Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR22 ir port

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   montanaxvi

montanaxvi

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:45 PM

How common is it for an ir sensor to go bad? I've got an HR22 and cannot get any response from the remote unless I'm a foot away from the sensor on the front of the receiver. I've done a RBR on the unit and tried with 3 remotes, all with the same results. Before I make a call in to a CSR what are the chances they'll say that functionality of the unit is operating as it should and the convenience of the remote won't get a replacement unit sent out.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,993 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

may be your TV has light sensor ? turn it off to check

#3 OFFLINE   montanaxvi

montanaxvi

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:53 PM

Not sure about the TV being an issue in any......... Thanks!!

Had a book laying on top of my surround sound remote causing interference. Getting new siding on the house and the estimator left the book of samples to look over and it got put to the side when the wife was done looking at it.

Your suggestion got me looking for remotes and found the above.

#4 OFFLINE   funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:39 AM

Not sure about the TV being an issue in any......... Thanks!!

Had a book laying on top of my surround sound remote causing interference. Getting new siding on the house and the estimator left the book of samples to look over and it got put to the side when the wife was done looking at it.

Your suggestion got me looking for remotes and found the above.

Same effect as a plasma overloading it with IR signals.
LR: 50" Samsung plasma, Samsung bluray, HR24, H25, Roku, Denon AVR-1912, URC MX-450 with RF.

BR1: 32" Sony LCD, H25, SnapAV HDMI balun.

BR2: 32" Acer LCD, H25, Xbox 360.

Bonus: 73" mitsubishi 73742, HR24, SnapAV HDMI balun

#5 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:57 AM

may be your TV has light sensor ? turn it off to check

And Pete wins again!

Rich

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,993 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

Not by direct shot :)

#7 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

Florescent back lit LCD TVs can also interfere with IR.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#8 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:48 PM

Not by direct shot :)

Pointed the way for him. Gave him something to look for. Kudos!

Rich

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

Florescent back lit LCD TVs can also interfere with IR.

No problems with the back lit by LED LCDs? I saw a monstrous 80" Sharp Aquos a couple days ago and it had a pretty good picture on it. I was surprised.

Rich

#10 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

No problems with the back lit by LED LCDs? I saw a monstrous 80" Sharp Aquos a couple days ago and it had a pretty good picture on it. I was surprised.

Rich

There's no problem with LEDs. It's the switching power supply for the LCD backlight that creates the interference and LEDs don't need one.

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,993 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

Drifting off-topick, seen in Costco the 80" monster (isn't time to measure TV screen by feet ?) - looks appealing, but the $5000 range is not what I'd like to see.

#12 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

There's no problem with LEDs. It's the switching power supply for the LCD backlight that creates the interference and LEDs don't need one.

Thanx,

Rich

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

Drifting off-topick, seen in Costco the 80" monster (isn't time to measure TV screen by feet ?) - looks appealing, but the $5000 range is not what I'd like to see.

Wasn't in Costco and it wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be. Don't remember the exact cost.

Rich

#14 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

A nice bandaid for the LCD back light issue is Blue painters tape over the IR sensor. The problem is prevalent with Vizio tv's and it's actualy part of thier steps to resolve the issue. I'm not sure on the exact details but has somthing to do with the tape filters out enough of light from the TV the receiver can deal with the reset and the remotes stronger signal at that point works again.

Interesting. Noted that another remote can cause problems with our units.... if there button is being held down..

Edited by otaliema, 07 November 2012 - 02:42 PM.
spelling.

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#15 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

A nice bandaid for the LCD back light issue is Blue painters tape over the IR sensor. The problem is prevalent with Vizio tv's and it's actualy part of thier steps to resolve the issue. I'm not sure on the exact details but has somthing to do with the tape filters out enough of light from the TV the receiver can deal with the reset and the remotes stronger signal at that point works again.

Interesting. Noted that another remote can cause problems with our units.... if there button is being held down..

I was having a war with one of my neighbors who just bought a wireless door bell, the same model I have. Don't know who it was, but he kept ringing my door bell and I kept ringing his door bell and a lot of time passed. When I went out to go to the store, my car dongle was dead. Nothing worked. Had to drive for a while to get it working again. Never gonna do that again. He won.... :lol:

Rich

#16 OFFLINE   montanaxvi

montanaxvi

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:33 AM

Funny story about signals and interference. No idea what they each had but my in laws bought a house that whenever the neighbor opened their garage door my in laws doorbell would ring. I

Protected By... spam firewall...And...