Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2-year contract expires next month... options?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   carillon

carillon

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

I currently have 6 receivers (1 HD/DVR, 1 HD, 4 SD). With my contract expiring, what would be my best course of action to renew? Should I get Genie and get rid of the receivers I have?
SlimLine-5 SWM-8-LNB Dish (HD Service / WHDVR)
HR34-700 Genie / Sharp 52LE700UN HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA
C31 Genie RVU Client / Dynex HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA
HR24-500 / Panasonic TC-P54S2 / HDMI / Networked - DECA
H24-700 / Toshiba SDTV / Networked - DECA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,497 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

Even if you got rid of all your DVR's, you'd need a SWM-16 if you went to a Genie, unless you got three C31s. If those would go in seldomly used rooms, it might be an option.

#3 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

I currently have 6 receivers (1 HD/DVR, 1 HD, 4 SD). With my contract expiring, what would be my best course of action to renew? Should I get Genie and get rid of the receivers I have?

All depends on what kind of customer you've been and how much you're willing to spend. Have you called to see what options are available?

#4 OFFLINE   carillon

carillon

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

Thanks for the replies... I've only been with DirecTV 2 years so that's my only track record. I have not called as of yet, but will.

We currently regularly use the HD/DVR and the HD receivers. The SD receivers sit idle 95% of the time. I suppose ideally I'd like to get the benefits and features of Genie. I could see locating the Genie in the Family Room while providing HD live and recorded viewing in the Bedroom. And Finally, have one receiver able to float around to various locations within the house depending on sporadic needs.

This would get me into the latest technology while cutting my receivers in half. Thoughts?
SlimLine-5 SWM-8-LNB Dish (HD Service / WHDVR)
HR34-700 Genie / Sharp 52LE700UN HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA
C31 Genie RVU Client / Dynex HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA
HR24-500 / Panasonic TC-P54S2 / HDMI / Networked - DECA
H24-700 / Toshiba SDTV / Networked - DECA

#5 OFFLINE   edro

edro

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

What are the benefits of Genie? (other than only needing 1 DVR for whole house)

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,497 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

The short list of things I like:

5 tuners, 100 series links, 1Tb hard drive (should have been 2), very large external drive support, PiP

Protected By... spam firewall...And...