if you have Dishnetwork already accounting for all the extra channels you get.
Blockbusters should advertise this, half the price but half the speed perfect for those that dont whatch a new movie ever 3-4 days like most.

Ya think? Then why do they bother if they're not going to actively compete? They are playing in that arena.
If they have no intention of supplying the demand say so. I know they actually say in the fine print a "short wait" could be up to two weeks. When I first read that I thought it was a misprint, so I called and the nice woman on the phone told me to lengthen my queue list, good thing I did or I would get nothing...for weeks.
If the majority don't care they give lousy service with the DVD side nothing will change.
I just got a message from a DIRT member saying the issue should be addressed but because there is no penalty for late returns people don't and they run out of DVD's...great blame the customer for gaming your flawed system...and being less expensive is no excuse for bad service, and the channels included are niche for the most part... in my opinion. Perhaps I'm out of line... but this kind of stuff irks me.....Waiting for a movie then getting a plan B sucks....once in a while...ok...but week after week? Come on...!
Thank you and
Best of luck

#32 OFFLINE   rocat1997

rocat1997

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

I do like the exchange at our local store. I would drop it if we didn't have that. They always have new releases.

#33 OFFLINE   russ9

russ9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

Ya think? Then why do they bother if they're not going to actively compete? They are playing in that arena.
If they have no intention of supplying the demand say so. I know they actually say in the fine print a "short wait" could be up to two weeks. When I first read that I thought it was a misprint, so I called and the nice woman on the phone told me to lengthen my queue list, good thing I did or I would get nothing...for weeks.
If the majority don't care they give lousy service with the DVD side nothing will change.
I just got a message from a DIRT member saying the issue should be addressed but because there is no penalty for late returns people don't and they run out of DVD's...great blame the customer for gaming your flawed system...and being less expensive is no excuse for bad service, and the channels included are niche for the most part... in my opinion. Perhaps I'm out of line... but this kind of stuff irks me.....Waiting for a movie then getting a plan B sucks....once in a while...ok...but week after week? Come on...!

Yes, bottom line is it makes Dish look bad, like a second rate service.
Dishing it up since 4-4-1997
vip722K hooked up to a bunch of stuff. Like a bigger TV.

Soon to be on Dish network, explained by a BBC spokesman

#34 OFFLINE   gireeshbhat

gireeshbhat

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:16 PM

Here is my experience;
1. The turnaround time for the online service is awesome where I am. If I mail my disk on Monday I have a new disk Wednesday.
2. Online availability is abysmal for new movies.
3. The added channels and streaming are a bonus and should be treated as such. For those without movie channels Epix 1,2 and 3 are a valuable addition.
4. This is the kicker- the Blockbuster service is awesome if you have a store nearby. Add crap movies to your queue, get them in the mail and exchange in-store for a blue carpet release movie ASAP. This is all I do now and it works very well. Example. MIB-3 has a long wait online but I just exchanged some random disk today at my local store for MIB-3.

My location is North Houston and the local Blockbuster store is a thriving business that is not in the process of being shutdown.

#35 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 991 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

Your store is only thriving if the majority of people actually renting DVDs at the store. If they are just exchanging then it is a bit more questionable. We had several stores here in Silicon Valley, the stores were always full but I assume the store lease expense was high and the numbers for the stores must not have penciled out. It is very difficult for a brick and motar store to compete with the Redbox model for picking up local DVDS. While waiting for my BB DVD I was able to easily reserve and pickup a very current DVD for only $1.30. When I returned the DVD to another Kiosk, I had my receipt on my iPhone 15 minutes later. There is no way Brick and Motar can compete with that. I would say, enjoy your BB store while you have it. I sure used ours until it was closed along with all of the others nearby. The two closest stores now are 10.5 and 14 miles away.

Edited by DoyleS, 10 December 2012 - 02:37 PM.

Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#36 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

For those of you with a short queue, I have found that having about 30 or so in the queue at a minimum ensures that a disc is available for delivery right away.

BB is not better than Netflix, but then again, you also get a bundle of movie channels with the deal. Overall, it's a good value for most.

I do wish that E* could come up with a better streaming interface for the set top boxes. The interface on my 720 dvr looks like a teenager's high school project....
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. - Ghandi

#37 OFFLINE   BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj

Mentor

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

For those of you with a short queue, I have found that having about 30 or so in the queue at a minimum ensures that a disc is available for delivery right away.

I've got over 30 in mine but 5/6th of those are "Not Currently Available on Disc". The search interface stinks.

#38 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 991 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

LOL!! I don't think I could find 30 movies I wanted to watch. So far I have been fortunate to be working my way through the Mad Men series. I had planned to do Homeland next but delivery looks impossible.
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#39 OFFLINE   user3162

user3162

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

As a new (old) sub, I got a free month with BB. I had tried them a few years ago and found the service horrible- the worst by far between BB, Netflix and WalMart. Since Dish bought BB, I had hoped things improved. They did not and I will dropping them, soon as my month is up.

#40 OFFLINE   dakeeney

dakeeney

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:23 AM

:nono2:

As a new (old) sub, I got a free month with BB. I had tried them a few years ago and found the service horrible- the worst by far between BB, Netflix and WalMart. Since Dish bought BB, I had hoped things improved. They did not and I will dropping them, soon as my month is up.

I'm still getting the message "we are processing your movie and it will be sent out asap." I sent my movie back Monday. I keep having the same old problem with BB. I'm ready to wipe my movies clean and just stick with Netflix.

spam firewall