Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

**I need help**300 feet cable run using a Directv SWM STSTEM, or?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:35 PM

Job completed! Both RG11 cables has been laid. I now need help with PI-29, SWMA2T and my DirecTV 4-Way SWiM Green Label Splitter. Do i connect the RG11 cable first too the SWMA2T amplifier?

http://www.solidsign..._source=k244266

"I would" go: RG11 -> 29v PI -> amp -> splitter
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#62 OFFLINE   direcdt

direcdt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

Thanks! I will try in the next 3 minutes! Ill report back..

Attached Thumbnails

• photo 2(2).JPG

Edited by direcdt, 19 November 2012 - 05:50 PM.

#63 OFFLINE   direcdt

direcdt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

Well! I did the set-up.. Looks like the SWMA2T didn't do much but drop the signal..
Here you you the dish TEST without the SWMA2T.. Right now i am using the PI-29 with DirecTV 4-Way SWiM green label splitter

Ill hook up the SWMA2T/4-Way SWiM Green Label Splitter/PI-29....again and do a signal test..

Attached Thumbnails

• photo 1(4).JPG
  • photo 2(3).JPG
  • photo 3(4).JPG
  • photo 4 (3).JPG

#64 OFFLINE   direcdt

direcdt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

All 3 running together as we speak..
WMA2T/4-Way SWiM Green Label Splitter/PI-29..

Attached Thumbnails

• photo 1(2).JPG
  • photo 2(1).JPG
  • photo 3(2).JPG
  • photo 4.JPG

#65 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

This first thing [which doesn't have anything to do with this BTW] that catches my eye is the old blue GUI. I haven't seen it in a year.
What receiver do these come from?

The next thing is where you have the PI connected to the splitter. I checked the spec sheet for the amp and it is rated for 1.5 amps, but it just doesn't [to me] seem like a good idea to have 29 volts running through the amp, which is why I suggested having the PI before the amp.

What really doesn't look good are the SWM channels with the amp.
These tend to be a better sign of the loss/gain between the dish and the receiver since these are the signals between 970-1800 MHz.

When you ran these tests, did you have all the unused splitter ports terminated?
A.K.A VOS

#66 OFFLINE   direcdt

direcdt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

Post #63 signal strength test was tested with 4-Way SWiM green label splitter and PI-29 only!

Post #64 signal strength test was tested with WMA2T/4-Way SWiM green label splitter/ and PI-29

At the moment the AMP is not in use, I just have the PI 29 and 4-Way SWiM green label splitter running right now!

No terminals on open ports when testing the SWIM system..

EDIT: Funny! Today i had a 20" LED tv on the roof next to the dish with a 4 foot cable from LNB to PI-29 then a 3 FOOT cable from PI IRD output to my D12 receiver.. When doing a transponder test on the D12 satellite "SWM" I received the same results as the picture below. Could this be a LNB going bad?

Here is a diagram with a SWIM system i am running right now (NO AMP). The only thing different is that i have 4Way splitter. Could be i have the ports wrong? "old blue GUI"-------> Are D-12's receivers..

This first thing [which doesn't have anything to do with this BTW] that catches my eye is the old blue GUI. I haven't seen it in a year.
What receiver do these come from?

The next thing is where you have the PI connected to the splitter. I checked the spec sheet for the amp and it is rated for 1.5 amps, but it just doesn't [to me] seem like a good idea to have 29 volts running through the amp, which is why I suggested having the PI before the amp.

What really doesn't look good are the SWM channels with the amp.
These tend to be a better sign of the loss/gain between the dish and the receiver since these are the signals between 970-1800 MHz.

When you ran these tests, did you have all the unused splitter ports terminated?

Attached Thumbnails

• set up.jpg

Edited by direcdt, 20 November 2012 - 11:26 PM.

#67 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

I don't see a picture below, but do see your layout which is fine/normal.

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1353468433

This difference here between the top lines and the bottom shows a significant change in either power or noise as all of these numbers come from the signal to noise ratio.

When you had the amp inline, did it have the LED lit?

Attached Thumbnails

• photo 4 (3).JPG

Edited by veryoldschool, 20 November 2012 - 09:29 PM.

A.K.A VOS

#68 OFFLINE   direcdt

direcdt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:48 PM

Yes.. I see the difference on layout!

LED light was lit "GREEN"

Last night i had the RG11 cable from dish straight connect to PI-29 "POWER TO SWM output" then a jumper from PI-29 "SIGNAL FROM IRD output" "TO RECEIVER output" on the SWMA2 output AMP" then a jumper "TO SWIM" output to "4-Way SWiM green label splitter input"

Does that sound right?

I don't see a picture below, but do see your layout which is fine/normal.

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1353468433

This difference here between the top lines and the bottom shows a significant change in either power or noise as all of these numbers come from the signal to noise ratio.

When you had the amp inline, did it have the LED lit?

#69 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:07 AM

Yes.. I see the difference on layout!

LED light was lit "GREEN"

Last night i had the RG11 cable from dish straight connect to PI-29 "POWER TO SWM output" then a jumper from PI-29 "SIGNAL FROM IRD output" "TO RECEIVER output" on the SWMA2 output AMP" then a jumper "TO SWIM" output to "4-Way SWiM green label splitter input"

Does that sound right?

Nope, it sounds like you had the amp in backwards.

When you look at the amp, with the LED above the green label, and the DC power coax connector at the top, the INPUT is on the LEFT, so the RIGHT connector should go to the splitter input.

----->>>> Posted Image ------>>>> Splitter

Edited by veryoldschool, 21 November 2012 - 12:12 AM.

A.K.A VOS

#70 OFFLINE   direcdt

direcdt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:41 PM

Cut the "J" pipe and added reinforcement using "strong ties" purchased from home depot.. Weird! I called solidsignal on Wednesday. I asked the TECH on site about the "Sonora SWMA2-T amp" I was asked where do i have the amp located? I told them "in my apartment" I was told that the SWMA2-T amp belongs at the start of the dish not in the apartment? Is this true, or was the TECH giving me wrong advice?

Attached Thumbnails

• photo(9).JPG
  • photo(8).JPG

#71 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:14 AM

Cut the "J" pipe and added reinforcement using "strong ties" purchased from home depot.. Weird! I called solidsignal on Wednesday. I asked the TECH on site about the "Sonora SWMA2-T amp" I was asked where do i have the amp located? I told them "in my apartment" I was told that the SWMA2-T amp belongs at the start of the dish not in the apartment? Is this true, or was the TECH giving me wrong advice?

It doesn't "belong" at the dish, but can be used close to the SWiM, so that may have been what he was thinking.

The amp has 13-14 dB of gain, so it will add this close to the SWiM, or in your case with 11-16 dB of loss.

Did you get better numbers by reversing the amp?

SWiM Output amplifier with integrated MoCA return-band diplexer
• Provides 14 dB of gain which of sets an additional 150ft of RG-6 or 250 feet of RG-11 cable runs
• Passes 2 to 806 MHz signals for SWM & DECA/MoCA communication

Specifications ......................... Typical ................... QC Limit
Gain
2 to 806 MHz ............................ -1 dB .......................-4 dB
940 to 1450 MHz ........................12 dB ...................... 11 dB
1450 to 2150 MHz ......................15 dB .......................14 dB
Maximum Output (32 equal transponders) .......................-1 dBm

Edited by veryoldschool, 24 November 2012 - 12:35 AM.

A.K.A VOS

#72 OFFLINE   direcdt

direcdt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

Here we go!

I have (1) D-12receiver going to -----> "TO SWIM PORT" at the Sonora SWMA2-T AMP..

A jumper from Sonora SWMA2-T "receive output" to----> "IN FROM SWIM" 4 WAY SPLITTER"

DIRECTV 4 WAY SPLITTER" "OUTPUT(1) GOES TO-----> PI-29 "SIGNAL TO IRD PORT"

AND PI-29 "POWER TO SWIM OUTPUT------> to DISH at the roof.

Does this sound right?
Looks to me while cutting the J pipe and reinstalling the dish again, signal dropped dramatically. Even while TESTING with a 4 foot cable and TV on the roof.. Maybe the dish is to low near the ground?

Attached Thumbnails

• photo(2).JPG
  • photo(3).JPG
  • photo(4).JPG
  • photo(5).JPG

#73 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

Here we go!

I have (1) D-12receiver going to -----> "TO SWIM PORT" at the Sonora SWMA2-T AMP..

A jumper from Sonora SWMA2-T "receive output" to----> "IN FROM SWIM" 4 WAY SPLITTER"

DIRECTV 4 WAY SPLITTER" "OUTPUT(1) GOES TO-----> PI-29 "SIGNAL TO IRD PORT"

AND PI-29 "POWER TO SWIM OUTPUT------> to DISH at the roof.

Does this sound right?
Looks to me while cutting the J pipe and reinstalling the dish again, signal dropped dramatically. Even while TESTING with a 4 foot cable and TV on the roof.. Maybe the dish is to low near the ground?

Dish/LNB ---> To SWM [PI] to IRD --> To SWM port [SWM2A-T] receiver output --> In from SWM [splitter] --> receivers.

This would be how I'd do it as there is no need to send 29 volts through the Sonora amp.

The best [only] way to align the dish well is to fine tune the signals from the 99 & 103 SATs as these are the narrowest beams. Getting these right means the 101/110/119 should be great too.

Your SWM numbers look much better.
A.K.A VOS

#74 OFFLINE   direcdt

direcdt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:31 PM

Looks like i hit the spot after following your instructions carefully.. :)

My neighbor from downstairs has the DIRECTV Installer arriving in the next 30 minutes. He/she should be happy the 250+ RG11 cable has been laid out. May be ill ask the TECH to fine tune my dish!

EDIT -----> on photo ("2")

Dish/LNB ---> To SWM [PI] to IRD --> To SWM port [SWM2A-T] receiver output --> In from SWM [splitter] --> receivers.

This would be how I'd do it as there is no need to send 29 volts through the Sonora amp.

The best [only] way to align the dish well is to fine tune the signals from the 99 & 103 SATs as these are the narrowest beams. Getting these right means the 101/110/119 should be great too.

Your SWM numbers look much better.

Attached Thumbnails

• photo(3).JPG
  • photo(4).JPG
  • photo(5).JPG
  • photo(2).JPG

Edited by direcdt, 24 November 2012 - 03:58 PM.

#75 OFFLINE   direcdt

direcdt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

Here you have the SWIM setup! How does the connections look "veryoldschool" ?

Thank you..

Attached Thumbnails

• photo(10).JPG

Edited by direcdt, 26 November 2012 - 11:19 PM.

#76 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:21 PM

Here you have the SWIM setup! How does the connections look "veryoldschool" ?

Thank you..

Looks clean. The "SWiM" is in the dish, so you have the SWiM PI going to the Sonora amp, and then to the 4-way splitter.
With the RG11 and the amp, you "basically" have the dish [power levels] right there.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...