Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Problem with HR34 and C31

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Strog

Strog

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

I had these installed two weeks ago. Every couple of days, the C31 lose connection. Reseting it does not do anything, I have to reset the server and in the process lose recordings in progress. After reset it works for a couple of days and then does it again.
I am getting ready to call the technical support but I would like to know if other people experienced this and how did they fix it.

Thank you.

I have 3 C31 clients. Had exact same issue with one of them. We even replaced the C31 client. Issue went away once I connected to the TV using component\special cable. It turns out the C31 and the Westinghouse LCD for some reason didn't like each other when using HDMI. The other TVs work fine with HDMI connection.
  • ruby1025 likes this

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   c6duffman

c6duffman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

For the record, I have this problem with my C31 too. It happens about once a week. It's happened ever since I got my HR34 about a month ago. The only way to fix it is reboot the HR34.

Like others, I can see the grid and work the menus, but there's no video, even from recorded shows. I think the background is the border bar color preference. In my case, it's set to black.

I use wireless with a AP bridge located at my HR34. The only other device on the network is one PC. No torrenting, etc. It's been like that for years and worked fine for my older 20 and 21.

Here's a pic.

Posted Image

#23 OFFLINE   c6duffman

c6duffman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

I have 3 C31 clients. Had exact same issue with one of them. We even replaced the C31 client. Issue went away once I connected to the TV using component\special cable. It turns out the C31 and the Westinghouse LCD for some reason didn't like each other when using HDMI. The other TVs work fine with HDMI connection.

What kind of cable did you use? An HDMI to component? I think it might be an HDMI handshake issue too. The issue happened more often at first. But then I turned off the some of the ratio detection settings on my Toshiba. It happens less, but still happens.

#24 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

Like others, I can see the grid and work the menus, but there's no video, even from recorded shows. I think the background is the border bar color preference. In my case, it's set to black.

Good call about the color preference. I never thought of that. Yes, mine is set to dark grey and indeed I have a grey background when my C31 locks up like this.

EDIT: Yes indeed. I changed my border bar to black and had a black background exactly like you pictured when my C31 locks up.

Edited by Drinyth, 12 November 2012 - 05:38 PM.

#25 OFFLINE   Strog

Strog

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

What kind of cable did you use? An HDMI to component? I think it might be an HDMI handshake issue too. The issue happened more often at first. But then I turned off the some of the ratio detection settings on my Toshiba. It happens less, but still happens.

This is what he gave me: http://www.solidsign...C31-(H2510PIN)-
  • ruby1025 likes this

#26 OFFLINE   c6duffman

c6duffman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

This is what he gave me:

Ah, I thought that port was S-Video. Can it display 1080i and 1080p?

#27 OFFLINE   Strog

Strog

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

Ah, I thought that port was S-Video. Can it display 1080i and 1080p?

Doing 1080i right now.

#28 OFFLINE   dserban

dserban

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

Bummer to hear that they still grey screen despite leaving them on. There goes that idea...

Do you remember what tests that you ran to show the networking error?

System info test.

#29 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

I tend to agree with you. The question was if there was/is anything on the network that might cause the 34 to have problems.
Do you know your router's settings very well?
There are some reports that this could be a uPNP issue and you might try turning it off in your router's setting.

My router doesn't support uPNP, so I can't turn it off, but then I don't have the problem either. :shrug:

Alright. I've disabled uPNP on my router. I'll post back if/when the grey screen issue comes back and uPNP is off.

It's been a little over a day or so since I disabled uPNP on my router and I will say that I'm cautiously optimistic at this point! Both C31 clients are still working as normal. They also startup significantly more quickly. Previously, it would take between 20-30 seconds when I turned the C31 on until it would start displaying video (when it did work, that is). Now, that's down to 5-10 seconds.

I'm hoping those two things are related and that the C31 was taking so long before because it was waiting to get some kind of uPNP response from the router. Now that it's disabled, it doesn't need to wait for any kind of timeout?

In any case, I'll report back if it does freeze up again or in a few days if all is still normal.

#30 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:15 AM

It's been a little over a day or so since I disabled uPNP on my router and I will say that I'm cautiously optimistic at this point! Both C31 clients are still working as normal. They also startup significantly more quickly. Previously, it would take between 20-30 seconds when I turned the C31 on until it would start displaying video (when it did work, that is). Now, that's down to 5-10 seconds.

I'm hoping those two things are related and that the C31 was taking so long before because it was waiting to get some kind of uPNP response from the router. Now that it's disabled, it doesn't need to wait for any kind of timeout?

In any case, I'll report back if it does freeze up again or in a few days if all is still normal.

Nevermind. False alarm. Turned it on this morning and it's locked up again like usual.

#31 OFFLINE   keebler21

keebler21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 81 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

Hmm - the TV I'm mainly having this issue with is also a Westinghouse. But I don't currently have the special cable needed to hook it up via component.

#32 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

I tend to agree with you. The question was if there was/is anything on the network that might cause the 34 to have problems.
Do you know your router's settings very well?
There are some reports that this could be a uPNP issue and you might try turning it off in your router's setting.

My router doesn't support uPNP, so I can't turn it off, but then I don't have the problem either. :shrug:

Well, I'm running out of ideas of what I can do on the network side to mitigate the problem. I updated the firmware on my router and tried adjusting numerous settings (disabled uPNP, disabled QoS, etc.). Nothing really seems to help. My C31 will work for a day or so after a HR34 reset, but always ends up crapping out less than two days later.

Do you have your HR34 connected directly via ethernet? If you run a system test on your machine, does it report back a network error of any kind? I'm at a complete loss of where to go from here...

#33 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

Do you have your HR34 connected directly via ethernet? If you run a system test on your machine, does it report back a network error of any kind? I'm at a complete loss of where to go from here...

I'm using a CCK to connect to my home network.
When I run a system test, it reports a network problem which comes from me turning off my C31.
A.K.A VOS

#34 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

I'm using a CCK to connect to my home network.

Hmmm. I'm connecting my HR34 directly to the Internet via an ethernet cable. I'm not sure if that is an issue or not? If anyone else is still reading this thread and is having this problem, can you please report back to how your HR34 is connected to the Internet?

I can ping all the local IPs of the DirecTV devices (the HR34 and the two C31 devices). Obviously, I can't check to see if the 169.x.x.x addresses can talk to each other. I came across this URL:

http://support.direc...C9Ec2lONDdibA==

Which says that you can't connect a HD DVR directly via ethernet if you have whole-home DVR service. But I wonder if that's written for older DVR systems? I would have thought that if I required a CCK type of device, that they installer would have known about that requirement?

When I run a system test, it reports a network problem which comes from me turning off my C31.

If you get a chance, I'm curious when your C31 units are on if it also reports a network problem or not? Thus far, my HR34 ALWAYS reports a network problem even when the C31 units are on and functioning properly. I haven't tested yet to see if it'll give me a different error code now that the C31 devices are hung mostly because I don't want to stop my recordings that are in process.

I appreciate the help thus far!

#35 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

DIRECTV's policy is that connecting DVRs via ethernet is unsupported. The HR34 is different from other DVRs because it bridges the connections so you can use it as a cinema connection kit but that is, as I said, unsupported.

If you have C31 clients you will always get dropped connection errors; an error is generated any time you turn the C31 off. This is known, and at some time in the future it will be addressed.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#36 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

I appreciate the help thus far!

The network errors are collective, so it don't matter if the C31 is on or off. If you turn it off, as I do, the HR34 counts this as a dropped session.

While I don't use ethernet to my HR34, I know many that do, and this problem doesn't seem to be related.

The link you found has to do with the HR24, as if you connect ethernet to it, it disables the coax networking.
A.K.A VOS

#37 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

Alright. Again, thanks for the feedback. I'm still new to DirecTV, so I'm glad to have some of you more experienced folks here to help!

Can someone verify my cabling setup as done by the installer? I have my coax from the satellite dish going to the power inverter on the port labelled "Power to SWM". The connection continues out via the port labelled "Power to IRD" and into a 4-way green label splitter. From there, three coax cables exit going to the respective rooms with the receivers. One of the C31s is connected on the DC power passing leg. The other C31 and the HR34 are connected to two of the other legs of the splitter with the last one being terminated with a cap. Does that sound right?

I've also heard of the setup running as follows: Coax from the dish runs directly to the input on the 4-way green label splitter. The DC power passing leg goes to the Power to SWM label of the power inverter. The Power to IRD is terminated. The remaining three legs of the 4-way splitter go to the respective DirecTV receivers.

Is there any legitimacy or reason to believe that the latter would be any better? I found the latter setup from:

http://forums.direct...postID=11116099

Thoughts?

#38 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

Alright. Again, thanks for the feedback. I'm still new to DirecTV, so I'm glad to have some of you more experienced folks here to help!

Can someone verify my cabling setup as done by the installer? I have my coax from the satellite dish going to the power inverter on the port labelled "Power to SWM". The connection continues out via the port labelled "Power to IRD" and into a 4-way green label splitter. From there, three coax cables exit going to the respective rooms with the receivers. One of the C31s is connected on the DC power passing leg. The other C31 and the HR34 are connected to two of the other legs of the splitter with the last one being terminated with a cap. Does that sound right? Yes this is correct and very close to how mine has been since I first got a SWiM.

I've also heard of the setup running as follows: Coax from the dish runs directly to the input on the 4-way green label splitter. The DC power passing leg goes to the Power to SWM label of the power inverter. The Power to IRD is terminated. The remaining three legs of the 4-way splitter go to the respective DirecTV receivers.

Is there any legitimacy or reason to believe that the latter would be any better? Not really. The reason related to this is the PI if it's too close to the DECA/receiver can cause problems. By connecting it on the "other side" of the splitter, you've removed any problem.
Thoughts?

Everyone gets an idea of how to "fix" something, but this is how myths get started too.
That link had to do [or the first few posts/dates] with a software problem with the HR34.
A.K.A VOS

#39 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:52 PM

Everyone gets an idea of how to "fix" something, but this is how myths get started too.
That link had to do [or the first few posts/dates] with a software problem with the HR34.

Oh well. It was worth a shot. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm at a total loss as to where to go from here, I guess. :confused: Do you mind if I ask you what kind of router you're using? I can keep tweaking my router settings to see if it makes any difference. Or just do a RBR on the HR34 every time that I don't see an amber light on the front that it's recording something...

#40 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

Oh well. It was worth a shot. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm at a total loss as to where to go from here, I guess. :confused: Do you mind if I ask you what kind of router you're using? I can keep tweaking my router settings to see if it makes any difference. Or just do a RBR on the HR34 every time that I don't see an amber light on the front that it's recording something...

I've got a Uverse 2Wire router.
I'm a bit at a loss as to what to do also, though the software is still being tested for improvements.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall