Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR-24 HDD Upgrade 2012 Edition

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TKurata

TKurata

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

I am looking to upgrade the hard drive in my HR-24 to a 2TB drive. I have a few questions.

I am looking at this HDD from Amazon:

Western Digital WD20EURS
(not allowed to post URLS yet sorry)

And this "enclosure" for external use:

Thermaltake BlacX eSATA USB Docking Station

Is it possible to easily copy the data from my current drive to the new drive? (For use in the same HR-24)

Is it worth it to go internal over external?

Thank you! I started this thread because all the old threads on here were getting pretty...well...old. I got a lot of good info here, ( http // www . dbstalk .com/showthread.php?t=184664 ) but wanted to see if the new WD was a good choice.

Was originally going to go to weaKnees and get their upgrade & copy service, but I'm fairly competent with tech and this would be a lot cheaper to do this myself.

Please let me know what you think, and what your current recommendations for the hardware would be...thank you!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

:welcome_s to DBSTalk!

I'll let someone else that uses eSATA setups answer your questions about the hard drive and the dock.

As for moving the information to the external drive, you would need to pull the current drive out of the HR24, image it to the new drive, and then put the drive back. In the Tips and Resources forum here there are instructions for copying the drive.

Using an external drive over replacing the internal does have a few advantages. The biggest is that if the drive fails, you just replace the drive in the dock as opposed to opening the DVR back up. Also, there is the issue of your Terms of Service, which I'll discuss in a moment.

Replacing the internal drive has the advantage that you don't have another device taking up space on a shelf and you have one less power source.

I'll briefly put in the disclaimer though regarding opening the HR24. Most receivers are leased from DirecTV. As such, part of the lease agreement is that you will not modify or open the receivers. If you do open it and DirecTV finds out, they can hit you with a pretty hefty fee. It's up to you if you want to take that chance, but we cannot recommend it. If you actually own the HR24, you can do whatever you want with it. If you don't know if you own or lease it, you can call up DirecTV and ask a CSR and they should be able to tell you.

Basically, if you ordered the receiver from DirecTV as part of your original install, ordered it to add to your current install from DirecTV or a retailer, it is going to be a lease. There are only a few exceptions to how it would be owned.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   TKurata

TKurata

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

Thank you for the welcome, Merg!

Unfortunately my (2) HR-24s are under lease (I believe). I would have to go with External then I suppose.

If anyone can help out with my Hardware question it would be much appreciated!

Thanks for your very helpful response! Also thanks for the PM I received, I wasn't able to reply being a new member.

#4 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,713 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

Which HR24? Is it a 100, 200 or 500?

You can tell by looking at the sticker inside the access card door.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#5 OFFLINE   TKurata

TKurata

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

Good question, will find out ASAP...thank you.

#6 OFFLINE   TKurata

TKurata

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

My HR-24 is a 100.

Thank you!

#7 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

The EURS and the TT BlacX eSATA dock are one of the most popular and reliable combos.

spam firewall