Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Problem with HR34 and C31

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   dserban

dserban

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

I did that and it came right back.
Also I have the C31 power savings off and the gray screen is back every other day.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

Leaving the C31 on all the time, didn't do it for me. When I turned the TV on next day it was a frozen picture. Maybe just a coincidence.
I reboot the hr34 every day ahead of recordings. That seems to work.

Wow. It is ENTIRELY unacceptable to need a DAILY reboot. I bet I've done 20 unplanned reboots of my TiVo in six years.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#123 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:32 AM

For those having the grey screen of death, try changing the C31 Power Saving mode to 'Off'. This seems to have corrected my issue for the past few days. Before switching the power saving mode, I was getting the grey screen every day on both units.

I tried that a while back to no avail. If I leave the Power Saving mode Off and never turn the C31 off, it seems to stay running for me. But with Power Saving mode Off and turning the C31 on and off as needed it still grey screens on me.

#124 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:39 AM

Can some of you with the grey screen issue disconnect your system from the home network (router), reset HR34 and C31 clients using red button and let it run without home network connection for few hours\days? If you can, please report back if you are still having issues.

I did this as well after it was suggested (I believe by VOS) to disable uPNP on my router (which didn't fix the problem). I still got my C31s to grey screen with the HR34 being completely disconnected from the Internet, so it doesn't seem to be related to the home network.

Wow. It is ENTIRELY unacceptable to need a DAILY reboot. I bet I've done 20 unplanned reboots of my TiVo in six years.

20 for your TiVo? I'm betting my TiVo crashed less than that one me over about the same duration. That thing is solid.

I don't know if DirecTV just doesn't care much about getting this fixed or what? Maybe those of us that are having the grey screen problems are a very small part of their overall user base and this is way on the back burner for them to fix? It's been over a month now for me and living with this problem. :/

#125 OFFLINE   tthen

tthen

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

Why is this issue taking so long to resolve? I am wondering if it is actually a hardware issue that they are trying to fix via the software.

How did they do whole home dvr prior to the genie set up? At this point the client isn't worth all the aggrevation.

I am tired of getting the call when the kid tries to watch tv in the other room and I have to reset the dvr again. I had to reset while I was recording the UFC event last night. Missed the ending to one of the earlier fights!

#126 OFFLINE   Strog

Strog

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

Why is this issue taking so long to resolve? I am wondering if it is actually a hardware issue that they are trying to fix via the software.

That's what I'm starting to think, it might be a hardware issue with some units. I have HR34 with three C31 clients and have no issues at all after fixing my initial problems yet there are so many of you here with grey screen problems. I also know that there are others here that have no issues. Maybe it has to do with the way the systems were installed or maybe bad connectors or switches. Not sure what to think anymore, hopefully problems will be resolved by the software update that is coming sooner then later.

Maybe if those having issues start posting their setups something will stand out.

#127 OFFLINE   zman15

zman15

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

What kind of tvs do you guys have that get the grey screen? I started with one customer having the grey screen now this last batch of receivers almost every customer calls back with the issue. The most common tv that does it is emerson it does not matter how they are connected. I have not heard of any on samsung or Vizio that I have installed.

#128 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

What kind of tvs do you guys have that get the grey screen? I started with one customer having the grey screen now this last batch of receivers almost every customer calls back with the issue. The most common tv that does it is emerson it does not matter how they are connected. I have not heard of any on samsung or Vizio that I have installed.

It happens to me on both of my C31 connected TVs. One is Vizio that is around 5 years old or so. The other is a Panasonic LCD that was made in 2012.

#129 OFFLINE   lowgolfer

lowgolfer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

I have a Panasonic, Sony, and a Westinghouse. It has happened to all three.
2-VIP722k

#130 OFFLINE   zman15

zman15

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

God it is so frustrating doing a install that u have to explain to the person how to reset everything when your state of the art Genie does not work. They need to get this fixed ASAP

#131 OFFLINE   bubbadawg

bubbadawg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:31 AM

Both are Samsung TVs - LCD and DLP.

#132 OFFLINE   bubbadawg

bubbadawg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

For those having the grey screen of death, try changing the C31 Power Saving mode to 'Off'. This seems to have corrected my issue for the past few days. Before switching the power saving mode, I was getting the grey screen every day on both units.

Well the honeymoon was short lived. Had grey screens appear on both client TVs about 2 days after switching Power Saving mode to off. On to the next Hail Mary!

#133 OFFLINE   DaveC6

DaveC6

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

I just had the Genie and 5 clients installed last week. I have also had this issue several times. I just started looking into my network settings and there is a setting for DHCP Lease Time. I believe this is the automatic assignment of IP addresses and length of time. Mine was set to 1440 minutes, which happens to be 24 hours. I'm wondering if this is bumping off the clients after 24 hours.

I just set it to 63,360 minutes, the maximum combination of minutes I could get it to accept in even number days. This is now 44 days rather than 1 day. I'll see if this has any impact.

What do others have for DHCP Lease Time setting?

#134 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

I just had the Genie and 5 clients installed last week. I have also had this issue several times. I just started looking into my network settings and there is a setting for DHCP Lease Time. I believe this is the automatic assignment of IP addresses and length of time. Mine was set to 1440 minutes, which happens to be 24 hours. I'm wondering if this is bumping off the clients after 24 hours.

I just set it to 63,360 minutes, the maximum combination of minutes I could get it to accept in even number days. This is now 44 days rather than 1 day. I'll see if this has any impact.

What do others have for DHCP Lease Time setting?

I don't think it'll help. I've tried various values from 12 hours, to 24 hours, to 7 days. And have even removed my HR34 from the home network entirely. In all cases, I still get the C31 grey screens.

#135 OFFLINE   fyrfyter

fyrfyter

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

I don't think it'll help. I've tried various values from 12 hours, to 24 hours, to 7 days. And have even removed my HR34 from the home network entirely. In all cases, I still get the C31 grey screens.

All my network components are set to renew at 3600. I still get grey screens. Sometimes once a day, sometimes it is several days but eventually it comes back. I tried changing the setup. The installer used a DECA. I tried just running the CAT5E into the HR34, but it doesn't seemed to have made any difference.

#136 OFFLINE   bubbadawg

bubbadawg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

To date I have tried all of the following:

- Changing Power Saving mode to Off
- Changing resolution to 720p
- Switching to Component cables
- Leaving the clients on

All of which have failed to resolve the grey screen of death!

#137 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

To date I have tried all of the following:

- Changing Power Saving mode to Off
- Changing resolution to 720p
- Switching to Component cables
- Leaving the clients on

All of which have failed to resolve the grey screen of death!

To that I'll add:
  • Tried both Native resolution settings "on" and "off"
  • Disabled uPNP on my router as well as tinkering with numerous other network settings (DHCP lease times, QoS, giving the DirecTV equipment static IPs, etc)
  • Completely unplugging the Genie system from the Internet entirely

At this point, I'm hoping that this problem can actually be fixed via a software update and that it's not a permanent condition that I'm going to have to live with.

I might forgo the daily morning reboot tomorrow and give DirecTV a call again and see what they have to say. If nothing else, to further document that I've been having this problem for over a month now with no resolution.

#138 OFFLINE   bubbadawg

bubbadawg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

To that I'll add:

• Tried both Native resolution settings "on" and "off"
  • Disabled uPNP on my router as well as tinkering with numerous other network settings (DHCP lease times, QoS, giving the DirecTV equipment static IPs, etc)
  • Completely unplugging the Genie system from the Internet entirely

At this point, I'm hoping that this problem can actually be fixed via a software update and that it's not a permanent condition that I'm going to have to live with.

I might forgo the daily morning reboot tomorrow and give DirecTV a call again and see what they have to say. If nothing else, to further document that I've been having this problem for over a month now with no resolution.

You are a much more patient individual than me :)

I called them after three days of the issue occurring. It's clear at this point that they have no idea of what's causing the issue or how to correct it. I ended up scheduling a tech to come out and his solution was to switch to component cables - which didn't work. However, what did work was that since the visit didn't fix the issue, I was able to escalate the problem within DTV support, giving me a dedicated support number. Also, I have since been getting nightly calls from them on the issue - although nothing has fixed it yet.

#139 OFFLINE   Strog

Strog

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:23 PM

Here is my setup\install info:
From 3SWM LNB about 35' RG6 Quad Shield solid copper to the power inserter and about 20" to 8 way splitter. From the splitter all runs are about 10 year old RG6 Clad Cooper Quad Shield:
HR34 about 30'
1st C31 about 20'
2nd C31 about 25' (grey screen issue resolved by using component kit\cable, tried swapping C31 clients, no go. Something about HDMI connection to TV, tried few HDMI cables)
3rd C31 about 40'
HR34 connected directly to a 1GB switch, switch connected to 1GB router
All wall connectors were replaced with blue 3GHZ connectors
After resolving couple of initial issues I have bo problems at all for past 6-7 weeks or so.

Maybe something stands out in your installs...

#140 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

Certain Emersons, including the black Friday ones, have HDMI hand shaking issues with the C31s. When it's a hand shaking issue removing the HDMI cable and reattaching it temporarily fixes the issue. The cable should be swapped to component in these cases.

The other blank screen issue appears to affect every TV manufacturer, including Vizio and Samsung. It does not appear to be affected by network settings, receiver settings, or cable connection to TV.

Edited by dielray, 12 December 2012 - 12:01 PM.

DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...