Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DTV Receiver and Comcast Phone Line

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   majikmarker

majikmarker

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts
  • LocationArlington, WA

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

I am in the process of changing my phone and internet from Frontier to Comcast (Internet and Voice only).

My understanding is the phone jacks in my home will be dead when I cancel my current service. I like to have my receivers hooked up to a phone line even though this is no longer absolutely required.

Some details....My house is three levels with one TV/Box on the top and bottom, cable signal comes into the home only on one jack, located on the middle level (due to DTV installer moving lines under my home so jacks on top and bottom floor have the DTV signal). The modem and wireless router will be on the middle floor.

Is there a simple way to get a phone signal to the boxes on the top and bottom floor?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Dknow

Dknow

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

Ebay yourself some wireless phone jacks and there ya go!

#3 OFFLINE   northsider

northsider

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:47 AM

Ex Comcast tech and current Direct tech here.

Your phone jacks won't be dead as long as you ask the tech to wire into your home. Literally as long as he disconnects whatever current service you have at the NID and runs a phone line out of the EMTA to a jack then your whole house (if properly wired) will be wired to plug a phone line in any jack.

Just ask him the tech he shouldn't have a problem with it if there are jacks within close vicinity of the EMTA.

#4 OFFLINE   majikmarker

majikmarker

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts
  • LocationArlington, WA

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

Ex Comcast tech and current Direct tech here.

Your phone jacks won't be dead as long as you ask the tech to wire into your home. Literally as long as he disconnects whatever current service you have at the NID and runs a phone line out of the EMTA to a jack then your whole house (if properly wired) will be wired to plug a phone line in any jack.

Just ask him the tech he shouldn't have a problem with it if there are jacks within close vicinity of the EMTA.

Thanks for the replies. The wireless phone jacks are a great idea but my first choice would be to have the actual phone jacks active.

Currently, my cable internet comes in on the opposite side of the room from my phone jack. If I added a cable jack next to my phone jack (to avoid cables everywhere) do I understand that there is a way to connect the EMTA cable modem, phone and phone jack in such a way that the current phone jacks on other floors would be active? Do I have that correct? My home is relatively new (less than 6 years old) and I assume it is wired correctly...

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,052 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

Yes, you understand correctly. But make sure the inside phone wiring is disconnected from the line that goes to the street beyond the telephone company demarc.

Basically, all you do is plug your inside wiring into the phone line jack on your VOIP modem device. That should make every phone jack in your house live.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...