Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

SWM splitter In Series

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   johnssc1

johnssc1

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

Please help me with this before I start removing drywall!

I have a SWM With a 4 port splitter. The PI is after the splitter. 2 ports are used.

If I take a third port, then add a 4 way splitter, and connect 3 outlets to this, will I get #1 or #2?

#1. All three outlets will show the same channel, even with three boxes
#2. All three outlets can be controlled by different boxes, and show different channels.

Both are acceptable, but I would like to know the outcome beforehand!

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

Please help me with this before I start removing drywall!

I have a SWM With a 4 port splitter. The PI is after the splitter. 2 ports are used.

If I take a third port, then add a 4 way splitter, and connect 3 outlets to this, will I get #1 or #2?

#1. All three outlets will show the same channel, even with three boxes
#2. All three outlets can be controlled by different boxes, and show different channels.

Both are acceptable, but I would like to know the outcome beforehand!

Thanks

A 4-way feeding another 4-way isn't your best option, because of the combined loss.
Replacing the current 4-way, with a 2-way that feeds two 4-ways is better, as this is very close to being one 8-way.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:21 AM

Seems like you need 5 lines, I'd recommend a 2 way with one line going to the furthest receiver, and the other line to a 4-way, but really there are a lot of ways to do it depending on how far the cable runs are.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   johnssc1

johnssc1

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

Seems like you need 5 lines, I'd recommend a 2 way with one line going to the furthest receiver, and the other line to a 4-way, but really there are a lot of ways to do it depending on how far the cable runs are.

The two sets that are connected now run from an exterior splitter right into the house (~20 ft). The other line wraps a tortous path to the other side of the house, and may be over 100 ft long if stretched!

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

The two sets that are connected now run from an exterior splitter right into the house (~20 ft). The other line wraps a tortous path to the other side of the house, and may be over 100 ft long if stretched!

This would be best connected to one leg of a 2-way and then use a 4-way on the other leg to feed the short runs.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,048 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

It sounds as if the OP wants a total of five connections. Would there be any difference in signal loss between adding a 2 way splitter to the existing 4 way splitter, or adding one 4 way to a 2 way. Either option would give five free connectors. I understand adding two four ways to one two way, which gives eight free connectors, three of which would have to be properly terminated.

The real question is what are these five wires connected to. No matter how many wires you have split off a SWM-8, the total number of tuners must be no more than eight. Remember that all of the HR models except the HR34 have two tuners, and the HR 34 has five tuners.

Assuming the total number of tuners is no more than eight, then each box will be able to tune to any channel.

spam firewall