Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What is the required uplink bandwidth needed for a Sling box

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ratompkins

ratompkins

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:13 PM

I have 3 MB DSL from ATT, but the upload rate is only around 300KB. I get messages that I can't get HD and often can't get any signal at all.
What bandwidth is required for the Sling box.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

I have 3 MB DSL from ATT, but the upload rate is only around 300KB. I get messages that I can't get HD and often can't get any signal at all.
What bandwidth is required for the Sling box.

You can check the required speed by device by visiting http://www.mydish.co...slinging-device. Please let me know if this helps. Thanks!

#3 OFFLINE   ratompkins

ratompkins

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

Thanks for the info. Using a smartphone the required BW for standard definition is 250KB and high definition required 500KB. So basically you are not going to get high def and standard def is iffy. I gave up and unplugged my slingbox months ago since it rarely worked.

#4 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

I have 2 setups...one has 1 meg up and the other about 500kb.....the one meg blows the doors off the other....a friend that had 5meg is stunning!

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,730 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

I gave up and unplugged my slingbox months ago since it rarely worked.

It is important not to blame the Slingbox for your lack of bandwidth.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   ratompkins

ratompkins

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

I have limited experience with Broadband, so my question is what is the normal upload bandwidth. I have experience with ATT DSL and Windstream DSL and they both are 3MG download and approx 300KB upload. When I talked to them about the up load speed they both said 300 MB was standard.
Appreciate your input
Thanks
Bob

#7 OFFLINE   eddwall

eddwall

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:17 PM

6 meg DSL service at the house.

Really pleased with the sling adapter. I have two slings, one for each Hopper.

Able to get most attempts in HD.

Plan to upgrade my phone to Galaxy S 3 or a note for bigger screen & better viewing. And of course the 4G LTE can't hurt either.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...