Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Problem with HR34 and C31

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

For those that are thinking it's a HDMI handshake issue, when the C31 acts up are you able to see anything on the screen at all? Do the menus or guide or anything work?

I think we may have two different issues here. For some of us, the menus/guide/recording list work fine and we just aren't able to display video. I would think if it were a HDMI handshake issue going on here, that we wouldn't get anything on the screen?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Strog

Strog

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

For those that are thinking it's a HDMI handshake issue, when the C31 acts up are you able to see anything on the screen at all? Do the menus or guide or anything work?

I think we may have two different issues here. For some of us, the menus/guide/recording list work fine and we just aren't able to display video. I would think if it were a HDMI handshake issue going on here, that we wouldn't get anything on the screen?

Yes. I saw menu bar, was able to change channels (I think, since I saw numbers changing in the menu bar but I couldn't see the picture). Not sure about the recording list or TV guide, never checked it.

#63 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

Yes. I saw menu bar, was able to change channels (I think, since I saw numbers changing in the menu bar but I couldn't see the picture). Not sure about the recording list or TV guide, never checked it.

Interesting. And after you changed from HDMI to component, you never had that problem again? I would have thought that if it was an HDMI handshake issue, that you wouldn't have even been able to see the menu bar or clock or anything on the screen.

Obviously I'd prefer an HDMI connection to a component connection, but if using a component cable means that I don't have to reboot my HR34 everyday I'd use that in a heart beat!

#64 OFFLINE   Strog

Strog

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

Interesting. And after you changed from HDMI to component, you never had that problem again?

Nope, not on this TV. I was able to replicate grey screen issue on other TVs using HDMI connections only if I was watching a recording and by accident turned off both the client and the TV, but it doesn't happen all the time either (did few tests). I'm sure there is some work left to be done by D* to fine tune everything and I'm hoping that one day I'll be able to use HDMI with all my TVs. Does the grey screen happen for you on all TVs with the clients? Maybe there is a software update for your particular TVs, you can try that approach.

#65 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

Does the grey screen happen for you on all TVs with the clients? Maybe there is a software update for your particular TVs, you can try that approach.

I only have two TVs that the my C31s are connected to but yes, it happens on both TVs. And both TVs are connected via HDMI.

I'll try and get a DirecTV technician to come out sometime and see if he can't give me the cables that will let me connect the TVs via component instead of HDMI to see if that makes any difference.

Thanks for feedback with your experience.

#66 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,018 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

I only have two TVs that the my C31s are connected to but yes, it happens on both TVs. And both TVs are connected via HDMI.

I'll try and get a DirecTV technician to come out sometime and see if he can't give me the cables that will let me connect the TVs via component instead of HDMI to see if that makes any difference.

Thanks for feedback with your experience.

http://www.ebay.com/...n-/300804849342

#67 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

Thanks for the link to the cable needed. I think there was another post of that same cable earlier in this thread.

I'll probably have DirecTV out and see if the technician has them and if he'll provide them for free. I've been a DirecTV customer for less than a month still, so I believe it should still be included?

#68 OFFLINE   dtvsvctech

dtvsvctech

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

My exp with the clients. Blue/black screen on client. Reboot, works fine until turned off and back on again. Nothing. Turn off and the client wont respond. Change the hdmi to rgb and troubles are gone. Initially we noticed it with emerson brand tvs. Now its happened with a couple of vizio and an older samsung. Its a learning curve as of this point in time...

#69 OFFLINE   1080me

1080me

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:35 PM

I will say the problem i'm having is with an older Samsung LCD. Next time it happens i'll be sure to check my other bedroom which has a newer Samsung.

#70 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:24 AM

Could this issue have something to do with hdmi cec? What about a "hdmi with ethernet" conflict, since the c31 is IP based?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI
HarperVision, LLC
ISF Calibrations, Installations,
Repairs & Consultations

#71 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:59 AM

I will say the problem i'm having is with an older Samsung LCD. Next time it happens i'll be sure to check my other bedroom which has a newer Samsung.

For me, it doesn't necessarily happen at the same time. I can have one C31 client working alright while the other has problems. But I am able to reproduce the problem on both TVs so I know it isn't the C31 itself.

In my case, it happens with a Visio that is a few years old but also with a newer Panasonic that was just released in 2012.

#72 OFFLINE   c6duffman

c6duffman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

I just got a component cable to replace the HDMI cable on the C31. I'll report back on the outcome.

I've been using the 10 pin component cable for about 5 days now and it has NOT fixed the issue. In fact, it seems worse.

#73 OFFLINE   c6duffman

c6duffman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:53 AM

I just got off the phone with Directv support and the women (who was very nice) said they know of the issue and that they are working around the clock to resolve the problem. She said they're pretty sure it's a software problem and it would be fixed with an update. But she didn't have an ETA. So, this is some good news I suppose.

I was calling mainly to get the issue noted on my account. She also said there maybe credits issued because of this. So everyone should call support.

#74 OFFLINE   dtvsvctech

dtvsvctech

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

Im not saying this is an absolute fix. Between rebooting the 34 without the client attached, wait for it to boot up fully and then reattach the clients or switching out the cables, i havent had any repeat service calls.
Dtv is aware of the problem and it probably is a software issue/codec issue in the clients.

#75 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

So, I called in to DirecTV customer support today to report that I am still having this problem (my previous call to them told me to call back if it wasn't resolved). The lady that I spoke with this morning indicated that there was an alarm in her system that has been there since yesterday informing people that this is a wide spread issue and that they're working to fix the problem.

New to the thread, she also walked me through the steps to generate a diagnostics report to send to DirecTV from the Genie unit while my C31 were frozen. So, for those of you having problems, I recommend next time your C31 clients are frozen that you call into DirecTV and submit a report. Maybe they'll use the data from these reports and be able to solve this problem for good?

She said that normally these problems are resolved within 72 hours of having an alarm in the system. She stated that she's never seen an alarm go more than a week in the system without resolution. So hopefully, they're on top of it and we'll get some action soon?

#76 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

That last part, unfortunately, is a lie. When you report issues they are logged, and the SENDREPORT procedure does help, but the CSR was wrong to make a promise that something would be fixed within 72 hours. This is similar to other things that CSRs have said, usually in the interest of getting the customer off the phone.

Software updates come far less frequently than every 72 hours.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#77 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

That last part, unfortunately, is a lie. When you report issues they are logged, and the SENDREPORT procedure does help, but the CSR was wrong to make a promise that something would be fixed within 72 hours. This is similar to other things that CSRs have said, usually in the interest of getting the customer off the phone.

Software updates come far less frequently than every 72 hours.

Oh, she didn't make any promises in terms of timeline of resolution. She just said for as long as she's been there (and I didn't ask how long that was), most of the time these "alarm" type issues get fixed within 72 hours. And she said the longest she has seen it go has been a week. That was me more probing her for her opinion on the issue. She was clear to state that there is currently no estimated time on when this will be fixed.

She also said that she's been getting a lot of calls on this. She estimated almost every other call that she has been taking is about this issue. Take that for what it's worth. Maybe she was just trying to sympathize with me as a customer? Who knows. In any case, it does seem at least that this issue is getting some new attention that it wasn't a few weeks ago. Hopefully, it'll get worked out soon!

#78 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

It looks like I got another download on my C31 tonight. I now have version 0x70A. Maybe this one is a winner?

#79 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,950 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

It looks like I got another download on my C31 tonight. I now have version 0x70A. Maybe this one is a winner?

You can always hope. :lol:

I got [just] a pink screen on powering up with it last night, which required a RBR.
A.K.A VOS

#80 OFFLINE   Strog

Strog

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:48 PM

Checked mine, all 3 are at 0x70A also. HDMI still gets a grey screen, back to component for me on the Westinghouse. However it seems that jumping between channels takes a bit longer then it used to. I'll test that again tomorrow after rebooting entire system.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...