Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Cheers Ruling on AutoHop, PrimeTime Anytime

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   rocat1997

rocat1997

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

Quality of programming. Interesting subject. Quality is quite low. Most channels run movies from many years ago. Plus they run them over and over and over. Quality is at its lowest. We pay for tons of commercials and old programming we've seen a dozen times. I read an article a couple of months ago that cable will be at $200 a month by the year 2020. Satellites not far behind. i believe this as we are heading their already. I don't have every channel and am already at $130. I used to pay $50 for dish. Granted I didn't have a dvr at the time, but, don't feel that it's worth $80 a month. Plus more commercials and reruns.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,598 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

That begs the obvious question... if you think current tv is overpriced and only shows old stuff that you don't want to watch... then why would you be subscribing now?

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#43 OFFLINE   rocat1997

rocat1997

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

Good question. I do pay a big price to not watch it. I primarily watch hgtv, DIY, and our locals. Also, some hbo. My wife only watches encore westerns. she likes old stuff. Truthfully, it is too expensive.

#44 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,598 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:07 AM

I hope I didn't seem like a smart-you-know for asking... but it was logical.

I too don't like the price-creeping that keeps going upwards slowly but surely... but for the moment am still happy with the value I get for the price I pay.

One day that might change, though, and I'll be asking myself that very "is it worth it" question.

#45 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,203 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:11 AM

If it wasn't for the DVR, I doubt I'd have a subscription these days.

When I was growing up, it was 6 minutes of commercials per hour. Now it's almost 20.

I can count the number of 'live' (non-sports) programs that I've watched in the past year on one hand. When my wife and I were watching a show live, she commented on how jarring it was to be FORCED to watch commercials, as opposed to seeing one flip by and MAYBE being interested enough to go back and watch it.

I've watched MAYBE two or three sports programs live and I end up putting them on pause and going to do something else, then returning when I can skip the 'dead time'.

#46 OFFLINE   Wilf

Wilf

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:34 AM

When I was growing up, it was 6 minutes of commercials per hour. Now it's almost 20.

That is one of reasons it was called the "Golden Age of Television." Television was B&W, and screens were small, but the programs were not fragmented like they are now. Even many of the commercials were entertaining.

#47 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,221 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

That is one of reasons it was called the "Golden Age of Television." Television was B&W, and screens were small, but the programs were not fragmented like they are now. Even many of the commercials were entertaining.

It was golden because it was live, it was novel, and all commercials were "new".

You could barely see the football, much less a tennis ball or hockey puck.

And, yes, there was much to be like about TV in the 50's, but I think there's much to be liked today. Esp. with a good DVR.....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#48 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 857 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

Hopper or not ... I'm going to avoid commercials. It is inevitable. And I am not alone.

You certainly aren't alone. I also have a use for the standard 30 second skip.
If I want to watch a football game that isn't important enough for me to watch live, I record it and use the 30 second skip at the end of each play which brings me to the start of the next play. Almost perfect. I can watch a game in one hour instead of the 3 1/2 hours live.

I also installed a HDHOMERUN (thanks to your suggestion JL) and have another way to record and watch events on my PCs.

My next step, now that the OTA dongle for the H/J systems has arrived, I can get serious about getting upgraded from my VIPs. Cabling nightmares ahead untangling the mess I have now.:grin:

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#49 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

Television viewing without a DVR has become an almost intolerable exercise. The continuity is so jarring with the long, frequent commercial breaks. Not to mention that roughly one third of the viewing time is not even the program itself. It almost feels like theft of my time and attention.

I don't watch much sports, but even then, I prefer to get well behind live TV and zip through downtime and commercials and catch up before the game ends. A football game is one hour on the game clock, yet its broadcast regularly exceeds three, though obviously part of that is the nature of the game with normal clock stoppages. Grandude is quite right about the convenience of 30-sec. skip being almost perfect between plays.

Someday, the lawyers and networks and providers will all conspire to disable our precious fast forward buttons. I've been a DVR user since 2003, and it'll be like having my eyeballs propped open in Clockwork Orange. Please pass the eye drops.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#50 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,221 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:30 AM

I'll bet you 30:1 that FF will survive any nonsense.

And the actual play time of a FB game is under 15 minutes.... that is, leaving out the time between whistling a dead ball and the next snap.

#51 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,598 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:07 PM

I'll bet you 30:1 that FF will survive any nonsense.

And the actual play time of a FB game is under 15 minutes.... that is, leaving out the time between whistling a dead ball and the next snap.

You mean under 15 minutes PER QUARTER, I assume... Each quarter has a timed 15 minutes of play time...

So the minimum length of any football game is 60 minutes if you skip all the commercials, halftime, and other game stoppage times.

#52 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

You mean under 15 minutes PER QUARTER, I assume... Each quarter has a timed 15 minutes of play time...

So the minimum length of any football game is 60 minutes if you skip all the commercials, halftime, and other game stoppage times.

You're not considering all the time after plays where the clock runs but nothing is happening. It is not a big challenge to burn off a recorded game in 30-40 minutes with aggressive DVR play.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#53 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,598 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

You're not considering all the time after plays where the clock runs but nothing is happening. It is not a big challenge to burn off a recorded game in 30-40 minutes with aggressive DVR play.

But that is still game time. If we're going to start quibbling over time spent doing nothing with the clock running, then you'd probably also skip over plays that don't gain yardage... and ultimately don't we all really only care about big-gain plays and scoring plays?

So... you could watch a highlights package in under 5 minutes for most games and get all the best/productive/scoring plays.

#54 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,758 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

BIG-10 and PAC-12 each run a show called Football in 60 where they do the editing for you.

bein Sports has a show called 90 in 30 ... but that form of football is much more compressible. :D

#55 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,221 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

Indeed that's what I meant. While studies have timed actual play time as closer to 12.5 minutes on average, watching a complete game in a half hour isn't hard. And that's every snap, every run, pass, fumble, field goal, etc.
Purists may shudder at the thought of missing all the brilliant commentary during dead ball time.

#56 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

I am not a big sports guy, but there are a couple of local college football rivalries I'll burn through. I try not to skip more than a few actual plays, though.

#57 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,414 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:00 AM

Fox is back in court. The Hollywood Reporter indicated today:

Fox Television is again making an attempt to shut down Dish Network's advertising-skipping DVR services.

The network is filing an amended lawsuit and a new injunction motion in a California federal court over Dish's Hopper with Sling, also known as "Dish Anywhere," which was introduced at CES in January.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out at the Supreme Court level.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#58 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:11 AM

The networks have lost viewership. NBC was actually the fifth watched network in the latest ratings, that has never happend to one of the big four. And the most watched shows on the the networks are all down, even if still doing well. You would think they would want their programming seen easily, not at a specific time or that you have to be in your living room.

The networks fear is tied to ratings. If you watch at another time other than the original airing, credit isn't always being given for those viewers, thus advertising revenue goes down. Nielson is looking into capturing some of those viewers.

It's worth mentioning, the Four major networks are supposed to be FREE. Again, FREE. For that they get the airwaves that TNT or USA etc do not get. And the advent of Satellite has done nothing but help them get their signal to people who otherwise might not get it. Yet they put up roadblocks to everything.

#59 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,758 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

The networks have lost viewership. NBC was actually the fifth watched network in the latest ratings, that has never happend to one of the big four.

So which non-broadcast network beat NBC?

And isn't there another thread (in the TV forum) that is predicting the death of all broadcast because of the woes of one network?

#60 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,414 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

I'm not predicting the death of all broadcast. It looks to me like Univision is doing well. I do think the 1958 broadcast channel economic model is on life support - meaning we're all being taxed by Congressional mandate to fund a nationwide bunch of failing local broadcast channels.

That's irrelevant to this thread though, and we have a new thread Fox is attacking the Hopper, Sling Adapter and Dish Anywhere now that picks up where this one left off.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

Protected By... spam firewall...And...