Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Snow bird information

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jamelar

jamelar

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

This will be my first time wintering over in Florida, leaving Michigan the end of the month. It will be in an RV/Motorhome in an RV park. I will be bringing the receiver and a spare dish / mount with me.

What exactly do I need to do to get my account "flagged" for a seasonal location. Can this be done before leaving or best upon arrival.

And I definitely DO NOT need an installer to setup / aim the dish.

TIA

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

Rules changing all the time - call them and ask first, then post here ...

#3 OFFLINE   RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

This will be my first time wintering over in Florida, leaving Michigan the end of the month. It will be in an RV/Motorhome in an RV park. I will be bringing the receiver and a spare dish / mount with me.

What exactly do I need to do to get my account "flagged" for a seasonal location. Can this be done before leaving or best upon arrival.

TIA

I can set this up for you when you arrive to your destination for the winter. Just sent me a PM with your phone or account number and I'll walk you through the process!

#4 OFFLINE   EdJ

EdJ

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

TIA

If you do not have 'local' networks, you do not have to do anything.

If you have locals and they are on a spot beam, you have to call and change your 'Service Address'; give them the mailing address of your Campground. This will enable the locals for the location you are in. Have the DISH receiver turned on when you call so when they update the locals for the new Service Address, the dish receiver will get the new subscription data. Your 'Billing Address' remains the same.

When you head back home, just call up and change the Service Address back to your home address.

Have fun on your Snowbird trip.... We head to FL after Xmas for 4 months.

#5 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

here they come

#6 OFFLINE   EdJ

EdJ

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

here they come

Yep.... You finally get rid of the politicians on every corner and here come the Snowbirds again.... :lol:

#7 OFFLINE   jamelar

jamelar

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

I can set this up for you when you arrive to your destination for the winter. Just sent me a PM with your phone or account number and I'll walk you through the process!

Thank you. Reply much appreciated. Will send PM when I arrive

If you do not have 'local' networks, you do not have to do anything.
If you have locals and they are on a spot beam, you have to call and change your 'Service Address';

Yes I get locals, spot beam. I also have an outdoor antenna at home and the RV. FWIW, some camping I've done during the summer is still within the spot beam. Handy as I still get my locals although I'm in a different DMA. :)

here they come

Yep! And what is Florida's #1 industry? A. Tourism

#8 OFFLINE   jamelar

jamelar

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

Update.
I arrived in Fort Myers about a week ago.
I set the dish up and was receiving everything I subscribe to except of course the locals.
However, I was having problems getting the internet to work with the RV park's WIFI. Turned out to be a hardware problem on my part which I resolved with-in a couple days.

Anyway, since I couldn't PM DIRT member RaymondG, I called the the 800 number to connect to a CSR. I told the CSR I'm at my temporary winter address. He entered the new address and told me in a few minutes I would see the changes. Never was a technician truck roll or anything required.

A few minutes later, the Fort Myers locals were on.

--------

In the FWIW department, here are a some observations I'll share.

When I initially got the dish set up, the guide information for my home (Grand Rapids) locals showed up. Obviously, the locals guide information is not dependent on receiving the spot beam. Of course, I tried selecting my home locals and as expected had no signal. If by some crazy quirk I was receiving my home locals, I would have left well enough alone as I get all the Fort Myers locals anyway from the RV antenna. I have the MU-1 off air module option in my VIP722K receiver.

After the switch, at first, the local Fort Myers network stations showed the Grand Rapids information. In other words, the Fort Myers NBC station showed the Grand Rapids NBC information and local programs, same for ABC, CBS, etc. By the next day, everything corrected itself as I expected it would.

Overall, I'm completely satisfied at how smoothly the switch went.

#9 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

The next time you change address, wait for the correct local channels show in the guide, run a check switch and force a new guide download instead of waiting for the overnight update.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...