Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Problem with HR34 and C31

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

I called the tech this morning. After several tests that showed a networking error, he transferred me to his manager.
I have an appointment with the technician next week. I hope he will be able to solve the problem.

Just curious if you had your appointment yet? If you could post the results of the technician's visit, that would be great. I'm thinking about going that route myself.

I've tried increasing my DHCP lease times from 12 hours to 7 days, but it didn't seem to do anything. I'm assuming that don't have to port forward anything on the router itself? I see that there is a STB port that is defined on the receivers, but I haven't seen many folks talking about setting up port forwarding such that these are accessible from the outside world? I would have figured there would have been more discussion surrounding this if it were required.

I did call DirecTV today just to have record of my problems with the service on my account. The person I spoke with tried some troubleshooting to no avail. Eventually, we got around to resetting the HR34 which I already told him I knew would solve the problem. Once all the receivers were operational after reboot, he said he'd send another "activation signal" or something along those lines to my house in hopes that it would solve the problem long term. I'm highly suspect that it'll do anything, but it's noted on my account now that I've been having continual issues. If I want a technician to come out to the house (assuming that activation signal didn't solve the problem), I should be able to free of charge since I'm still a relatively new customer.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   dserban

dserban

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

Still waiting to hear from them.

#43 OFFLINE   whitestripes1

whitestripes1

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

I'm having this exact same problem as well

#44 OFFLINE   dserban

dserban

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

Latest update.

The technician came, he run some tests, checked the software and apparently I have now the latest software pushed this morning. This should address the problem.
We will see. In any case he insisted that I should call every time there is a problem so they can document so if you have this issue, call them.

#45 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

Yes, I see that there was an update on my C31 clients this morning as well (although the date on the software goes back to 11/2?).

Hopefully it fixes the issue. I've generally had the problem creep up within 24 hours of rebooting my HR34, so I should know relatively quickly if it helped or not.

#46 OFFLINE   mrjussellr

mrjussellr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

Ah, I thought that port was S-Video. Can it display 1080i and 1080p?

1080p is only availible on HDMI with D* receivers.

#47 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:01 AM

Yes, I see that there was an update on my C31 clients this morning as well (although the date on the software goes back to 11/2?).

Hopefully it fixes the issue. I've generally had the problem creep up within 24 hours of rebooting my HR34, so I should know relatively quickly if it helped or not.

Well, that was quick. No fix to me on the issue. I woke up this morning and my C31 was back in its "menu/recordings/guide working but no video showing state".

I've disconnected the HR34 from the Internet and reset the receiver. I'll see if that does anything to keep things running longer than normal.

#48 OFFLINE   dserban

dserban

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:24 PM

Same here. The issue came right back.

#49 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

I've disconnected the HR34 from the Internet and reset the receiver. I'll see if that does anything to keep things running longer than normal.

Well, we're at 36 hours+ and my C31 clients are still working. Certainly not long enough of a test to say definitely that it was the Ethernet connection causing the problem, but I can't remember the last time my C31 clients stayed running for this long. I'll continue to monitor the situation for a few days and report back on my findings, but it may be something for you guys to try. After I disconnected the Ethernet from the HR34, I reset the HR34 and all the C31 clients to ensure that none of the devices were carrying any IPs from my home network on them - just the IPs from the 169.254.x.x internal coax network.

VOS originally clued me into turning off uPNP on my router to see if that helped things. While it didn't prevent the C31 from getting into its weird state, it did allow the C31s to go from off to on much more quickly when it did work. That had me thinking if uPNP on the router can have that affect, maybe there is something with the way the HR34 interacts with the home network that is causing the problem? I can't imagine what that might be? My home network hasn't changed in quite a while and I've never had any problems with it that I can speak of. We'll see...

#50 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

Well, we're at 36 hours+ and my C31 clients are still working. Certainly not long enough of a test to say definitely that it was the Ethernet connection causing the problem, but I can't remember the last time my C31 clients stayed running for this long. I'll continue to monitor the situation for a few days and report back on my findings, but it may be something for you guys to try. After I disconnected the Ethernet from the HR34, I reset the HR34 and all the C31 clients to ensure that none of the devices were carrying any IPs from my home network on them - just the IPs from the 169.254.x.x internal coax network.

VOS originally clued me into turning off uPNP on my router to see if that helped things. While it didn't prevent the C31 from getting into its weird state, it did allow the C31s to go from off to on much more quickly when it did work. That had me thinking if uPNP on the router can have that affect, maybe there is something with the way the HR34 interacts with the home network that is causing the problem? I can't imagine what that might be? My home network hasn't changed in quite a while and I've never had any problems with it that I can speak of. We'll see...

If things keep "going well", you might move to a CCK [or the wireless CCK] to get back the internet/network connection.
I use the WCCK and don't have these issues. :shrug:
A.K.A VOS

#51 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

If things keep "going well", you might move to a CCK [or the wireless CCK] to get back the internet/network connection.
I use the WCCK and don't have these issues. :shrug:

Yup. I was thinking that too.

If the other folks on this thread that have been having this problem (dserban, keebler21, c6duffman, whitestripes1) could post (1) if their HR34s are connected to the network and (2) by what means they're connected to the network, that might help.

If some of those folks already are using the CCK or WCCK and are still having the issue, I can try another router (or probably two or three) that I have here at home lying around to see if the problem doesn't lie there. I probably won't go as far as to replace my main home router, but I can isolate the HR34 on its own private router and subnet independent of any other traffic and see if that doesn't help?

#52 OFFLINE   dserban

dserban

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

I disconnected from the network last night. To no avail, the issue happened again today.
A technician is coming on Sunday but I doubt he will be able to fix the issue.
At this point, I am very frustrated and ready to drop Directv.

#53 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

I disconnected from the network last night. To no avail, the issue happened again today.
A technician is coming on Sunday but I doubt he will be able to fix the issue.
At this point, I am very frustrated and ready to drop Directv.

Hmmm. I'm still rather amazed that mine is still up and running. I've gotten so used to it crashing within 24 hours. Who knows? Maybe it'll start acting up again soon? A couple questions:

• Where you connected to the Internet via a direct Ethernet connection? Or some other method?
  • After you disconnected from the Internet, did you reset all the C31 clients (to remove any home network IP from the C31)?

Mine was directly connected via Ethernet to a gigabit switch which was uplinked to my router LAN ports. I disconnected the Ethernet cable and did a reset of the HR34. I then checked the network status of the C31 (holding down the select button for 15 seconds and releasing) and saw both my home network IP (192.168.x.x) and the internal DirecTV coax IP (169.254.x.x). I did a reset on both C31 receivers so only the 169.254.x.x IP was left. I'm pretty sure that's all I did.

I'm not saying my setup is fixed. But it has been up and running now for longer than it has been in the past week... maybe two.

EDIT: I also reset the networking preferences to the defaults. Not that it should have mattered since the Ethernet was unplugged, but figured I would do that just in case something was wonky in the saved network settings on the HR34.

Edited by Drinyth, 16 November 2012 - 08:50 PM.

• ruby1025 likes this

#54 OFFLINE   Billd300

Billd300

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:06 AM

im not sure this will help you guys but check out this kink. If i understand this correctly if you have a hr34 you do not need a cck it says it will confuse the boxes. Not an expert just found this and thought it might help

forums.solidsignal.com/showthread.php/1251-WHITE-PAPER-A-Guide-to-DIRECTV-Networking
  • ruby1025 likes this

#55 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:25 AM

im not sure this will help you guys but check out this kink. If i understand this correctly if you have a hr34 you do not need a cck it says it will confuse the boxes. Not an expert just found this and thought it might help
http://forums.solids...ECTV-Networking

That's a good white paper, as I help on it. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#56 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:34 AM

I'll continue to monitor the situation for a few days and report back on my findings

Well, it was too good to be true I suppose. Turned the C31 on this morning and it was back to it's broken state. So in my case, it happens regardless of the HR34 being connected to the home network or not.

I suppose maybe I'll call DirecTV and have them dispatch a technician? :whatdidid: I'm not really hopeful that he is going to be able to solve the problem either, but I really have taken out every other variable at this point. It's either a software bug that needs to get fixed or a problem with the hardware that needs to get addressed. In either case, it's on DirecTV to fix.

I still want to thank VOS and the other folks here for listening and offering their opinions on how to troubleshoot and help. Even though my problem isn't resolved, it was helpful to be able to rule out various things (home network, cable signal strength/phy mesh network, etc) so thank you all for that!

#57 OFFLINE   c6duffman

c6duffman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

Yup. I was thinking that too.

If the other folks on this thread that have been having this problem (dserban, keebler21, c6duffman, whitestripes1) could post (1) if their HR34s are connected to the network and (2) by what means they're connected to the network, that might help.

It sounds like it's not a networking issue, but for the record.

ATT 2wire DSL modem with the wireless AP turned off. That's connected to a D-Link DGL-4500 Wireless AP. At the TV, I have a D-Link DAP-1522 in bridge mode.

I just got a component cable to replace the HDMI cable on the C31. I'll report back on the outcome.

#58 OFFLINE   1080me

1080me

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:14 PM

I'm having the same exact problem and I just switched to Directv. I've got two c31 receivers and an H34. Anyway i'm super interested in the results because I haven't been able to watch TV in my bedroom for a week now.

#59 OFFLINE   dtvsvctech

dtvsvctech

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:20 AM

As a service tech ive noticed there is a big problem with the hand shake between the c31 and the tv using hdmi. Ive tried everything i know including disconnecting the clients and then rebooting the hr34 fully. Then reconnect your clients. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. As soon as i remove the hdmi cable and install a 10pin/rgb cable, it pops right on with no problems.

#60 OFFLINE   Strog

Strog

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:56 AM

As a service tech ive noticed there is a big problem with the hand shake between the c31 and the tv using hdmi. Ive tried everything i know including disconnecting the clients and then rebooting the hr34 fully. Then reconnect your clients. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. As soon as i remove the hdmi cable and install a 10pin/rgb cable, it pops right on with no problems.

Exactly what I've experienced with one of my C31 clients. Just as an update, I tried reconnecting HDMI to the C31 and Westinghouse LCD after the new 0x709 dated 11.2.2012 was pushed to my clients but the issue is still not resolved. Otherwise system works great, I have no other issues.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...