Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Problem with HR34 and C31

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

That's not answering the question but that's fine I guess.

My first reply started with: While a bad barrel wouldn't be a good thing.

You asked about the color of the barrel, which was more of my point.
A good barrel doesn't need to be any color to work for a C31.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   i3rown

i3rown

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

My first reply started with: While a bad barrel wouldn't be a good thing.

You asked about the color of the barrel, which was more of my point.
A good barrel doesn't need to be any color to work for a C31.

the question that i specifically directed to you was.. how many service calls do you go to where the resolution is replace fitting inside..

my original post about this issue.. is not to have a frequency debate, its about if the technician did the install correctly. if the people with this type of issue dont say orange.. then they should be calling for service and showing the tech that the barells arnt orange.

now you may know the quality of the barrels in your house.. but that doesnt mean the OP does or for that matter if his barrels are good quality or not.. on top of that it doesnt matter becuase it was the technicians job to do a quality install with approved parts so the system would work without issue. whats important to me is that the OP doesnt get so frustrated that he cancels his service, that the issue is addressed to the point where he can explain that is system is not to code and hopefully a good tech will be dispatched for the repeat.

i say post the colors.. and he doesnt say orange.. i see an issue.. make sense?

#103 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

the question that i specifically directed to you was.. how many service calls do you go to where the resolution is replace fitting inside..

my original post about this issue.. is not to have a frequency debate, its about if the technician did the install correctly. if the people with this type of issue dont say orange.. then they should be calling for service and showing the tech that the barells arnt orange.

now you may know the quality of the barrels in your house.. but that doesnt mean the OP does or for that matter if his barrels are good quality or not.. on top of that it doesnt matter becuase it was the technicians job to do a quality install with approved parts so the system would work without issue. whats important to me is that the OP doesnt get so frustrated that he cancels his service, that the issue is addressed to the point where he can explain that is system is not to code and hopefully a good tech will be dispatched for the repeat.

i say post the colors.. and he doesnt say orange.. i see an issue.. make sense?

I guess the basic difference here is following [maybe blindly] instructions for a QC standard, verses using a test to find the problem.
Orange, blue, pink, or white shouldn't be a problem. Any one of these could be bad, and for the C31, running the coax networking test from the HR34 should show if there is one.
A.K.A VOS

#104 OFFLINE   i3rown

i3rown

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

I guess the basic difference here is following [maybe blindly] instructions for a QC standard, verses using a test to find the problem.
Orange, blue, pink, or white shouldn't be a problem. Any one of these could be bad, and for the C31, running the coax networking test from the HR34 should show if there is one.

Blindly lol classic .. What actually should happen .. Is the job should be brought to code if its not and and the guided test should be ran on the aim at each ird..

#105 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

Blindly lol classic .. What actually should happen .. Is the job should be brought to code if its not and and the guided test should be ran on the aim at each ird..

"Hey" if my paycheck was connected to this, I'd be "blindly" following it too.
This wasn't my point though.

The AIM has no provisions to test the DECA/coax network.
The AIM is a GREAT meter, and every install/service call should pass the VI test before leaving.
A.K.A VOS

#106 OFFLINE   i3rown

i3rown

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

The AIM is a GREAT meter, and every install/service call should pass the VI test before leaving.

Which is exactly why the job should be brought to code first .. Then guided mode should be ran

Im sure you just mistyped but its iv, and to clarify your statement an eiv should be ran .. on top of that on a service call the tech will need to do an IVR anyways before he can close the OLI and the WO for that matter.

Check out the case management form .. Bringing the job to code is not blindly diagnosing the problem.

Back to the OPs question tho .. If he notes that there isn't an orange barrell at his wall plate I would call for service and ask that the job be brought to code , same story , all that he likely cares about is the system working properly not the dynamics behind it.

#107 OFFLINE   i3rown

i3rown

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

Oh and to clarify you uneducated statement .. A service call is going to pay a flat rate to the tech regardless of how long it takes him.

#108 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

Oh and to clarify you uneducated statement .. A service call is going to pay a flat rate to the tech regardless of how long it takes him.

Yes I had a typo.

If I'm going to come out to fix a problem, I'm going to use my tools, meters, tests, and my brain to resolve it.

For a coax networking problem, which the C31 require to function, I'm going to run the coax networking tests and see what it shows.

Do you know about this test?
A.K.A VOS

#109 OFFLINE   i3rown

i3rown

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

Yes I had a typo.

If I'm going to come out to fix a problem, I'm going to use my tools, meters, tests, and my brain to resolve it.

For a coax networking problem, which the C31 require to function, I'm going to run the coax networking tests and see what it shows.

Do you know about this test?

Of course I know about the test ..

Hopeless ... Good luck with helping the guy with his issues

#110 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:57 PM

Of course I know about the test ..

Good, because I had to learn about it from the engineer who was in charge of it.
A.K.A VOS

#111 OFFLINE   bubbadawg

bubbadawg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:41 AM

Add me to the list of individuals getting the grey screen. I had the Genie and two clients installed last week and it has occurred every day since, at least once a day on each client's tv. Usually a reset on the client will fix it, however, today, I actually had to reset the Genie - which fixed the issue until probably tomorrow. I have temporarily fixed the issue by not turning on either of the client tvs. DirecTV needs to get their act together and fix this issue!

#112 OFFLINE   lowgolfer

lowgolfer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

I am also getting the grey screen. But when I get back to the tv after several hours it is asking for the PIN number to log into the network. It also does this after a red button reboot of the genie. It is a new install with three clients as of Tuesday.
2-VIP722k

#113 OFFLINE   c6duffman

c6duffman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

Still no updates. I'm surprised. I expected this to be resolved by now. It must be a complex issue.

#114 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:42 AM

It's definitely a bummer. It's been over a month now for me. :(

I've taken to leaving the C31 on all the time which seems to work alright, but isn't ideal. It beats having to reboot the HR34 in the middle of a long block of recordings though...

#115 OFFLINE   dserban

dserban

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

Leaving the C31 on all the time, didn't do it for me. When I turned the TV on next day it was a frozen picture. Maybe just a coincidence.
I reboot the hr34 every day ahead of recordings. That seems to work.

#116 OFFLINE   bubbadawg

bubbadawg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

For those having the grey screen of death, try changing the C31 Power Saving mode to 'Off'. This seems to have corrected my issue for the past few days. Before switching the power saving mode, I was getting the grey screen every day on both units.

#117 OFFLINE   lowgolfer

lowgolfer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

For those having the grey screen of death, try changing the C31 Power Saving mode to 'Off'. This seems to have corrected my issue for the past few days. Before switching the power saving mode, I was getting the grey screen every day on both units.

How is that done?
2-VIP722k

#118 OFFLINE   bubbadawg

bubbadawg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

How is that done?

On the C31, select Menu > Settings > Power Saving > Off

HTH

#119 OFFLINE   lowgolfer

lowgolfer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

On the C31, select Menu > Settings > Power Saving > Off

HTH

Thanks.
2-VIP722k

#120 OFFLINE   Strog

Strog

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

Can some of you with the grey screen issue disconnect your system from the home network (router), reset HR34 and C31 clients using red button and let it run without home network connection for few hours\days? If you can, please report back if you are still having issues.

spam firewall