Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: Rochester-Austin MN-Mason City IA

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,061 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:48 AM

DMA: Rochester-Austin MN-Mason City IA
Established: 11/08/12

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

The HD feed for these stations is finally available, huh? Boy, I'd love to get these locals.

I live in Minnesota but am in the La Crosse/Eau Claire DMA. All of my local news has a Wisconsin bias. Is there any way I can get the locals for both? I'd love to watch KTTC's evening news instead of the stations I get.

Rochester is only 60 miles away from me. By comparison, Eau Claire, where WEAU, my DMA's NBC station, is located, is 90 miles away.

Edited by Carl Spock, 09 November 2012 - 09:19 AM.

hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#3 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 957 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:32 AM

any updates on if LaCrescent would get these channels?

#4 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

DirecTV denied the request. I am going to work with KTTC, the NBC affiliate out of Rochester, MN, and the only station with a local station manager, to get that station added to DirecTV's offerings for Winona County, MN, which is where I live and in the La Crosse/Eau Claire DMA. It will be after the first of the year at this point in my schedule to attempt to make this happen.

I have to thank Alan Gordon for his help in educating me in this area. He introduced me to the FCC's Significantly Viewed List and those stations that the government recognizes are watched within a DMA but are broadcast outside of the DMA. For Winona County, the two stations on the Significantly Viewed List are KTTC and KAAL, the ABC affiliate out of Austin, MN.

If you want to see what stations might be significantly viewed in your county, here's the list. DirecTV does have a program, which Alan also first told me about, to act on these issues, called Neighboring Local Channels. Here's the page on DirecTV's website. According to Alan, DirecTV is loath to add stations from outside the DMA if there are alternatives within the DMA. I will have to push against that.

And bjlc, even if I am eventually successful, this wouldn't include La Crescent, MN, as it is in Houston County.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#5 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

According to Alan, DirecTV is loath to add stations from outside the DMA if there are alternatives within the DMA. I will have to push against that.

For the record, I'm sure DirecTV would be fine offering these stations.

Unfortunately, by DirecTV offering these stations, DirecTV risks ticking off the local affiliates, so it's not necessarily worth it for them to add these stations and then experience an issue with the local station.

#6 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 957 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

why wouldn't the locals want to be seen by the locals in the area? that doesn't make sense.. plus I believe that Ace cable has ALL THOSE CHANNELS.. why? for one, half of LaCrescent are Viking fans.. and they need to see their games.. so if its good for the goose.. (ACE Cable) its good for the Gander ( D*)...

#7 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 957 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

actually part of LaCrescent, is in both counties.. and like I said, ace has all these channels..

#8 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 957 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

and that would mean that the closer station.. wouldn't get anything.. but the further one would .. plus the GM from channel 10 controls almost all of the stations.. as I spoke to him many times prior to the repeater coming to LaCrescent.. and the CW from Minnesota as well. I really thought he was going to put a CBS repeater there as well. he gave it great consideration..

in the know bob ..

spam firewall