Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Problem with HR34 and C31

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,696 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

The other blank screen issue appears to affect every TV manufacturer, including Vizio and Samsung. It does not appear to be affected by network or receiver settings or cable connection to TV.

From my own use of the C31, I'm not so sure that there isn't some network or receiver issue. Not that there is some setting to change that improves this, but that the firmware interaction is much more complex with RVU than non RVU.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 234 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

From my own use of the C31, I'm not so sure that there isn't some network or receiver issue. Not that there is some setting to change that improves this, but that the firmware interaction is much more complex with RVU than non RVU.

Agreed. The point of my post was that there doesn't appear to be anything a tech can do to solve the issue and that it does not seem to be caused by customer equipment.
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#143 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

I'm glad their equipment establishes its own separate network on the coax for the RVU traffic. How fun would it be if that traffic had to commingle with all the other data people generally have on their home networks?:confused:
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#144 OFFLINE   keebler21

keebler21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 81 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

I've been having an added problem of not being able to pause from the C31's in the last week. I hit pause and the pause comes up on the on screen display but live TV or recorded show continue to play.

#145 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

I've been having an issue with playing back recorded shows on my c31s where they freeze every minute or so and the only way to get them going again is to FF or RW a little. It's not repeatable at the same place in the recordings either and doesn't do it when playing the same shows via the HR34. I haven't had any time to troubleshoot as of yet, so any info would be helpful.
HarperVision, LLC
ISF Calibrations, Installations,
Repairs & Consultations

#146 OFFLINE   lowgolfer

lowgolfer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

I have the problem if freezing while just backing up live tv to see something again. Sometimes the ff or rw trick works other times have had to change channel.
2-VIP722k

#147 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

I've been having an issue with playing back recorded shows on my c31s where they freeze every minute or so and the only way to get them going again is to FF or RW a little. It's not repeatable at the same place in the recordings either and doesn't do it when playing the same shows via the HR34. I haven't had any time to troubleshoot as of yet, so any info would be helpful.

I might add that this is a constant issue, not intermittent.
HarperVision, LLC
Repairs & Consultations

#148 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,696 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

I've been having an issue with playing back recorded shows on my c31s where they freeze every minute or so.

If you go back to the national release firmware, this problem will go away.
A.K.A VOS

#149 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:22 PM

Cool thanks, I was just trying to find this "issue" in the appropriate thread, you saved me lots of my valuable time VOS! :)
HarperVision, LLC
Repairs & Consultations

#150 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

Any chance this'll be fixed in about 2 days?
HarperVision, LLC
Repairs & Consultations

#151 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

If you go back to the national release firmware, this problem will go away.

How does one revert to a particular firmware version?
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#152 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,696 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

How does one revert to a particular firmware version?

One can only download what is available at the time.
The post I replied to shouldn't really have been posted.
A.K.A VOS

#153 OFFLINE   jsclarke

jsclarke

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:15 PM

We just got 3 C31's and and HR34 installed Saturday-- for $538 I might add- and since I've called DirecTV once per day over an issue and had to do 1-2 resets of the HR34 every day. Our screen goes black (not gray) from a C31. If you press guide- you can see white text on a black background- but no picture or sound. Red button reset on the C31 doesn't fix it- and I've replaced all cables in the path and bypassed the receiver going straight from C31 to our Sharp 70" LCD (732U series). We're on a 1 year old (new) SWIM16 switch in a new house with 4 year old RG6.

When our great room C31 exhibited this behavior this morning- I took a WORKING 31 from another room to the same physical place and swapped the two. The problem then showed up on the 2nd C31- which makes it seem like it's related to the cable there. Called Direct- a RBR on the HR34 fixed it- for now.

I'm now regretting this change- and see posts about this going back to early November... hmmm....

#154 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

When our great room C31 exhibited this behavior this morning- I took a WORKING 31 from another room to the same physical place and swapped the two. The problem then showed up on the 2nd C31- which makes it seem like it's related to the cable there. Called Direct- a RBR on the HR34 fixed it- for now.

I initially tried swapping out my clients way back when with another that was in a room that wasn't used very often, but both clients will eventually exhibit the problem regardless of the location in the house.

I suppose a better cabling test for me would be swapping the HR34 with a C31 as the HR34 never seems to be stuck when the C31 units are?

#155 OFFLINE   c6duffman

c6duffman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:21 AM

I wouldn't doubt that non pristine cabling could be a factor. My cables are 30 years old. But, my C31 works perfectly fine, as long as I don't turn it off. So it could be related with the on/off cycle and cabling.

#156 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

I wouldn't doubt that non pristine cabling could be a factor. My cables are 30 years old. But, my C31 works perfectly fine, as long as I don't turn it off. So it could be related with the on/off cycle and cabling.

I'd be somewhat skeptical that the cabling is the cause in my case. I had my house rewired in a home run configuration with all new RG6 (and Cat5e) around two years ago or so.

But like you said, my C31 works fine when it works. I left it on for several days straight once and it never had the grey/black screen issue that was described above. But leaving all the C31s on uses up an available tuner for each C31 on the HR34? So that isn't an ideal solution...

#157 OFFLINE   jsclarke

jsclarke

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:32 AM

I've gone 24 hours without a RBR on the HR34- and all I've done is disconnected the DECA BB adapter from our wired ethernet. I'll keep watching this.

Also this is the 2nd time I've heard someone report "disable power saving and don't turn off your C31"... can you expand on that a little please? I haven't tried this because leaving a C31 on all the time takes up one of the HR 34 tuners... but... thank you

#158 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:35 AM

I've gone 24 hours without a RBR on the HR34- and all I've done is disconnected the DECA BB adapter from our wired ethernet. I'll keep watching this.

I completely disconnected mine from the Internet as well, but it didn't resolve the issue.

Also this is the 2nd time I've heard someone report "disable power saving and don't turn off your C31"... can you expand on that a little please? I haven't tried this because leaving a C31 on all the time takes up one of the HR 34 tuners... but... thank you

Yeah, that's exactly what it is. Just disable the power saving option on the C31 to prevent it from sleeping and just turn off the TV when you're not using that device. The C31 stays on and continues using up a tuner, but at least you don't have to worry about it not coming back on when you want to use that TV later.

#159 OFFLINE   philiphotog

philiphotog

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:36 AM

My house just had all new wiring installed after some renovation.
I have to reset the genie almost every other day when the mini clients have black screens.
I have reported this to Directv's technical and have sent reports to them via the genie. They are aware of it and ones informed that a fix is being worked on. The rep I spoke to was well aware of the problems many of us are having and seemed as frustrated as I was.
So. We wait.

#160 OFFLINE   fyrfyter

fyrfyter

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:55 AM

My house just had all new wiring installed after some renovation.
I have to reset the genie almost every other day when the mini clients have black screens.
I have reported this to Directv's technical and have sent reports to them via the genie. They are aware of it and ones informed that a fix is being worked on. The rep I spoke to was well aware of the problems many of us are having and seemed as frustrated as I was.
So. We wait.

Yes we do. I killed off the power saving on my C31, and just leave it on all the time. The fix until a real fix comes out. Hopefully it burns up and they can replace it, which they will do repeatedly at their cost until it is fixed, because I am sure as hell not paying for it. No shipping costs, no replacement costs, this is their problem. Better testing in house would have found this issue.

spam firewall