Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Purchasing Equipment and Setup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mek_man

mek_man

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

Hi,

I recently bought a hopper and 2 joeys off ebay to install and replace my 722 leased DVR and have a few questions.. I am hoping someone on here can help me out.

First off I know I need to get a solo node, which I am planning on buying. Do I need any special Coax cables or can I use the standard ones you would find at Home Depot, etc?

I called up Dish to activate the boxes and the CSR without asking for information on the units automatically they said no we can't do that you have to use our Hopper/Joey from us direct. I have read on this forum that it can be done? So any input would be helpful there.

Also, I still have time to return the units. How do I make sure the units aren't someone's leased units that they sold on ebay??

Thanks in advance!

Before someone jumps down my throat about asking why I decided to buy equipment vs lease equipment it is because I didn't want to extend my contract as I could potentially move with work to a location that has bad satellite reception.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,151 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

If you had a 722, that line should work for the Hopper feed. Standard coax (RG6 is preferred) will work for node/Joeys.

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,330 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

call dish, give them R-numbers and check if these available for activation on your account

don't call for activation before you'll check R-numbers and will setup your Solo node and cables

don't listen to BS, just ask for a super of retention dept or hangup and call again: they will deactivate all other boxes and set only h/j models for your account

RG-6 would work OK, just ask salesman to verify 3 GHz sweep on the reel's label or invoice
the 3 GHz freq is need to be checked for ONE cable from a Solo node to a hopper.

Here is condensed info: www.dishuser.org/hopper.php

#4 OFFLINE   RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

Hi,

I called up Dish to activate the boxes and the CSR without asking for information on the units automatically they said no we can't do that you have to use our Hopper/Joey from us direct. I have read on this forum that it can be done? So any input would be helpful there.

If you need assistance with activating the equipment please feel free to send me a PM with the receiver and smart card numbers. Thanks!

spam firewall