Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Next up: Web cam required to watch dvd and PPV.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,261 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:24 AM

This Kinect Patent Is Terrifying, Wants To Charge You For License Violation.A patent filed by Microsoft last year, but only made public last week, wants to turn your Xbox 360′s Kinect into an instrument via which large companies can monitor your media usage and, if you’re found to be in violation of something, charge you for it.

And no, I am not making that up.

The patent application, titled “CONTENT DISTRIBUTION REGULATION BY VIEWING USER”, is a means of using Kinect to monitor not just what you’re watching (or listening to) on your Kinect, but more importantly, how many people.

http://www.kotaku.co...ense-violation/

I'm not sure this is "terrifying" but just a bit (a very very small bit, if at all) worrisome.
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:14 AM

I smell FUD
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:31 AM

Yeah, there's FUD there but there IS something at the bottom of this.

As I read the info - it would appear that MS wants to have a tool that will make sure that a 'residential' license for something like Netflix or MLB.TV isn't being used in a bar for public exhibition. They seemed to mention 'streaming services' a lot.

Now, like *any* tool, this can certainly be abused.

#4 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,261 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:37 AM

All it takes is an idea and the technology to implement it and there will be those who will take it to the extreme. Especially when there is $$$ to be made.
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,104 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

Of course plenty of patents never see the light of day in actual use.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...