Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Forced to Leave Dish

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,102 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

Well, after more than 12 years with Dish, I am being forced to leave. DSL through ATT is going from $20/month up to $40/month; so to keep the cost of TV & Internet below $100, it looks like I will be forced to get U-Verse.

Kind of messed-up: ATT is raising their prices for DSL, so I get to reward them by switching TV & Internet to them. What a horrible company - oh well, price is king.

I'll miss Dish - excellent customer service, great pricing, and a lot of excellent receivers over the years, including the 721 with keyboard (my favorite, I think). We'll see what happens in a year when my U-Verse contract runs out. :(

U-verse is BAD unless you're close to a VAR. I just pay $29.00 for Uverse. It's not DSL.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   winman97

winman97

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

My ATT DSL has not gone up a bit in 10 years, BUT beware ATT and their "I'll save you money with UVerse". The savings have been short lived and the hassel to change equipment is not worth it. ATT has the DSL Lite service for 14.95 - 19.95 per month. Not bad and much faster than the Hughesnet system. Before you cut off ATT ask about DSL Lite.

#23 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

DSL is eeeeevilllllllle (especially when it isn't offered naked). Unless there are no other options, DSL should be avoided. The only happy DSL customers I know are ones that may do just as well with dialup.

As bad as Cox may be, it is probably better (and possibly cheaper) than DSL.

I hate to agree with Harsh, but I do. DSL is one small step up from dial-up. 45 Mbps cable internet...please and thank you.
DTV = Digital Television

#24 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

I hate to agree with Harsh, but I do. DSL is one small step up from dial-up. 45 Mbps cable internet...please and thank you.

$114.95 per month in my area (Xfinity) ... no, thank you.
(U-Verse not available.)

The bundling aspect where it is cheaper to get the HSI along with TV than HSI alone is what annoys me the most. I would rather pay a satellite provider for TV.

#25 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 590 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:36 AM

I have 3Mbps DSL and for casual browsing, it's hard to see a big difference with 20Mbps cable. Streaming video and downloads are where it hurts the most... I can view 720p on YouTube, but 1080 buffers like crazy. I much prefer my DSL to the local cable company and their reputation for reliability.

That said, the local phone company has run the fiber for 100Mbps to my house, and I'm just waiting for hookup.

#26 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:36 AM

You and Harsh need to get out more! :)

DSL in many areas today is a very viable competitor to cable modems. Our local DSL provider is offering 6Mb and higher speeds at competitive prices. In fact, they are offering speeds faster than our local cable company.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#27 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:41 AM

DSL in many areas today is a very viable competitor to cable modems. Our local DSL provider is offering 6Mb and higher speeds at competitive prices. In fact, they are offering speeds faster than our local cable company.

Sure, if you're happy with slow speeds.
DTV = Digital Television

#28 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,739 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

But DSL also is distance sensitive. Cable speed is more dependent on the cable company, and how many are on it. For me though, neither DSL or cable will ever be a viable option. I've been spoiled.

#29 OFFLINE   Tiny

Tiny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:04 AM

Ive got AT200 Dish net. economy comcast internet, vonage basic $114 a month. I had ATT phone with DSL bundle long time ago and DSL would not to realible :nono2:every time it rained and lighting my DSL connection would fail a common problem with DSL and the 2-wire ATT hook up.

#30 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

I'm on 6Mb DSL which will do 2 streams of HD video just fine, and for all other things it is much more than fast enough.

What are you doing often enough that paying for a faster speed is necessary?

For info, I was on cable @12Mb which was just slightly slower than their fastest offering of 15Mb. When I switched because they decided to change my pricing by a huge amount, I never noticed the speed difference in anything I was doing.

Frontier has 6Mb, 12Mb and 25Mb available depending on location. Prices range from $40-60/month.

Lloyd

#31 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:09 AM

Ive got AT200 Dish net. economy comcast internet, vonage basic $114 a month. I had ATT phone with DSL bundle long time ago and DSL would not to realible :nono2:every time it rained and lighting my DSL connection would fail a common problem with DSL and the 2-wire ATT hook up.

That is a local problem. I had more outages with cable modem than I've ever had with DSL.

Lloyd

#32 OFFLINE   Tiny

Tiny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

well friend if u want to google rain and lighting outages with ATT DSL service ,u will see its far more than a Local problem both services will have outages just like my satellite right at this moment is out cause it raining like cats and dogs is this a local problem to?

#33 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

well friend if u want to google rain and lighting outages with ATT DSL service ,u will see its far more than a Local problem both services will have outages just like my satellite right at this moment is out cause it raining like cats and dogs is this a local problem to?

Yes, that is a local problem. I'm watching my satellite service right now as it is not raining locally here. :)

Lloyd

#34 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

You seem to be obsessed with speed....it doesnt help gaming, gaming is more about quality, unless you live in a house full of constant downloaders, noone needs 45M download speeds.

#35 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

You seem to be obsessed with speed....it doesnt help gaming, gaming is more about quality, unless you live in a house full of constant downloaders, noone needs 45M download speeds.

Gaming? I'm not a child.

I move terabytes of data to and from a cloud structure and around my own home with many connected devices and applications.
DTV = Digital Television

#36 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

I've got many connected devices and applications myself and don't move 'terabytes of data', what kind of data are you shuffling around?

Lloyd

#37 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

I've got many connected devices and applications myself and don't move 'terabytes of data', what kind of data are you shuffling around?

Video mostly. BD ISO. A fair amount of audio as well.
DTV = Digital Television

#38 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

And you're keeping a lot of that in a cloud? Seems terribly inefficient.

Here I do streaming on 1 device quite a bit and on another very sporadically and haven't had an issue with my 6Mb DSL service. But I don't archive many videos as there are so few I find good enough to want to view more than a couple times.

The only time I actually notice the speed is for a software download that I do manually. The automagic ones all happen without me noticing them.

Lloyd

#39 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

Gaming? I'm not a child.

I move terabytes of data to and from a cloud structure and around my own home with many connected devices and applications.

What kind of up speed do you get? Moving it to the cloud would be ridiculously slow at most companies upload rates unless they are giving you 45up as well.

I move terabytes of data around my home as well, but none to a cloud, so my internet speed has nothing to do with my home network speed, which is all 1000M. Since most BD iso's of movies would be illegal, if I used them, I certainly wouldnt be moving them to a cloud. Unless you run your own non-copyrighted HD video business.

#40 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

What kind of up speed do you get? Moving it to the cloud would be ridiculously slow at most companies upload rates unless they are giving you 45up as well.

I move terabytes of data around my home as well, but none to a cloud, so my internet speed has nothing to do with my home network speed, which is all 1000M. Since most BD iso's of movies would be illegal, if I used them, I certainly wouldnt be moving them to a cloud. Unless you run your own non-copyrighted HD video business.

...BD ISO's are not illegal.
DTV = Digital Television

spam firewall