Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

My 1st 2 YR Contract is up...please advise?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   orbeavhawk

orbeavhawk

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

On the 6th of DEC my 1st 2 year conrtact with DTV will expire........I do like them alot better than DISH or Comcast and thus would like to stay with DTV.....but would like to know if one will commit to another 2 year deal with them - will they sweeten your deal with discounts like they did in the initial deal? Also, I would love to get one of those I believe itis an HR34 "Genie" to replace my HR24 500?
Please tell me how to go about getting my most "bang for me buck"?

THANKS michael:confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

Existing customers do not get the sweet deals new customers get, but you may get a discounted upgrade offer in exchange for locking you up another 2 years. Me, I put up with grotesquely under-powered DVRs to avoid a new contract. I gotta say, though, if they ever come up with a device that the majority say consistently performs quickly, I might be tempted.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#3 OFFLINE   jrlt

jrlt

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

how do you find out when your contract expires?

#4 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

orbeavhawk, I have played this game to my advantage the three times it has come up for me.

The first was in 2007 (or was it 2006? I can't remember) as I got on board with leased equipment, retiring the hardware I owned. I had to pay $299 for my HR20 DVR (this was before it dropped to $199) but I got the installation and hardware for a move for free (it was also before Mover's Deal).

In 2009, I got a 2nd DVR for free, a free receiver and a free tweak of my system.

Earlier this year, I made out like a bandit, getting a HR34, SWiM, DECA, HD Access and Sunday Ticket all for free, plus the installation of all the hardware at no charge. I'll let you read the story.

As the saying goes, your mileage might vary. I ask for almost nothing while I'm on contract, going for the gold instead every 2-3 years. It works for me.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#5 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

Let's just say that the threat of cancelling out of contract has nearly the weight of a new customer. If you've been a "questionable" customer the deals might not be as sweet.

#6 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

how do you find out when your contract expires?

Call and ask or remember the date of your last leased receiver activation that was not a swap out.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#7 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

Let's just say that the threat of cancelling out of contract has nearly the weight of a new customer. If you've been a "questionable" customer the deals might not be as sweet.

be carefull what you ask for - you just might get exactly what you don;t want, they don;t play the threat game to much any more

#8 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

It depends on your attitude. I called Retention and made it clear I was there to make a deal. I wanted to sign a new commitment. Retention's main job is to get people to stay, not leave.

I never threatened to quit. Instead, I told them I wanted to make some things happen to get me to sign up for two more years.

I made it a win-win scenario, not a win-lose one.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#9 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

It depends on your attitude. I called Retention and made it clear I was there to make a deal. I wanted to sign a new commitment. Retention's main job is to get people to stay, not leave.

I never threatened to quit. Instead, I told them I wanted to make some things happen to get me to sign up for two more years.

I made it a win-win scenario, not a win-lose one.

I agree with you, did the same exact thing and never once make the threat to quite if I didn't get what I wanted, was able to amiably work out a acceptable deal with the rep on the phone and as a added bonus found a few other hole in the wall eateries in her area that I did not know about:) was a win - win situation. Will make sure to hit them the next time I am down there on the Wing.

My comment was meant just as it was stated - don;t threaten to quit you just might get what you really don;t want

#10 OFFLINE   edro

edro

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

You can always set your cancellation date for the future.
If they don't budge, just call back in to cancel the cancellation.

The CSR I talked to said they can give up to $250 worth of credit out.
That could be an upgraded box, new box, programming, monthly discounts over 12/24 months, etc.

#11 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:50 PM

I got a $168 credit WITHOUT a new 2 year commitment! Of course, I didn't get any new equipment but I made such a big stink about their ripoff "sports fee" (I hate sports and never watch) that they switched me to retention and gave me $10 off for a year and removed the DVR fee ($8) for six months. That makes up for their annoying "regional sports fee".

Things are changing so fast in the way TV programming is received I don't want to commit to 2 years with DirecTV which is why I still don't have HD. Maybe someday if they wake up I'll buy a slimline dish myself and get HD via my R22 but apparently they don't want an additional $10 a month for HD without a commitment and a clunker reconditioned HD DVR "upgrade".

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#12 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:23 AM

be carefull what you ask for - you just might get exactly what you don;t want, they don;t play the threat game to much any more

This is true. I was actually referring to the "Quality" of the offers that you might get. On that note, though, I've found that the average customer way overestimates how much the length of service means to DirecTV. Good customers are a combination of time and how much they spend each month.

Threats will certainly make the quality of offers go down. They key is make it clear that you are exploring options and are willing to switch providers if someone else makes a significantly better offer but you are willing to stay with DirecTV if it makes sense. Flattery will get you everywhere. Telling the agent how much you've enjoyed DirecTV and doing it with a quiver in your voice like you are about to call off the wedding can work wonders.

Edited by smitbret, 14 November 2012 - 08:32 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...