Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Debit Card vs. Credit Card Auto Pay Date

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 603 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

You said debit cards were not generally not covered for fraud. That is incorrect. There are specific rules, but they are covered.

It also depends on the banking institution. My credit union does the following:

1. Receive report about fraud.
2. Closes the old card; opens a new one.
3. Pick up new card at credit union and file fraud report. This also can be done over the phone (fraud report) and by mail (new card).
4. Money is restored to the account within 24 hours.

This happened to me once with my debit card. Not used anywhere at the time and the card was compromised. Had it happen three times on credit card, as well. In both cases, the credit union took care of the problem.

They shrugged their shoulders and said, until this country has chip implanted credit and debit cards, this problem will continue. They went on to say that fraud occur much more than people think.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

The reason for the change is that Debit cards impact people's available money instantly so they give customer's the ability to see their bill and ensure that all charges are correct. If there is something, say an non return fee, that was applied because they didn't send a receiver back it gives them time to get it corrected before it drafts out of their account.

While I am used to the very poor business practice of DirecTV taking the money from a credit card before the bill is available to view, and way before the bill is actually due, it doesn't change the fact that in my 69 years on this old ball of dirt, I've never seen a company do this other than DirecTV.

It is a very minor irritant, but it is an irritant.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#23 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,688 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

It also depends on the banking institution. My credit union does the following:

Yeah, and mine has a daily spend limit on transactions. Automated debits using checking don't count, but I've forgotten about it and tried to make a large purchase and get declined. After a moment of panic, I remember. Fortunately it's an easy and fast fix, at least if they're open or I remember and plan ahead. It's only hit me a few times but also reduces my risk. Though the daily limit is still enough that it wouldn't be painless.

#24 OFFLINE   ciurca

ciurca

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

The reason for the change is that Debit cards impact people's available money instantly so they give customer's the ability to see their bill and ensure that all charges are correct. If there is something, say an non return fee, that was applied because they didn't send a receiver back it gives them time to get it corrected before it drafts out of their account.

That's fine, but it was the debit card.
HR34
HR23
Slingbox Pro HD

Twitter -> @saltwater_rider
Facebook -> facebook.com/craig.ciurca

spam firewall