Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

S2 SD tivos rebooting ????

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,592 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:35 AM

Folks have reported that the rebooting stops if the Tivo is disconnected from the satellite feed. That will at least allow uninterrupted playback of previously recorded shows. But you obviously can't record new stuff that way.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   frontiercc

frontiercc

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:40 AM

I'll be following this thread with interest as my two Tivos are doing the same thing. Sounds like I am not alone.

Does anyone have an update on the status with D? (Previous poster indicated that they are working on it. I posted this in another area of the forum here:

"I have a puzzling issue with TWO of my olde TIVO DVRs. (A DVR 40 and an HR 10). They both started spontaneously resetting 2-3 times daily. It's weird, I'll be watching live TV or TIVO and they power down and go to the Gray System restart screen.

Nothing else in the house (like PCs) seem to power cycle, so I suspect it's not my power flickering, but might be. Are these machines super sensitive to voltage drop or something?

It's odd that they both started doing it at about the same time. That leads me to think it's probably not a hardware problem.

I did hard resets on both- still do it. Has there been a software update recently? Any other ideas as to what my issue might be?"

#63 OFFLINE   mhking

mhking

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

I woke up at about 5 or so this morning - my Tivo rebooted; about 615 or so, reboot. 7:05, reboot. This is nuts.

I don't care if it's sunspots or what -- this has to stop.
Wish list of channels for D*: C-Span 3; BBC World News; Sky News International; CBC Newsworld; France24; EuroNews; Eurosportnews; Setanta Sports News; ABC News 24 (Australia); Australia Network (soon to be ABC Asia Pacific); Al Jazeera English; Russia Today; NHK World; DW-TV -- Heck, how about an entire English-language international tier so I don't have to keep switching to my Roku?

#64 OFFLINE   billsnj

billsnj

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

Update on the random Reboots for the TIVO Series 2 DVR's !!

The reboots are now occuring every 1/2 hour. They seem to be, as reported, at :28 and :58 minutes after the hour ex 9:28, 9:58

Check out http://www.tivocommu...o-vb/index.php?
This is the TIVO website forums - there are over 24 pages of threads reporting and dicsussing this problem.
The problem began approx 2 weeks ago - with 1 or 2 reboots per day.
Now it has evolved to every 1/2 hour.
Directv has refused to make any public acknowledgement of the issue.
They are trying to get the customer who call to complain to upgrade from their Series 2 to new boxes.
Something seems very fishy - JUST SAYING !!

#65 OFFLINE   RMichals

RMichals

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

More then 15 hours with reboots on the 28s and 58s after the hour and a couple thrown in between. Very sad situation.

#66 OFFLINE   frontiercc

frontiercc

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:36 AM

Directv has refused to make any public acknowledgement of the issue.

They did acknowledge the problem yesterday via Twitter. Too long to acknowledge it I say, but they did own it eventually.

Still not ETA as far as I can tell. But there are those out there more knowledgeable than I about this issue.

#67 OFFLINE   JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

Went in bedroom to check a 2 hour recording from last night... which was cut up into FOUR "partial" recordings due to restarts

While I was looking at the list... the R10 restarted (at 10:58)

Went upstairs to R10 at exercycle... it had also restarted

I am just about ready to switch bedroom to HD DVR and exercise room to just a standard receiver with no DVR

My two R10 receivers are simply not useable with the constant restarts

#68 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,825 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

I called in to DirecTV to see what they had to say and while on the phone with them, the Tivo rebooted twice. In the end, I accepted an upgrade offer for a HR34 and will move one of my HR21s over to where the Tivo was (attached to a Slingbox). The HR34 is coming tomorrow, so the Tivo is disconnected from the satellite now, so that the existing recordings are viewable.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#69 OFFLINE   alancookie

alancookie

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

we have two directv tivo boxes (series 2, model 100)...within the past couple of days we have noticed both boxes resetting...just confirming what others are seeing. hopefully there is a fix coming

#70 OFFLINE   Heynonny

Heynonny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

Folks have reported that the rebooting stops if the Tivo is disconnected from the satellite feed. That will at least allow uninterrupted playback of previously recorded shows. But you obviously can't record new stuff that way.

OTA HiDef on the HR10-250 records fine and will probably do so as long as the guide lasts.

In 2 weeks plug the sat back in, hopefully long enough to get another 2 week chunk of guide. Rinse, repeat. They'll fix it once the loose series 2s have shaken out of the market.

#71 OFFLINE   JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

Our two "main" receivers are HD DVR HR23 models, with no restart problems

The one upstairs is not a huge deal, but the one in the bedroom IS, since we like to watch something fun before going to bed... and a 2 hour recording that is cut into 4 parts by restarts just won't work

I'm just about ready to order a HD DVR for the bedroom, and a standard receiver for the exercise area, and then see if anyone on eBay is interested in the old DTivo receivers... if not, I'll pull the hard drives and use a USB adapter for computer backups

I'm not ready to go to an HR34

#72 OFFLINE   frontiercc

frontiercc

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

From the consumerist website:

http://consumerist.c...ebooting-tivos/

#73 OFFLINE   UhClem

UhClem

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

but only (a short) time will tell.

I was just on the phone with a very nice, and competent/articulate, Retention Dept. rep discussing this issue, and several others. When I first asked for the status of the "SD DTiVo Rebooting" fiasco, she could only say that "Engineering is aware [blah blah blah]" (she knew it was BS too [unofficially:)]).

Our conversation took a different turn, and a half-hour later, she interrupted me, saying, "Excuse me, I've just received an Alert that addresses the rebooting problem: `Engineering has identified the problem, and it should be fixed by the end of the day.'" That Alert was timestamped 1:34pm CT (today).

Of course, I'll believe it when I (don't:)) see it. But it is the first encouraging note I've heard about.

Let the speculation begin ...

What does "fixed by the end of the day" really mean?

Is it:

1) We've called our contacts in TiVo's software division, and they are starting work on a 6.4b software update this afternoon.

2) We've identified the dumbass way that we "improved" the APG datastream, and (finally) figured out how to: (a)put it back the way it originally was; or (b)achieve the same improvement without wreaking havoc on our [sarcasm]valued customers[/sarcasm].

3) ...

--UhClem

#74 OFFLINE   JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

I just finished talking to the Finance Manager (aka Wife) and got the OK to order new equipment when I came back here one more time

Based on what UhClem said about "fixed by the end of the day" I will hold off another day, to see if the problem is really fixed

#75 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,592 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

Just heard from my DirecTV contacts and the problem has hopefully been fixed. Tivo engineers made some tweaks to the Advance Program Guide (APG) stream, so no software update is required. Note that you may experience one more reset until the new APG data fully downloads to your Tivo. Keeping my fingers crossed!
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#76 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,866 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

I can confirm, the issue has been fixed as far as we know.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#77 OFFLINE   bflora

bflora

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

I ordered a new hr24 to replace my hr10-250 that was constantly rebooting. If I don't need the new hr24 now (the hr10 is hooked to an sd crt tv) is there any problem with just keeping it until I do need it sometime. I know back in the day when i would buy a receiver at Best Buy I was told it had to be authorized within 30 days. Does anyone know if there is still such a policy? I ordered the Hr24 from Dishbuys.com and would have to pay a restocking fee and shipping if I returned it. I have several HD dvr's including an Hr20-700 so I wouldn't mind just keeping the Hr24 for later use.

#78 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,897 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

You can't keep it unactivated. Personally, if you have any HR21-23's, I'd just replace one of them with the 24.

#79 OFFLINE   JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

As far as I know, my R10 in the bedroom did not restart last night... but it recorded a full hour of "we know there is a problem" instead of the results of DWTS on ABC

Sigh... if it isn't one thing, it is another

#80 OFFLINE   Bronco70

Bronco70

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:31 PM

I just received an email from D* stating the problem was fixed yesterday. They are putting a $10 credit on my account.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...